Author Topic: Pain pills gone wild  (Read 1439 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Pain pills gone wild
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
Check out the numbers in this article.  488 pills for every man woman and child.
And how some places are obviously playing games
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/news-health/20161217/drug-firms-poured-780m-painkillers-into-wv-amid-rise-of-overdoses

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Pain pills gone wild
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 10:48:51 AM »
I had total knee joint replacement 5.5 weeks ago. I was amazed at the quantity of narcotics they were prescribing. Norco every 4 hours with Oxycodone for any breakthrough pain and please call if you are running low.
I should sandbag them and sell them on the street to help cover my deductible. I'm currently taking 1/2 tab before PT and again at night.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
I had a gallbladder attack in June of 2016. The VA hospital first stabilized me and then sent me home with a drain in my side. The gave me a huge bottle of some prescription painkiller, which I never opened. In August I went back in and they removed the gallbladder. This time they sent me home with a huge bottle of Oxycodone -- which, again, I never opened. I thought about joking to the doctors that I could pay for the work time I missed by selling the pills on the street, but I don't think they have a sense of humor so I decided to keep my big mouth shut (for once).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 12:17:41 PM »
I had total knee joint replacement 5.5 weeks ago. I was amazed at the quantity of narcotics they were prescribing. Norco every 4 hours with Oxycodone for any breakthrough pain and please call if you are running low.
I should sandbag them and sell them on the street to help cover my deductible. I'm currently taking 1/2 tab before PT and again at night.

That's what everybody on SSI/Disability as alternative-welfare does with their Rx's for Klonopin and Xanax, who's pill-mill diagnoses don't actually need them as a secondary income stream.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »
I'm currently taking 1/2 tab before PT and again at night.

The same half?  I guess how bad that is depends on which direction it returns by.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »
If I had to live in WV I think I'd be hopped up on pills too...  :lol:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »
If that number includes Rxed aspirin it neither shocks nor surprises me.

Globally: Aspirin is one of the most widely used medications globally with an estimated 40,000 tonnes (50 to 120 billion pills) being consumed each year.[5][9] (From Wiki)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
If that number includes Rxed aspirin it neither shocks nor surprises me.

From the article, it includes only Hydro and Oxy.

While I'm aware that a user will normally take multiple pills of it a day, that's still enough for every resident of the state to take a bit over 1 a day, and I doubt that 25-50% of the state are needing daily doses.

Edit: Scrutinizing the article a touch more, it's also over 6 years, so not quite as bad.

Looks like they're largely blaming it on "select" pharmacies that didn't practice good controls, and that, much like what gun grabbers like to do, blaming the drug companies for not realizing that there's no way that a small mom&pop are selling 600 times as many pills as a Rite-Aid next door legally.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »

Edit: Scrutinizing the article a touch more, it's also over 6 years, so not quite as bad.

Part of my question was going to be what time period that covered.  1 year and :O.  6 years and it's still an awful lot, but not nearly so bad.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 06:10:18 AM »
Many if not most of those script are filled on the gov dime, in one way or another

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
Eventually GMO yeast that produces whatever narcotic you want from just water and sugar or some other suitable carbohydrate is going to get out into the wild, and every addict will just have to borrow a pinch of "starter" from their neighbor.

https://www.wired.com/2015/05/genetically-modified-yeast-will-make-possible-home-brew-opiates/
I promise not to duck.