Author Topic: Ford bringing back Bronco, Ranger  (Read 3250 times)

Regolith

• friend
Ford bringing back Bronco, Ranger
« on: January 09, 2017, 07:47:38 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ford-finally-confirms-return-bronco-ranger-143000386.html

About time. I was rather peeved when they turned the Explorer into a crossover and ditched the Ranger, as they were on my shortlist for future vehicles when mine finally craps out. Hopefully the new ones will be good replacements.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Ford bringing back Bronco, Ranger
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »
If has the same interior room as the old fullsized ones and 2 door only, manual transmission/transfer case. I'd be game for a Bronco.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 08:11:44 PM »
I will be really interested to see the Ranger and how it compares with the other mid-sized trucks on the market.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »
I will be really interested to see the Ranger and how it compares with the other mid-sized trucks on the market.

Are there any midsized trucks left on the market?  I drove by a new Tacoma today and it was about as large as an F150.  Not everyone is hauling enough concrete to build a house while towing a horse trailer.  Sheesh.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »
^^^The Tacoma, Colorado, Frontier and Canyon are considered the mid-sized trucks.  They are indeed the size of a F-150 back in the early 90's.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 09:46:18 PM »
I have ABSOLUTE confidence that the yuppified millennial moonbats that pass for automotive engineers combined with EPA safety mandates will allow Ford to bring to market a wonderful looking gilded turd.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 09:57:12 PM »
Are there any midsized trucks left on the market?  I drove by a new Tacoma today and it was about as large as an F150.  Not everyone is hauling enough concrete to build a house while towing a horse trailer.  Sheesh.

Chris

Midsized trucks can tow/haul what 1/2 ton trucks did a decade or so ago. 1/2 ton tow/haul what a 3/4 ton did.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Ford bringing back Bronco, Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
^^^The Tacoma, Colorado, Frontier and Canyon are considered the mid-sized trucks.  They are indeed the size of a F-150 back in the early 90's.
Yep almost.  Surely as much hp or torque.  Towing not so much as the old full sized half tons were heavier.

Not quite as wide though.  I owned a 1989 ford f150 and then a 2013 nissan frontier at almost the same time.

I must say i prefer the size of the 1970s to mid 1990s half ton full size pickups over both current fs half tons and compact half tons.  Almost as much interior space but much less bloated on the outside.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 12:21:31 AM »
If has the same interior room as the old fullsized ones [we'll see, the concepts are unclear] and 2 door only[looking good that this will be the case], manual transmission/transfer case. [not going to happen.  I'd bet money]I'd be game for a Bronco.

I've been keeping an eye on Bronco news for a while, as I miss my old '85 full size, and a well done Bronco is one of the few vehicles I can see myself wanting enough to finance.  (man that '85 was a sweet truck)

On the ranger, there's no real need to speculate.  Ford has said they are pretty much bringing the Asia spec Ranger over.  The only question is whether the diesel will make it or our EPA and anti-diesel marketplace will make that engine not worth it.  Which is actually kinda nice, because the Asia spec Ranger is a pretty nice ride, that has already had the kinks hammered out in driving on roads and with loads that are WAY worse than anything US drivers are going to do.
http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/ford/2016-ford-ranger-wildtrak-ar169881.html#main

Let me also say this, because I know how you grouches are:  Mid sized trucks the world over done the same thing that 1/2 tons have in the US over the last 15 years.  People buy these thing because they need a vehicle that can haul stuff, but it's also their daily driver. (in some markets it's a LOT less common to have 2 cars then we in the states)  So makers have put in the same tech, comfort, and luxury items you see in the F150 these days.  Folks in Australia like power windows and seats, nav, and adaptive cruise control as much as folks in the States.  

Yeah, the Ranger is coming back, but it's no longer the cheap cousin to an F-150.  Non-stripped Tacomas MSRP in the states for mid 30's ,and a tricked out TRD PRO is about $43 k.  This same Ranger sells in Australia for  35-40k US.  The "Drive Away Price" in Sydney for the Wildtrack reviewed in the link above is $50,372 US.  I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper, or downgraded from those trucks.

I'm expecting the Bronco to hit at about the same price as an FX4 F150, and to top out at Raptor prices.

Don't get nostalgic about your 1992 four cylinder, manual trans Ranger that was $9500 new, and think that's coming back.  Those are gone for good.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 12:23:54 AM »
I have ABSOLUTE confidence that the yuppified millennial moonbats that pass for automotive engineers combined with EPA safety mandates will allow Ford to bring to market a wonderful looking gilded turd.

The latest generation Ford pickups are pretty damn good, from everything I've heard about them. With Trump curbstomping the EPA for the next four years, maybe the next gen will be even better.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 12:42:54 AM »
I've been keeping an eye on Bronco news for a while, as I miss my old '85 full size, and a well done Bronco is one of the few vehicles I can see myself wanting enough to finance.  (man that '85 was a sweet truck)

On the ranger, there's no real need to speculate.  Ford has said they are pretty much bringing the Asia spec Ranger over.  The only question is whether the diesel will make it or our EPA and anti-diesel marketplace will make that engine not worth it.  Which is actually kinda nice, because the Asia spec Ranger is a pretty nice ride, that has already had the kinks hammered out in driving on roads and with loads that are WAY worse than anything US drivers are going to do.
http://www.topspeed.com/trucks/truck-reviews/ford/2016-ford-ranger-wildtrak-ar169881.html#main

Let me also say this, because I know how you grouches are:  Mid sized trucks the world over done the same thing that 1/2 tons have in the US over the last 15 years.  People buy these thing because they need a vehicle that can haul stuff, but it's also their daily driver. (in some markets it's a LOT less common to have 2 cars then we in the states)  So makers have put in the same tech, comfort, and luxury items you see in the F150 these days.  Folks in Australia like power windows and seats, nav, and adaptive cruise control as much as folks in the States.  

Yeah, the Ranger is coming back, but it's no longer the cheap cousin to an F-150.  Non-stripped Tacomas MSRP in the states for mid 30's ,and a tricked out TRD PRO is about $43 k.  This same Ranger sells in Australia for  35-40k US.  The "Drive Away Price" in Sydney for the Wildtrack reviewed in the link above is $50,372 US.  I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper, or downgraded from those trucks.

I'm expecting the Bronco to hit at about the same price as an FX4 F150, and to top out at Raptor prices.

Don't get nostalgic about your 1992 four cylinder, manual trans Ranger that was $9500 new, and think that's coming back.  Those are gone for good.

I had an 81 with 300 i6, 4speed with granny. It was awesome rusted out 275k shitbox, but I loved it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 08:26:46 AM »
I eagerly await these and to see exactly what configurations hit the US market. Unless they manage to royally *expletive deleted*ck it up they should be good options. The Bronco especially filling what IMO has become a gap in almost every automakers lineup.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »
Midsized trucks can tow/haul what 1/2 ton trucks did a decade or so ago. 1/2 ton tow/haul what a 3/4 ton did.

Which I'm happy about. If you ever use a truck to haul more than a little lumber or groceries or your camping gear, weight in the back adds up fast. The upping of payloads in the F150 is what helped push me into downsizing from my F250. I can actually haul a stinkin' half yard of sand or gravel in my new F150 without going over payload capacity. That wasn't the case with my '02 F150.

On the Bronco, I had an '89. It was a sweet ride with lots of room inside and the chicks digged it (I used to love watching girls in miniskirts work their way up and into the passenger seat  =D ). I do have to say though, and it's only a single data point, it was the only Ford I've ever owned that needed major engine work. It had the 302.

On the Ranger, personally, I think it'll be kind of a bummer if it shows up at Tacoma prices. I think there are a lot of people that want a little pickup as a second vehicle specifically to do "homeowner" type stuff that just requires a bed vs payload capacity. My dad has had a couple of Rangers (currently an '11) that are just regular cab, plain jane rides. Perfect for a short old guy who doesn't want to boost himself into a larger truck (He went from an F250 to the Rangers in his 70's), and just piddles around at his rentals. I think he paid $13K for the current ride.

If the Rangers show up at Tacoma prices, for someone who wants a plain ride, they may be better off looking at an F150 "work truck" that most dealers keep a half dozen of on the lot. I think you can get those for around $20K.

Edit: I forgot to add that when Tacomas were still in the mix when I was looking for a new ride, I do remember seeing a Tacoma "work truck" at a dealer. It was extended cab, 6' bed, 4cyl engine, and had the rear seat delete, which left a ton of room in the back. I think it was like $21K or so.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:44:20 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 10:13:55 AM »
I had an '84 Bronco 4x4, which had limited slip differentials in both front and rear. Getting the limited slip up front meant I had manually locking hubs, but man oh man, that thing would bust through snow like nobody's business. (I lived in Minnesota back then.)

We'll have to see what kind of vehicle Ford actually calls a Bronco - my first car was a '73 Pontiac Grand Am, and there was NO comparison to that abomination of an underpowered econobox Pontiac later hung the name on in later years. Hope Ford doesn't screw the pooch the same way.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »
I think IH should resurrect the scout. And jeep could bring back the old commander and the CJ6 scrambler.
The new bronco ranger will be nothing like the early versions.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
The IH Scout was a neat ride. I had a '72 Scout II. Interesting thing about the one I had, running gear and engine were essentially the same as a Jeep CJ of the same time.
It was essentially a Jeep CJ with a longer, heavier frame and a larger, heavier body.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
My biggest complaint with modern SUV is the amount of room behind the rear seat. Would be nice to take 4-5 real sized adults in decent comfort with 2 extra large dog kennels side by side in the cargo area with shotguns.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
My biggest complaint with modern SUV is the amount of room behind the rear seat. Would be nice to take 4-5 real sized adults in decent comfort with 2 extra large dog kennels side by side in the cargo area with shotguns.

The old Bronco was a space beast.  So much room behind the backseat.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 08:54:30 PM »
The old Bronco was a space beast.  So much room behind the backseat.

Sad that SUVs have shrunk the cargo space, even the ones with a third seat don't have much room after removing the seat.

First and 2nd generation Ford Explorers has plenty of room too, not like the Bronco but better than they do now.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 01:53:02 AM »
We'll have to see what kind of vehicle Ford actually calls a Bronco - my first car was a '73 Pontiac Grand Am, and there was NO comparison to that abomination of an underpowered econobox Pontiac later hung the name on in later years. Hope Ford doesn't screw the pooch the same way.

They claim to be using the same chassis for the Bronco as they are for the Ranger, kind of like how the Explorer shared a chassis with the Ranger before they crossover'ed it. They'd have to work mighty hard to *expletive deleted*ck that up.

Sad that SUVs have shrunk the cargo space, even the ones with a third seat don't have much room after removing the seat.

First and 2nd generation Ford Explorers has plenty of room too, not like the Bronco but better than they do now.

Yup, one of the things I really like about my '96 Explorer is just how much stuff you can cram into it. My dad recently bought a Nissan XTerra that's an overall bigger vehicle (well, taller and beefier, though it's about 10" shorter), but has a much teenier cargo area in every dimension. It's not nearly as useful as a result.