Author Topic: Ice-pocalypse  (Read 5167 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Ice-pocalypse
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:45:50 PM »
Anyone else being threatened with this, or already seeing it?

It was 71 degrees today (STL), but they're predicting up to a 1/2 inch of ice this weekend.

I'm getting prepared.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Ice-pocalypse
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:00:34 PM »
We already had our first snowpocalypes of the year. It finally all melted today.

The residents of the area seemed to have survived, despite themselves.

I wish you better luck in thinning out the heard.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »
We have had three rounds of it since New Years. Haven't had a day above freezing so everything is covered in ice.

I had to drive about 40 miles of I-35 yesterday, didn't get above 25 mph. I'm surprised they didn't shut it down from Hwy 30 to the MN boarder. Freezing rain then water on top ice, no traction or stopping at all.

I couldn't believe how many tractor trailers were in the ditches and medians. They were playing bumper cars with each other, bouncing off bridge abutments. Almost every trailer was ripped open from the collisions and cargo was strewn everywhere. I even saw about 300 yard long stretch of boxed meat that came out of a hole in a reefer then the meat was ran over by a few errant trucks.

Strangely only saw 2 cars in the ditch, the rest were heavily damaged commercial vehicles.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:24 PM »
My wife slipped on our ice-covered driveway yesterday and fractured her humerus at the top of the shoulder.  Fortunately, it is a non-displaced fracture, so 4 weeks of sling immobilization should be all that is needed.  I will have to rearrange my schedule so that I can drive her to work.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 11:38:16 PM »
^ Ick.  Too bad.  It's surprising what a pain it is to perform certain tasks with one wing in a cast.

"Snow-eater" winds came off the mountains for the last couple of days and melted the big pile of snow they left on my parking space when they plowed.

They were warning about another BMF storm coming, but I see no real indication of it on the weather maps here on the close-to-the-plains.  We'll see.  I understand the high country is getting pretty fluffed up from snow.  Lots and lots and lots of avalanche warnings, practically the whole mountain area of the State.  We'll see how many back-country skiers get killed this year.

"Oh, isn't this all so beautiful up here? It's all so peaceful."

"Yes, yesss. I love nature.  It would be perfect except for that rumbling noi

Terry, 230RN

REF:
http://avalanche.state.co.us/forecasts/backcountry-avalanche/front-range/

ETA ~12 hrs later:  Still a big glob of stuff over the high mountains but only a "chance" of snow hereabouts later this afternoon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 10:06:42 AM by 230RN »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 02:01:08 AM »
Was close to 70 here today but below freezing now. Calling for freezing rain from Friday until Monday. Should be interesting.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 03:00:43 AM »
76 here Wednesday.  Ice storm of doom forecast for the weekend.
I think Friday morning ill go buy 5 gallons of milk, 7 loaves of bread and a roll of toilet paper.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 06:12:50 AM »
Going to be mid to high 60s here in DC metro today, after being in the low teens earlier in the week.

Saturday we're supposed to have a wintery mix.

FOAD, Mother Nature/Old Man Winter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 07:38:15 AM »
Saturday we're supposed to have a wintery mix.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/ct-steve-johnson-wintry-mix-talk-20150127-column.html

I've been hearing the term so much in recent years that it now seems almost ordinary, a cliche that weatherpersons cannot wait to trot out. It comes on the heels of such widely used terms as "El Nino," "heat index," "wind-chill factor" and "polar vortex."

Most of those terms, however, are precise and honest in what they describe. "Wintry mix" puts a lace dress on a chunk of wood and asks you to take it to dinner. It is what those in the word business call a euphemism, a nicer way to say something than the thing deserves.

The New Yorker seems to agree.

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/wintry-mix

I don't think "wintry mix" sounds nice at all. It sounds like a phrase intended to destroy brain cells. Men who have said it report a loss of their man cards until the following spring.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 08:09:24 AM »
Was supposed to head to Oklahoma Sunday for the day but with the forecast being what it is, I was told to stay home.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 08:32:21 AM »
Supposed to be taking the Scout Troop camping this weekend.  It's cabin camping this time, so I'm not worried about being able to keep the Scouts safe/dry/warm.  The worry is more about driving home on Sunday.  The cabin is at a Scout camp kind of out in the boonies.  Roads get bad, it may be really difficult to drive the 90 minutes back to home...

(Put being stuck in a cabin with 20 11-17 year olds for more than 36 hours 60 miles from home on the list of things you don't want to do.  Trust me.)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 09:22:40 AM »
(Put being stuck in a cabin with 20 11-17 year olds for more than 36 hours 60 miles from home on the list of things you don't want to do.  Trust me.)

Kick 'em out. It's good training. It'll put hair on their chests, and so on.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 09:23:38 AM »
I had to check my forecast.  It is supposed to rain Monday and get all the way down into the 50's Tuesday.  Gulf Coast Winter hell I tell ya.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 09:24:23 AM »
We already had our first snowpocalypes of the year. It finally all melted today.

The residents of the area seemed to have survived, despite themselves.

I wish you better luck in thinning out the heard.

Ours melted yesterday and I head that exact phrasing about it on the radio: "Looks like we're FINALLY seeing the snow melt"

Finally? The snow fell on Saturday. It lasted 4 WHOLE days. How did we ever survive that!?!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 09:38:54 AM »
I'm right in the ice storm band too.  National weather service issued a winter storm watch, predicting 1/4 to 3/4 inch of ice in Kansas City.

My preparation consisted of making sure my engine driven welder fired up okay (serves as a generator), filling the gas can, and taking a quick once over inventory to make sure I have oil for the saws.

My boss has told us to work from home on Friday.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 02:54:12 PM »
Ours melted yesterday and I head that exact phrasing about it on the radio: "Looks like we're FINALLY seeing the snow melt"

Finally? The snow fell on Saturday. It lasted 4 WHOLE days. How did we ever survive that!?!

Meh. My road doesn't actually get cleared by VDot. Getting to drive out first thing in the morning on packed snow/ice 3 and 4 days after the fact, when all the other roads in the area were completely cleared, was not making me happy. I'm surprised it didn't melt simply due to the heat of my bitching. So, the stress on "finally melted" was due to the joy of the fact that I would not be ice skating in my little car the next morning.
It's just not right that the first 3 miles of your commute should take longer than the whole rest of it.  :facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »
Kick 'em out. It's good training. It'll put hair on their chests, and so on.

A chunk of flint, a good knife and a Sierra cup each, and let them earn the Wilderness Survival badge.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »
Anyone else being threatened with this, or already seeing it?

It was 71 degrees today (STL), but they're predicting up to a 1/2 inch of ice this weekend.

I'm getting prepared.

I like that pic.  Is it from a video game?
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »
I like that pic.  Is it from a video game?

<Right clicks picture>
<Selects "Search Google for Image">
<Links first result>

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-winter-edition

Why, yes it is.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 03:32:43 PM »
It's just not right that the first 3 miles of your commute should take longer than the whole rest of it.  :facepalm:

Welcome to the world of us northern folks.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »

But I don't want to live in the world of the northern folks! I like snow that goes away in a timely fashion.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 09:31:16 PM »
It's kind of funny to watch the TV weatherman back tracking on all the predictions.  They said the NWS posted a winter storm warning until 9:00PM tonight, then pulled it at something like 5:30PM.

Then they started the apoligetics about "Oh well, that's the difference between long term computer models and short term computer models"  and blah-blah-blah and a lot of foot-shuffling and hat-holding and silly grinning.

Epitomizes the remark about "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."

Reminds me of the legendary weather rock out by Grandpaw's back door.  "Rock wet, it's raining, rock dry, it's sunny, rock white, it's snowing."

Terry, 230RN

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 10:19:42 PM »

She identies as Southern, you cisnorthern snowlord!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 10:21:06 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »