Author Topic: Ice-pocalypse  (Read 5177 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Ice-pocalypse
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »

She identies as Southern, you cisnorthern snowlord!

Jiffy boxed cornbread and I don't care.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 11:09:56 PM »
Ice-pock-o-lips ain't supposed to hit here until Sunday Afternoon continuing into Monday.  The boys are out of school Monday and Tuesday.   

Joy.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 11:22:40 PM »
<Right clicks picture>
<Selects "Search Google for Image">
<Links first result>

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-winter-edition

Why, yes it is.

OK, how about this one?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 08:23:57 AM »
It's kind of funny to watch the TV weatherman back tracking on all the predictions.  They said the NWS posted a winter storm warning until 9:00PM tonight, then pulled it at something like 5:30PM.

Then they started the apoligetics about "Oh well, that's the difference between long term computer models and short term computer models"  and blah-blah-blah and a lot of foot-shuffling and hat-holding and silly grinning.

Epitomizes the remark about "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."

Reminds me of the legendary weather rock out by Grandpaw's back door.  "Rock wet, it's raining, rock dry, it's sunny, rock white, it's snowing, rock moving, it's windy, rock gone, tornado."

Terry, 230RN

Had to had a couple.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »
^
<Montgomery Burns voice>  "Ex-celllent."

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 12:45:46 PM »
So, anyone to the west of me (Ohio) want to report in?  Or has the massive amount of ice accumulation knocked out power and internet service to all of you?

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2017, 12:54:34 PM »
So far Kansas City is still dry.  Temp is about 27F.  Forecast has the storm delayed a bit, with things starting around 5-6pm.

Road crews have salted already.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »
It's just not right that the first 3 miles of your commute should take longer than the whole rest of it.

I don't know; it seems perfectly logical for my 4.5 mile commute to work like that.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 01:35:45 PM »
We're getting warnings for Sunday through Monday now. Better check my condiment supply and do the grocery store run.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »
We're getting warnings for Sunday through Monday now. Better check my condiment supply and do the grocery store run.

They are warning of a cold front this weekend. High of 41 and a low of 35.

I probably need to build a fire.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2017, 03:45:17 PM »
It started raining in the mid-morning. The place where I work opens at 8am. We closed at 10. Which seems kinda lame. On the other hand, things were very slow, and were probably only going to get slower.

Right now, there's a little bit of ice on the road, but it doesn't seem all that bad, at least to me. 'Course, we've got two more days of this stuff in the forecast, so...

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 04:44:19 PM »
Nothing here yet in the KC area.  Looks like they missed the time frame of it starting by about 8 hours or so.

Just saw that the playoff game between the Chiefs and Steelers was moved from noon to 7:20 pm to allow road crews more time to clear roads.  Worst of the storm is supposed to be over late morning/early afternoon.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2017, 06:25:39 PM »
First round went 10 miles east of here just got some ice on the windows what hit the ground freeze dried.

Went and got 10 more gallons of gas and 5 more gallons of kerosene amd moved wood in the cabin. Should be able to stay warm for days if we get the heavy stuff they are calling for tomorrow.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »
Looks like this one is going to miss Kansas City.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2017, 01:04:47 PM »
It's kind of funny to watch the TV weatherman back tracking on all the predictions.  They said the NWS posted a winter storm warning until 9:00PM tonight, then pulled it at something like 5:30PM.

Then they started the apoligetics about "Oh well, that's the difference between long term computer models and short term computer models"  and blah-blah-blah and a lot of foot-shuffling and hat-holding and silly grinning.

What I find amusing is that, when I was a kid back in the 1950s, we were in range of the NBC network TV station out of New York City. Their 11:00 p.m. weatherman (they weren't called "meteorologists" back then) was a guy named Tex Antoine. His shtick was that, while he was talking about the weather, he was drawing a sketch on a large pad on an easel of his weather character, Uncle Weatherbee. Each day's sketch showed Uncle Weatherbee dressed in clothing appropriate for the next day's forecast. I'm pretty sure they didn't have computer modeling back then, but ole' Tex was generally a lot more accurate than all of today's computer-generated forecasts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex_Antoine
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »
Looks like this one is going to miss Kansas City.

Going north?

Uranus is a gas giant.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2017, 02:41:17 PM »
They missed on this one.  Some rain. Temps in the 30s.  M minimal icing while camping in Southern Ohio.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
We got a nice picturesque glaze on everything here but nothing serious

crepe myrtle-007 by lmmiers, on Flickr

hot wire-016 by lmmiers, on Flickr

oak leaf-011 by lmmiers, on Flickr
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »
Went to the grocery store to get some veggies to poach the trout I caught through the ice yesterday.

Milk was wiped out, so was all the half and half. Shredded cheese only had a couple packs left. Everything else looked normally stocked.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2017, 07:07:37 PM »
Went to the grocery store to get some veggies to poach the trout I caught through the ice yesterday.

Milk was wiped out, so was all the half and half. Shredded cheese only had a couple packs left. Everything else looked normally stocked.

Even the bread and toilet paper??   :lol:  The shredded cheese actually makes sense.  (any excuse is a good excuse for for nachos)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2017, 07:12:23 PM »
We definitely had some ice around here, but it was definitely not the worst we've seen. The temperatures have been oscillating between just below, and just above freezing, so we never got more than a little glazing of ice. We took the dog out for a walk yesterday, and it just felt like a cold, sopping wet blanket wrapped around you.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2017, 07:19:19 PM »
Even the bread and toilet paper??   :lol:  The shredded cheese actually makes sense.  (any excuse is a good excuse for for nachos)

You require an excuse?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2017, 07:24:34 PM »

Bread was 50% normal for 5pm any evening. Didn't go down the paper aisle, but most people in iowa buy TP at big box stores.

Uranus is a gas giant.

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2017, 08:10:37 PM »
My wife slipped on our ice-covered driveway yesterday and fractured her humerus at the top of the shoulder.  Fortunately, it is a non-displaced fracture, so 4 weeks of sling immobilization should be all that is needed.  I will have to rearrange my schedule so that I can drive her to work.

Mrs. Nixon did that November 5th. She also cracked the top of the radius. She has just this past week turned the corner on recovery. She was at the ortho on Friday and he gave her orders for physical therapy and orders for the trainers at our gym. The gym is affiliated with and on the grounds of the hospital where she was taken for emergency treatment.

Not on ice though. She stepped off an badly marked curb in a parking garage downtown.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2017, 06:13:49 AM »
4:10 AM 16 Jan17...Very light fall of powder onto 1/2"-1" of snow even on the paved areas.

Niiiiice pics, Larry!

I keep those 1-liter packs of powdered milk around, real easy to mix up, and with about 1/4 cup of evaporated milk/liter, is quite passable.  Right now I'm running low on coffee, but I have instant and No-Doze pills.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.