Author Topic: Chinese knives  (Read 4850 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Chinese knives
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »
I'm the same way with tactical flashlights.  It's not that I can't afford pricier ones, it's that I am cursed by the fact that the more I pay for small items, the faster I will lose them.

My Fenix LD20 lasted 7 years, and saved me a ton of money on batteries, while providing more light than anything in the 2AA size at the time I bought it, and would still be on par with most current lights in its ($75) price range.  Lights are similar to knives in that there is some garbage in every pricing tier, but if you know which brands are good, you can get what you pay for and then some.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 10:35:31 AM »
I have the Ganzo G7211 switchblade and it's become my favorite.

I hope they come out with an OTF someday to the same quality.

I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 11:18:11 AM »
I'm tempted by that Ganzo as it doesn't seem to be a blatant rip-off of anything I'm familiar with, but I don't need yet another knife.

Currently, my "daily rotation" folders include:
Small Sebenza
Canal Street Cuttlery Cannitler
Schrade Tennessee River Trapper (gift to my grandfather in early 2000s and recovered when he passed away in 2014).

Chris

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 02:29:28 PM »
The imported knives I have interest in are the ones sold under the "big player" brand names...Spyderco, Kershaw, etc.  I figure if the quality is good enough for them to put their name on, it's good enough to go with me on a Scout campout...

That said, I'm looking at the Spyderco Persistence or Tenacious.  Got an Amazon gift card burning a hole in my wallet...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »

I just picked up a Kershaw Launch6 from Fletcher's today because impulse.
Really nice knife, but not 4x the price better than the  Ganzo... maybe $20 better due to the steel, though the Ganzo is plenty good enough.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 03:13:19 PM »
I've fondled a couple of the Kershaw Launch knives.  While I really want to like them because of the price point, features, and "Made in 'Merica", they kind of leave me cold.  Of the ones I've fondled, the blade lockup was a touch loose and the action was slower than I'd like.  I'm tempted to try the Ganzo because of the price point, though i don't need another knife...

Chris

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »

Weirdly, PA bans any knife that uses springs. Not that it's truly enforced and many police don't even know that, but technically letter of the law... So, you can buy a SAW, put a suppressor on it and somehow mount a grenade launcher and bayonet on it. Then open carry or conceal carry it (admittedly with a shall issue $15 LTCF). All kosher. 3 inch gravity knife or switchblade? Nope.

What I normally do is get a locking folder, loosen it enough that I can snap it open one handed via wrist flick. Works basically just as well and generally more sturdy than a switchblade, but still kinda annoying.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »
I've fondled a couple of the Kershaw Launch knives.  While I really want to like them because of the price point, features, and "Made in 'Merica", they kind of leave me cold.  Of the ones I've fondled, the blade lockup was a touch loose and the action was slower than I'd like.  I'm tempted to try the Ganzo because of the price point, though i don't need another knife...

Chris

They had a SOG model which I liked better, just not $50 more better :laugh:

The button is a bit gritty on the kershaw, the button on the ganzo is smooth, and it does snap open faster than the kershaw.

Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 05:08:13 PM »
The problem I've been running into with knives lately is that I wish to carry on the weak side, but I still want to be able to open the knife quickly, one-handed. The knives I've been trying up until now, I've had trouble with opening them with my weak hand. The Ganzo 740, after a little bit of break in, opens pretty well.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 07:27:07 PM »
The problem I've been running into with knives lately is that I wish to carry on the weak side, but I still want to be able to open the knife quickly, one-handed. The knives I've been trying up until now, I've had trouble with opening them with my weak hand. The Ganzo 740, after a little bit of break in, opens pretty well.
I might order a 729 next for that reaso- axis lock and a spyderco hole. yes, I'll feel a bit dirty buying it. =|

Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 07:38:33 PM »

My CRKT Mini My Tighe opens with a flick of the assist pretty easily.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »
My CRKT Mini My Tighe opens with a flick of the assist pretty easily.

I bought an assisted-open for just that reason, but it did not work out. I may eventually go to an automatic.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife