Author Topic: Bankers  (Read 6521 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Bankers
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2017, 09:20:56 PM »
I think sometimes Republicans confuse being pro-free-market with being pro-business.  Wanting a free market for businesses to compete doesn't mean defending all the anti-free-market stuff they do. The financial industry has done an awful lot of terrible stuff in the recent years and we don't have anything to gain from justifying it.

Fly,
Lawyers become judges, but if a judge was promised a job at a firm after a few years for constantly ruling in favor in their cases we would be a little miffed, no?  Same sort of deal here.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:29:34 PM by cordex »

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 12:08:12 AM »
While I would have (and still would) enjoy watching some/many/most bankers being frog marched into courts and prisons, I would be satisfied if they had just been allowed to enjoy the consequences of their actions.

For example. When JP Morgan Chase was fined $13 billion for it's part in the crisis, $ 4Billion was earmarked to "Haelp Homeowners".  Most of that money went to setup "Homeowners Assistance Centers", where the banks hired employees to process the Loan Modifications of which less then one in ten homeowners actually received any assistance (and mostly that consisted of backloading the interest on their mortgage loans).  Geithner was even questioned by Congress at one point about why there were still over 10 million homes in the foreclosure process.  Turns out that the it was to save the banks, not the homes of their owners.  I spent several months applying, reapplying, filing out paperwork, going to "Homeowner education seminars" put on by the local "Homeowners Assistance Center" after being told time, and time again.  (Because I asked the question every time), that going through the process would remove my  ex from the mortgage.   Then right at the end before I signed anything, they finally came clean and said, that no.  It would not remove her from the mortgage.  Chase then went ahead and reported to the credit bureaus that I had accepted the the modification and further crashed my credit rating and score beyond the damage my ex- did not paying her bills while the divorce was pending.  (I will be forever grateful to those her that helped "bail me out", especially two that are no longer with us.  SADShooter and VASkidmark. )

Anyway, from what I understand less then $400 million (and even that number is dubious) of the $4 Billion actually went to help homeowners.                         

I'm currently suing my ex- for damages, as I have refinanced the house into my name only.  And I can show the e-mails she wrote where she refused to meeting with the bank to work on getting her name off the mortgage and the she wanted to see me thrown out into the street.   SO each month I paid a higher house payment then what I could have had it been re-fi'd up front is damages.    There are a few other things, like allowing our son to participate in his activities that is in the complaint.  It promises to be great fun.   Especially since she won't have a lawyer...

Anyway.  They should have been allowed to fail.  Like WaMu, Bear-Stearn, Lehman Bros.  The lot of them.  Other less corrupt, and healthier banks would have taken their places.   It would have been ugly in NYC for a while, but the country as a whole would be better off.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 07:36:47 AM »
Agree on letting them fail. Anything else is simply un-american, and rewarding failure. This includes bailing out Carrier btw.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 09:00:19 AM »
Even though I like the monopoly guy in the top hat, I also agree that he, and everyone else in any other business, should not get government bailouts when they screw up*. I still very much respect Ford for refusing a bailout while gov.motors took one.

*Though there should be something, not a bailout, but something (I really don't know what) if a bank goes down because of government interference, like forcing them to give loans to people they know can't pay the loan back. Of course the easiest solution would be for gov to butt out. Then if banks choose to do something like give bad loans on their own, it's their fault and too bad if they fail. Same with any business that suffers greatly because the gov forced them to do business in a way that guarantees going into the red.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 06:53:13 PM »

Because jooooooos! Scary ZIONISTS!!   :O

I was concerned you didn't like followers of a 20th century German theoretical physicist.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 08:32:20 AM »
Hilariously, today my state announced it's getting a couple of bucks from a settlement with Moody.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-moodys-settlement-pa-20170116-story.html

In the settlement, the world's second-largest credit ratings agency acknowledged that it didn't follow its own standards in rating the risk of securities backed by home mortgages and the collateralized debt obligations that relied on their health.

The system spread the risk of mortgage defaults to banks around the globe and led to a string of financial collapses in 2008 when people began defaulting on risky subprime loans.

(snip)

Moody's acknowledged that it used a more lenient standard for certain financial products and didn't make public the differences from its published standards.

For those that don't follow compliance regulations, that's admitting to fraud. When you make public statements that do not match your published standards. To put it in gun terms, imagine a gun dealer was selling A+ firearms that were D- junk grade unsafe firearms that had a high risk of blowing up. After the dealer published a guide that all A+ grade firearms were new, tested and inspected for safety. That's fraud.

While I am not blaming the housing market crash on the credit rating agencies, without their fraudulent ratings, the crash probably wouldn't have been 5% of what it ended up. A lot of institutions couldn't have legally invested in BB or lower rated instruments. Though with proper analysis, they should have rated most CDOs as B or CCC. Rating them as BB would have been pushing legal boundaries, but maybe they could have argued it. Instead of AA or AAA. In case anyone was wondering, that's eight or ten places down. No one can or would blink an eye over a difference of one or maybe two rungs. This isn't rocket surgery, the current standards have been around for decades.

Ten rungs means someone is committing fraud. There's no other possible explanation.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 09:36:37 AM »
I was concerned you didn't like followers of a 20th century German theoretical physicist.

Oh, I don't like them, either.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 12:12:33 PM »
For a pretty decent explanation of what happened, the movie The Big Short does encapsulate the Housing Crisis and how we got there.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »
For a pretty decent explanation of what happened, the movie The Big Short does encapsulate the Housing Crisis and how we got there.

Any Michael Lewis book is pretty much an overview of the latest (or next) financial scandal where financial markets violate security laws/regulations, get a bailout from the feds and spend the next decade wrangling over fines that will be a small fraction of the revenue they made from breaking the law.

Serious question, NOT a personal attack, for actually anyone like Fly320s and makattak. Why the "Bankers did nothing illegal" position. Is it a position that you thought was factual (ie you didn't think bankers committed thousands of felonies), or was it just ideological (some kind of "I support capitalism" thing)? Not trying to start a dog pile on anyone, just legit curious and it's near impossible to get actual feedback on that sort of thing.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 02:04:16 PM »
Any Michael Lewis book is pretty much an overview of the latest (or next) financial scandal where financial markets violate security laws/regulations, get a bailout from the feds and spend the next decade wrangling over fines that will be a small fraction of the revenue they made from breaking the law.

Serious question, NOT a personal attack, for actually anyone like Fly320s and makattak. Why the "Bankers did nothing illegal" position. Is it a position that you thought was factual (ie you didn't think bankers committed thousands of felonies), or was it just ideological (some kind of "I support capitalism" thing)? Not trying to start a dog pile on anyone, just legit curious and it's near impossible to get actual feedback on that sort of thing.

I had no idea the bankers committed so much fraud.  I probably didn't pay attention to the reasons back then or maybe it wasn't reported well. As I understood it, the banks played loose and fast with the banking rules, like they always do, and got caught up in the frenzy.  Too many banks playing on the edge of the rules pulled everyone down.   In any case, I still don't have a grudge against bankers as a whole and I don't automatically assume that the next banker in charge of the SEC will act as previous people have.

I am 100% in favor of prosecuting the guys who did break the laws.  Also, I was 100% opposed to the bailouts.  Still am.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 03:52:38 PM »
I had no idea the bankers committed so much fraud.  I probably didn't pay attention to the reasons back then or maybe it wasn't reported well. As I understood it, the banks played loose and fast with the banking rules, like they always do, and got caught up in the frenzy.  Too many banks playing on the edge of the rules pulled everyone down.   In any case, I still don't have a grudge against bankers as a whole and I don't automatically assume that the next banker in charge of the SEC will act as previous people have.

I am 100% in favor of prosecuting the guys who did break the laws.  Also, I was 100% opposed to the bailouts.  Still am.

Gotcha. Sorry if I seemed like I was beating up on you. I concur with Ben's recommendation of "The Big Short". Probably best job I've seen on the scandal. "Too Big to Fail" was an excellent movie based on the book, same title, by Andrew Ross Sorkin. In Too Big to Fail, it was all high level political thriller basically about the government folks trying to keep the economy from tanking and taking down the world economy. Think CEOs and Government Sachs (they hit on the Treasury folks being super sensitive about that) and hundreds of billions being thrown around like confetti.

The Big Short is about the absolute nobodies that weren't complete morons and wondered if they weren't absolutely insane for thinking the US economy was going to implode. The movie is very very close to reality. Hilariously, the points that weren't reality they do an aside to talk to the camera and say what really happened. Some of the investors trust the numbers and make huge shorts against the housing market, others actually run down the asset lists in the CDOs directly.

There's plenty of other fraud. Vaguely remember "robo-signing"? That's illegal in certain states, circumstances, etc. Intentionally misleading investors on valuation? Also illegal. Issuing fraudulent mortgage loans in order to resell them? Also, unshocking, illegal. Hell, mortgage fraud by lenders and borrowers both hilariously skyrocketed. Oh, and banks also illegally foreclosed properties they didn't own. Including properties without mortgages.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 05:53:30 PM »
Gotcha. Sorry if I seemed like I was beating up on you. I concur with Ben's recommendation of "The Big Short".

That was actually Scout. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 08:07:40 PM »
Gotcha. Sorry if I seemed like I was beating up on you.

Not at all. 

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 11:14:48 PM »
That was actually Scout. :)

Probably because we look so much alike.   :P

And yes Rev.  I do like Flys320 and makattack.   I disagree with their views on this, but I have no reason to dislike them... ;)

The Big Short also breaks down how everyone at every level was complicit.  From the realtors, to the mortgage lenders/originators, to the lending banks, to the bond rating companies, to the Wall Street bankers, Fannie and Freddie, to the US government and the Fed. Everybody gave a wink and nudge and passed along the potato.  Then the music stopped....

We may have to watch it again this weekend.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »
It isn't available on NetFlix.  Is on another service?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 08:33:04 AM »

Amazon, I think. I normally just hit my local library, they have a great selection.

Ayep. In the last crisis, absolutely EVERYONE was complicit. Realtors were pushing houses they knew the buyers couldn't afford, generally lying about absolutely everything. Buyers were lying about income and assets. Mortgage lenders were issuing mortgages often on fraudulent basis, to turn around and sell them to someone else. Brokers were fraudulently valuating their products. Rating agencies were fraudulently rating absolutely everything. US government was turning an absolutely blind eye.

It's absolutely amazing amount of stupidity on everyone's part. Thing is, only the banks got paid off for their part. Yes, I am aware that some of the varies funds got paid back. I still count hundreds of billions of dollars at very very favorable rates to be a bailout and preferable treatment.

As far as I'm aware, the only financial scandal that actually had consequences was the S&L scandal were around a thousand people were convicted. Mostly light sentences, highest I think was around a decade in prison. Still some consequences is better than no consequences. Which is why making Treasury and SEC to be an extension of Goldman Sachs (really, other investment banks as well, GS just has the highest percent due to networking) is so dangerous. In the S&L scandal, the regulatory agencies did referrals. Basically, they gave a roadmap to the Justice Department that laid out who broke what law and how. Without that information, the Justice Department is flying blind. And gives them the excuse to not try to even press charges.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »
The problem still exists.  You want someone in charge of the SEC and Treasury who knows what he is doing, but you don't want him to have ties to other people who still work in the industry.  How do you do that?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 10:38:30 AM »
The problem still exists.  You want someone in charge of the SEC and Treasury who knows what he is doing, but you don't want him to have ties to other people who still work in the industry.  How do you do that?

Good question. But you also have a situation where you have people making major money working for a private company, going into government service for a couple of years for comparative peanuts, and then go back to working for said private company. The entire time you have close friends and colleagues working for said private company.

You're a pilot. Suppose you were making a couple of million (or tens of millions) being a pilot. Some buddies pull some strings and offer you a cushy political job at the FAA. Unofficially you get a guarantee from a buddy you'll get a job as a pilot afterwards. If not your old job, something well paying. A lot, if not all, of your buddies work as pilots. Maybe you have family members working as pilots. During that time at the FAA, you have a scandal were pilots were doing something very illegal but not necessarily easy to prosecute. I mean, it can be done, but without you sharing pilot specific information to the FAA, they may have no idea how to prosecute these thousands of rogue pilots.

What do you do? Rock the boat, alienate every single friend you have, put your future paycheck in jeopardy and ensure virtually no airline would ever hire you again, but you'd have the possibility (not guarantee) that you'll put guilty people behind bars. Maybe with light sentences, probably walk free. Or do you hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, collect the govt check and then go back to being a pilot making millions. You have a family, kids and a mortgage. Your buddies have families, kids, mortgages. You know them. You've been to their house.

What do you do? Protect your buddies, your future job? Or throw all of that way to MAYBE get some of your buddies put behind bars?

Not saying this as a dodge. It's still a perfectly valid situation. But you need to find experts that aren't significantly incentivized to ignore illegal behavior.

Current roster of Goldman Sachs folks directly moving over are Secretary of the Treasury Steve Mnuchin, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn and Securities and Exchange Commission Chair is Jay Clayton (one of Goldman Sachs' lawyers). Slightly less than a dozen other Goldman Sachs folks becoming advisors. I would agree that it would be excessive to beat up on one company, except I think it's slightly weird for folks from ONE company holding so many top level positions. Ignoring even previous administrations (of both parties), that statistical distribution is very very off.

I'm far from being anti-capitalism. Far from it, I'm worried about capitalism being corrupted by individuals abusing their government positions for personal gain.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:57:21 AM by RevDisk »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 11:47:50 AM »
Good question. But you also have a situation where you have people making major money working for a private company, going into government service for a couple of years for comparative peanuts, and then go back to working for said private company. The entire time you have close friends and colleagues working for said private company.

You're a pilot. Suppose you were making a couple of million (or tens of millions) being a pilot. Some buddies pull some strings and offer you a cushy political job at the FAA. Unofficially you get a guarantee from a buddy you'll get a job as a pilot afterwards. If not your old job, something well paying. A lot, if not all, of your buddies work as pilots. Maybe you have family members working as pilots. During that time at the FAA, you have a scandal were pilots were doing something very illegal but not necessarily easy to prosecute. I mean, it can be done, but without you sharing pilot specific information to the FAA, they may have no idea how to prosecute these thousands of rogue pilots.

What do you do? Rock the boat, alienate every single friend you have, put your future paycheck in jeopardy and ensure virtually no airline would ever hire you again, but you'd have the possibility (not guarantee) that you'll put guilty people behind bars. Maybe with light sentences, probably walk free. Or do you hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil, collect the govt check and then go back to being a pilot making millions. You have a family, kids and a mortgage. Your buddies have families, kids, mortgages. You know them. You've been to their house.

What do you do? Protect your buddies, your future job? Or throw all of that way to MAYBE get some of your buddies put behind bars?

Not saying this as a dodge. It's still a perfectly valid situation. But you need to find experts that aren't significantly incentivized to ignore illegal behavior.

Current roster of Goldman Sachs folks directly moving over are Secretary of the Treasury Steve Mnuchin, National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn and Securities and Exchange Commission Chair is Jay Clayton (one of Goldman Sachs' lawyers). Slightly less than a dozen other Goldman Sachs folks becoming advisors. I would agree that it would be excessive to beat up on one company, except I think it's slightly weird for folks from ONE company holding so many top level positions. Ignoring even previous administrations (of both parties), that statistical distribution is very very off.

I'm far from being anti-capitalism. Far from it, I'm worried about capitalism being corrupted by individuals abusing their government positions for personal gain.

“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”

-Adam Smith

It's not the bankers. It's the government. Collusive agreements are very hard to enforce without the help of some force. (i.e. government) Get the government's fingers out of everything and the conspiracies become much harder.

Personally, I'm against cronyism as well. It is a necessary consequence of a government that is far too large and involved in the economy.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
Well for starters, by default, banking in its current form is outright evil. So when you say bankers, I say [barf] . Creating interest on something that does not exist...  ;/ It's a fraudulent zero sum game in the long run. It's the bane of humanity.

And... while it is true that "everyone" had a part in the problem, it was the big banks that foresaw the problem, knowingly participated in the ruse and orchestrated a profit from the disaster and misery by using their revolving cronies inside the government to make sure they ended up getting PAID for their part in the fraud and failiure, AKA "rigging the system with malice and forethought to fail in your crap-sales buisness and make money out of it". It was the biggest theft transfer of wealth in history... and justice was not served.

OK, let me put it like this:

Picture me, privileged businessman extraordinaire, knowingly packaging and selling dog-poo, smelly wormy dog-poo. I'm selling this dog-poo as a delicious treat in a really nice quality shiny gold inlayed box, big name brand, FDA stamped... ISO rated. Perfect gourmet. OK, so people buy it, its a good quality deal! I'm making a killing by scooping stuff off of the sidewalk and selling it!! Now everything is fine until people pop the vacuum seal and eat it, then all hell breaks loose. People get sick, kitchens become un-usably stenched and word comes out that my product is in fact... dog-poo. So what happens? Well the people who bought this product obviuosly ate s**t, some small retail vendors that carried my product get sued, un-opend boxes are now worthless and get thrown out, and poor little me goes out of business and stright into prison... or do I?... NO! because I have a roster of former employees positioned at high levels of government in strategic agencies and they insure, through changes in regulation, changes of key definitions, and a blind eye here and there (ALL LEGAL, ALL LEGAL)... that not only did I get approval to push this product onto the public, nor do I get any meaningful punishment for my actions, but that I get reimbursed for the dog-poo stockpile that I can no longer sell... because <I AM TOO BIG TO FAIL>  :facepalm:

So yeah, if these characters ever get strung up, let me know I'll buy a ticket and  [popcorn].
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:10:43 PM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »

What do you do?

Easy question.  Hell yes, I would prosecute those guys.

I've spent all of my professional life having my decisions and actions critiqued as well as critiquing other pilots.  It is normal and proper in my profession.  We all know right from wrong even though we still make mistakes.  The difference is our mistakes are usually minor and almost never intentional.  So, yes, I would prosecute any pilot who intentionally violates safety rules.

I think it all tracks back to personal responsibility.  If I can maintain my professionalism, my responsibility, as a pilot, then those bankers and government employees can maintain theirs.  But, just as I don't want to be judged by the actions of others, I won't prejudge the actions of the new bankers.  Maybe, hopefully, the new guy will be a stand-up guy.  If he isn't, fire him and prosecute him as needed.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

Which brings me to one of the biggest problems I see in business and government: bosses are scared to fire people.  Firings should a quick and simple matter, not a long drawn-out process involving lawyers, counselors, and 42 pages of documents.

I think Trump should change his motto to "Make America Responsible Again" because personal responsibility is sorely lacking in this country.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2017, 04:15:35 PM »
So Trump has put former Goldman Sachs people into very powerful positions in his cabinet.

Of course it is possible that there are good international bankers and bad international bankers or is that just me rationalizing away the facts in my face.

What do you think? Is it possible that there are America first, MAGA international bankers?

Or is that just wishful thinking?

Heidi Cruz did a stint at Goldman Sachs and her husband is considered the "conservatives conservative".

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/30/investing/donald-trump-goldman-sachs-steve-mnuchin/

Do you bring a knife to a gun fight?  A kitten to a dog fight?  A snowflake/SJW to an economic rumble?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.