Author Topic: Car Ramps?  (Read 5537 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Car Ramps?
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »
Once you take the frame out, most of the other pieces are easy to turn over when you need to work on the bottom of them.

It's not about doing body work, but working on the frame, suspension and drive train at a comfortable height.

There are other apparatuses for doing body work. Front clips are manageable once taken apart, but the body off a full frame car/truck is not.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zahc

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »
I think those were viable 1950s-1970s when more people did general repair on their vehicles, and for the most part vehicles were simpler to work on and many things were just universal from vehicle to vehicle

Shared resources are actually needed even more now, because nobody can afford the $600 dealer tool you need to flush your brakes or other simple things on their own.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2017, 09:25:02 PM »
Shared resources are actually needed even more now, because nobody can afford the $600 dealer tool you need to flush your brakes or other simple things on their own.
27 years of auto ownership covering cars of the 70s, 90s, early and current aughts and I've never been prevented from doing the work I want to do by virtue of lacking a "dealer tool".  There are plenty of alternative processes and tools to get you around that "requirement".

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2017, 11:00:07 PM »
27 years of auto ownership covering cars of the 70s, 90s, early and current aughts and I've never been prevented from doing the work I want to do by virtue of lacking a "dealer tool".  There are plenty of alternative processes and tools to get you around that "requirement".

Chris

Same. I actually can't recall anything I've worked on that required a tool so specialized I couldn't find at the auto parts or hardware store.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2017, 10:54:14 PM »
There are generally workarounds for specialized tooling...even at the dealer level I rarely use what the service manual calls for to do a job
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!