Author Topic: Confirmation Hearings  (Read 5979 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Confirmation Hearings
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2017, 11:17:03 AM »
Just watching a bit of the Tillerson hearings. If this is political theater, the dude is the star of the show. Right now he's making Rubio look like a desperate 12 year old in his first debate.

ExxonMobile is a $268.88 billion company. $349.49 billion in assets. While they don't own as much oil as some state-owned companies, they are the largest refiner in the world.

This is the dollar equivalent of the GDPs of South Africa, Pakistan or Columbia. Not government revenue, THE ENTIRE GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT. If you took the GDPs of the bottom ninety or so countries, you'd be looking as a similar amount of money.

You don't get to be CEO of that sort of company by being a moron or being unable to handle stressful circumstances. That doesn't necessarily mean you want the guy in that position, but it doesn't automatically rule them out. I'd want to be dead certain that the man was being loyal to the country, not putting other things ahead of that.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »
Ted Cruz, in his element:
http://ijr.com/wildfire/2017/01/775136-ted-cruz-steals-the-show-at-jeff-sessions-hearing-with-a-pummeling-for-democrats-that-has-to-be-seen/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=ods&utm_term=ijamerica&utm_content=politics

In the Senate chewing the butts off Democrats or on SCOTUS is where Ted belongs.  Ted shouldn't get the Scalia slot, as that would be too easy.  No, he needs to replace Ginsburg to maximize the number of exploded heads on the Left. Ted is only 46 years old.  We could see him do his thing for DECADES on SCOTUS.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »
Ted Cruz, in his element:
http://ijr.com/wildfire/2017/01/775136-ted-cruz-steals-the-show-at-jeff-sessions-hearing-with-a-pummeling-for-democrats-that-has-to-be-seen/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=owned&utm_campaign=ods&utm_term=ijamerica&utm_content=politics

In the Senate chewing the butts off Democrats or on SCOTUS is where Ted belongs.  Ted shouldn't get the Scalia slot, as that would be too easy.  No, he needs to replace Ginsburg to maximize the number of exploded heads on the Left. Ted is only 46 years old.  We could see him do his thing for DECADES on SCOTUS.

Yes, I was pretty impressed with him yesterday. I can't see any downsides to him in SCOTUS.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 11:43:11 AM »
That doesn't necessarily mean you want the guy in that position, but it doesn't automatically rule them out. I'd want to be dead certain that the man was being loyal to the country, not putting other things ahead of that.

Certainly. I had immediate reservations when I first heard of the appointment. As I've read and seen more, I have to say he impresses me. In his postion, he will have to make clear his separation from his previous life. I think he'll be able to do it, though I believe there will always be gadflys that cast doubt into that.

That goes across the political spectrum I guess. For my own part, I'm certainly guilty of always looking at Obama as being a community organizer versus leaving that behind when he became president.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 11:52:43 AM »
Bit more comprehensive with links that cover different depts as well as how the FBI fudges numbers

https://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/5736845-Fudge-factor-Cooking-the-books-on-crime-stats/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
As to under reported crime stats.

https://aminewswire.com/stories/511071497-chicago-homicides-even-higher-than-reported

An increase in justifiable homicides is still an increase in violent crime, wouldn't have ben a justifiable homicide with out some violent crime to justify.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2017, 10:36:32 PM »
Ted is only 46 years old.  We could see him do his thing for DECADES on SCOTUS.

I'll be in my bunk.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2017, 10:38:37 PM »
I'd want to be dead certain that the man was being loyal to the country, not putting other things ahead of that.

I heard from my neighbor's brother-in-law's uncle's friend that the Russians have all kinds of dirt on him.

They heard that on CNN.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2017, 11:57:01 PM »

I heard from my neighbor's brother-in-law's uncle's friend that the Russians have all kinds of dirt on him.

They heard that on CNN.

Can't be true unless confirmed by Buzzfeed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 06:18:47 AM »
"Can't be true unless confirmed by Buzzfeed."

Silly man. Everyone knows that Buzzfeed takes its fake news direction from Huffington Post and Politico.

And holy *expletive deleted*it, I've never paid any attention to Politico before, but I just visited their webpage...

There are multiple headlines for Trump stories, and with the exception of two that are fairly neutral, every one of them reads like the headline for a hatchet piece. They're all spun incredibly negatively.

I wish I had been paying attention to it over the last couple of years, especially during the election cycle.

I can only imagine the differential in the headlines...

"Hillary walks on water, cures the sick, and feeds a multitude with a pack of crackers"

"Trump kidnaps busload of small children, consumes their souls, and puts them to work as slaves in Trump Plaza kitchen."

And holy *expletive deleted*it, they have a story from May 2016 about how the GOP believes Hillary could cost Democrats in the Senate in the section titled Trump Transition.

How is old news that's going on a year old about the transition?

I think the GOP may be right. Politico isn't a newspaper -- it's a broadsheet for the DNC.

Just read some of the comments on various articles, too...

It's as if they simply linked in Democratic Underground.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:30:54 AM by Mike Irwin »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 10:36:08 AM »
"Can't be true unless confirmed by Buzzfeed."

Silly man. Everyone knows that Buzzfeed takes its fake news direction from Huffington Post and Politico.

And holy *expletive deleted*it, I've never paid any attention to Politico before, but I just visited their webpage...

There are multiple headlines for Trump stories, and with the exception of two that are fairly neutral, every one of them reads like the headline for a hatchet piece. They're all spun incredibly negatively.

I wish I had been paying attention to it over the last couple of years, especially during the election cycle.

I can only imagine the differential in the headlines...

"Hillary walks on water, cures the sick, and feeds a multitude with a pack of crackers"

"Trump kidnaps busload of small children, consumes their souls, and puts them to work as slaves in Trump Plaza kitchen."

And holy *expletive deleted*it, they have a story from May 2016 about how the GOP believes Hillary could cost Democrats in the Senate in the section titled Trump Transition.

How is old news that's going on a year old about the transition?

I think the GOP may be right. Politico isn't a newspaper -- it's a broadsheet for the DNC.

Just read some of the comments on various articles, too...

It's as if they simply linked in Democratic Underground.

The best part is that when Politico started, it was billed as a conservative outfit.

Then proceeded to go full establishment.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »
I'll be in my bunk, photoshopping Ron Paul's face into Kennedy's spot in the SC official group portrait.

FIFY

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2017, 01:52:14 PM »
Mattis answers snowflake's question:

US needs to focus on a military so lethal it will be "our enemy's longest day and worst day when they run into that force."

Perd Hapley

• friend

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »
I was on a hike when I heard that from Sanders or I would have beat you to posting on it. What a freakin' hypocrite. I may have yelled out loud when I heard that line.

Also, Patty Murray was "special" in her grilling of Price. Is she thinking of running for prez in 2020 too?

I again have to applaud Trump's picks. Every one that I have heard was cool as a cucumber under the grilling, and making the dems (and a few Rs) look like spoiled children.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 12:20:39 PM »
Rick Perry apparently had some groveling to do today in order to get his job:
"In fact, after being briefed on so many of the vital functions of the Department of Energy, I regret recommending its elimination."
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 05:07:57 PM »
Steve Mnuchin impressed the hell out of me this morning. He outsmarted every Dem attack on him, to include stuff like actually calling bad loans bad loans. The Dems seemed to think that was gonna be a gotchya, but he turned it around on them beautifully. To include, when he was interrogated about stuff like the "missed $1 on the payment so were foreclosed on" line, pointing out that those foreclosures were incredibly painful for him, because as a private lender, he could have kept them from happening, but because they were Freddie and Fannie, the fed.gov forced him to do so or face legal penalties. :)

Also Claire McCaskill was a pill. I only heard her while driving, but she sounded like she was calling 911 and reporting a murder. Every question was breathless and tense. It sounded like she was working up the vapors and in need of a fainting couch. She especially sounded out of sorts because Mnuchin was so calmly answering questions and deflecting her political statements.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 05:26:28 PM »
Also Claire McCaskill was a pill. I only heard her while driving, but she sounded like she was calling 911 and reporting a murder. Every question was breathless and tense. It sounded like she was working up the vapors and in need of a fainting couch. She especially sounded out of sorts because Mnuchin was so calmly answering questions and deflecting her political statements.

Uh, yup.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
Bit more comprehensive with links that cover different depts as well as how the FBI fudges numbers

https://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/5736845-Fudge-factor-Cooking-the-books-on-crime-stats/

Sgt. Borrelli has company. NYPD Officer Adrian Schoolcraft claims he was forcibly taken from his home and involuntarily put in a mental hospital where he spent six days — in retaliation for complaining his supervisors were cooking the books to make the crime rate seem lower.

:O
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 10:45:45 AM »
I love this not because Musk is supporting Tillerson, but because it is making that jackwagon Michael Mann's head explode.  :laugh:

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/01/25/michael-mann-isnt-happy-with-elon-musks-support-of-rex-tillerson/

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »

Just read the first part, but it occurs to me this is just a natural reaction of a bureaucracy to negative statistics.  If the numbers don't look good, the easiest solution is to find a way to make the numbers look better rather than fix the problem.  The management drive from higher gets geared around the numbers rather than the work it is based on and the grunts at the bottom find it is easier to fudge a little rather than constantly catch grief from higher.  With so much politics involved, add in that they probably know half the stuff they do will make the numbers look worse. 

I have seen this with the statistics from maintenance management systems and the managers over those departments. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2017, 12:36:14 PM »
"but she sounded like she was calling 911 and reporting a murder."

She was...

The murder of the rights of millions of American women, minorities, blah blah blah blah blah...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2017, 06:38:53 PM »