Author Topic: Smart Phone Mounts for Vehicles  (Read 693 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Smart Phone Mounts for Vehicles
« on: January 10, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »
It's my day for asking for recommendations.  =D

Any of you guys use smart phone mounts for your vehicles? I stupidly gave mine away when I sold my last truck, but now decided I need one for the current truck. I mostly need it for viewing navigation as I don't have nav in the truck. For everything else, I have a little indent in the center console where the phone fits perfectly but where I can't see the screen.

My last one was a 12v plug mount, and it worked pretty well I guess. It would occasionally rotate in the mount to where I had to reorient it to the upright position. I don't want a suction mount as I had one of those with a Nuvi a couple of vehicles ago, and it seemed to always come un-suctioned from the window and fall to the floorboard just when I needed to see what offramp to take in an unfamiliar city.

I have seen some that there are vent mounts and cupholder mounts. The cupholder mount seems like a possibility, other than it takes up a cupholder. The vent mounts look like they would put the phone in a good location, but I worry about the mount breaking the vents, plus in the Summer when it's 100 degrees out,  I don't want my AC vents blocked.

Any other types out there? What works good for you? Unless I hear of something that is significantly better, I will likely go back to the 12v mount.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Smart Phone Mounts for Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:27:01 PM »
Standard suction cup type mount. Use one of those flat (optional) discs that you sticky-mount to the top of the dash to provide a good surface for the suction cup to attach to. Modify the phone holder by replacing the suction cup with velcro.  Cover the sticky disc on the dash with the other half of the velcro pair.  I put the hook side on the dash disc.  I think it's easier to keep clean.  Your method of replacing the suction cup with velcro will vary according to the build of the mount.  This works really well for me.  In the hot desert heat of Las Vegas, my previous mounting solution would not generally make it through the summer workday.  I would come out to the car with the Garmin down around the gas pedal. The velcro has not failed once.

I used the cupholder mount previous to the velcro bit.  Works well, but you have to be aware that besides taking up the cupholder, it may interfere with using controls.  I drive an Altima.  4 usable cupholders in the front seat, but the one I was using on the console caused the phone (GPS) to interfere with using the shifter.  I still occasionally use it when I want to use the Garmin in its velcro dash location, plus mount the phone on the console at the same time.  The cupholder is okay, the velcro is better.

Truth in advertising:  This is the actual dash mount I use now  https://smile.amazon.com/iSaddle-Adhesive-Sticky-Holder-Navigator/dp/B01B81CQQU/ref=sr_1_25?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1484105323&sr=1-25&keywords=garmin+mount
Difference is I used velcro to attach the mount to the dash directly.  It's been sticking on there so well that I misremembered the exact setup, having not had to reattach it from heat failure in several months.

If I remembers, and if there is interest, I will snap a pic of it tomorrow and post it.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »
A friend of mine got a mount that fits into the CD slot.  It seems pretty durable and holds the phone firmly.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:04:59 AM »
A friend of mine got a mount that fits into the CD slot.  It seems pretty durable and holds the phone firmly.

This is what I use. Suction cup mount isn't convenient in my car. CD mount is easily reachable, and doesn't fall off when you park it in the sun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IM54O5G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:34:05 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?