Author Topic: What the World Thinks America Eats  (Read 5767 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: What the World Thinks America Eats
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »
I've never eaten marshmallow fluff.

and the last time I had marshmallows involved a campfire longer ago than I can remember. (unless you count Peeps, because I did eat a few of those last Easter during the great Peeps massacre of 2016)

Also, in addition to the whole based on gas stations/convenience stores rather than actual grocery stores, there's also a lot of general food that I imagine is the same from country to country and won't be specifically in the "American" section or sorted by items rather than country.
Most grocery stores I go in that have sections dedicated to "ethnic" food generally have some overlap in other sections or the "ethnic" is group based on a primary item (like Italian gets in with general pasta which also is where the raman noodles are, boxed food like Hamburger Helper overlaps with taco kits, which leads to the Mexican food and on and on) while the aisle that does really specific "THIS IS ETHNIC FOODZ!!!1!" will only have imported items and such.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2017, 08:29:53 PM »
I was shocked by the candy mostly. I figured m&m's were pretty global. Along with the soda.
I thought the only place you could not get a coke was North korea.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2017, 06:11:06 AM »

I always put it in my chili. I just assumed everyone did.  ???

But not in your cornbread?

Heathen.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2017, 10:39:01 AM »
Hmmm . . . at least they seem to know even most Americans won't eat Spam.   [barf]

(Spam is the reason that while complete animals go into the Hormel meat processing plant, nothing but product comes out. Nothing. )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »
"Spam is the reason that while complete animals go into the Hormel meat processing plant, nothing but product comes out. Nothing."

Oh for...  :facepalm:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »
The British foods is HP sauce and canned pudding.

The water to boil all other flavoring out of your food is on another aisle.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
The water to boil all other flavoring out of your food is on another aisle.

You clearly have never had Beef Wellington.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2017, 08:13:45 AM »
You clearly have never had Beef Wellington.

The Brits just copied that from the French.  British food isn't know to be flavorful, though they are improving.

At least they put some flavor in Chicken Tikka Masala.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »
what I think of the representative food of most countries is even less complimentary than the examples shown of American foods.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »
The Brits just copied that from the French.  British food isn't know to be flavorful, though they are improving.

At least they put some flavor in Chicken Tikka Masala.

Interestingly, most authentic Japanese food is also very bland.

That's why they have all the dipping sauces. (WASABI!, for example.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »

Rice, different rice for variety, seaweed and a little fish.  Ya think that could be a bit bland?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »

That's why they have all the dipping sauces. (WASABI!, for example.)

Or, if it's too bland, they add more tentacles.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2017, 01:47:34 PM »
Rice, different rice for variety, seaweed and a little fish.  Ya think that could be a bit bland?
Quote still no work for me.

You've never been to Japan, have you?  Lots more variety than that.  Beef, pork, chicken, many different vegetables including a lot we don't have here in the US.  Some very interesting and tasty marinades for meat dishes.  Lots more that could be listed.
In all my trips there, I never had a meal in Japan that was boring or bad.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »
As John Cleese said, the reason British food sucks so much is because they had an empire to run.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2017, 04:21:50 PM »
Quote still no work for me.

You've never been to Japan, have you?  Lots more variety than that.  Beef, pork, chicken, many different vegetables including a lot we don't have here in the US.  Some very interesting and tasty marinades for meat dishes.  Lots more that could be listed.
In all my trips there, I never had a meal in Japan that was boring or bad.

Then you didn't eat traditional Japanese food. Get a bento box? Eat at someone's home?

What they have in restaurants is as representative as going to Texas Roadhouse and thinking that's what most Americans eat all the time.

Their staples are exactly what KD5NRH said + Miso soup.

Mind you, I love Miso soup, but it's not exactly bursting with flavor.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2017, 04:43:34 PM »
Then you didn't eat traditional Japanese food. Get a bento box? Eat at someone's home?

What they have in restaurants is as representative as going to Texas Roadhouse and thinking that's what most Americans eat all the time.

This, and same with the Brits: beef wellington isn't exactly what working class folks whip up for dinner every night.

(Though I do wish HEB would stock some mochigome.  Six shelves of long grain rice varieties, and a small rack of Asian food including nori, but nothing right to wrap it around.  WalMart isn't likely to be any better, and Big Lots is always hit and miss.)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2017, 07:58:24 PM »

Actually, yes I did eat traditional Japanese food many times.  Fine dining establishments, akachochin hole-in-the-wall places, and izakaya style restaurants. Cheap and high tone sushi restaurants.  Places that specialized in okonomiyaki and little else.  Bento boxes, factory cafeteria food, onigiri and other grab and go from mini-marts.  Take home from department store basement shops.
And meals at my coworkers homes.  I experienced the gamut of food variety and choices the many times I went to Japan.  It's not all fish, seaweed and rice.  Far from it.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.