Author Topic: Third Party Batteries for DeWalt?  (Read 738 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Third Party Batteries for DeWalt?
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »
Does anyone use any of the third party batteries for DeWalt cordless tools? The last two batteries I bought, 18v XRPs (both in FEB13) have just now both pretty much failed and are good for about 5 minutes after a charge. Interestingly one of the original batteries that came with one of my tools is still going strong and is two years older.

I use the tools a decent bit, so maybe I'm griping about a lifespan that's perfectly reasonable, but I was thinking of trying some of the cheaper third party batteries and wondered if anyone has had luck with them.

Additionally, we may have had this conversation before, but is it safe to use the L-ion batteries in tools that were sold with the NiCads? That might be another route I'd take, even for the extra expense.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Third Party Batteries for DeWalt?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »
Additionally, we may have had this conversation before, but is it safe to use the L-ion batteries in tools that were sold with the NiCads? That might be another route I'd take, even for the extra expense.

As long as the voltage is the same the tool doesn't care. What I would worry about is trying to charge a Li-Ion battery in a NiCad or NiMH charger ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »
As long as the voltage is the same the tool doesn't care.

I was more concerned with the quality and longevity. I have pretty good luck with third party batteries for my ups units, but was unsure how reliable this form factor is from one manufacturer to the next.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 07:43:45 PM »
As Hawkmoon says, the key is the charger type.  NiMH and NiCad chargers are seldom compatible with Li-Ion batteries.  You would likely have to purchase a Li-Ion specific charger.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 08:38:22 PM »
As Hawkmoon says, the key is the charger type.  NiMH and NiCad chargers are seldom compatible with Li-Ion batteries.  You would likely have to purchase a Li-Ion specific charger.

I actually own this charger, which says it's compatible with all the battery types:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DC9320BP-18-Volt-Charger-18-Volt/dp/B0019Z43J4/ref=sr_1_14?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1484444213&sr=1-14&keywords=dewalt+charger