Author Topic: CA High-Speed Rail: Over Budget, Behind Schedule  (Read 1242 times)

MechAg94

• friend
CA High-Speed Rail: Over Budget, Behind Schedule
« on: January 16, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/01/14/lat-federal-report-finds-massive-cost-overruns-californias-high-speed-rail/

A new, confidential federal report shows that the initial segment of California’s partially federally-funded high speed rail (HSR) project will come in massively over budget and far behind schedule, the Los Angeles Times reports.
Who would have guessed that a Govt High Speed Rail Construction project would go over budget or get behind schedule.  That never happens.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: CA High-Speed Rail: Over Budget, Behind Schedule
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 01:44:12 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/01/14/lat-federal-report-finds-massive-cost-overruns-californias-high-speed-rail/
Who would have guessed that a Govt High Speed Rail Construction project would go over budget or get behind schedule.  That never happens.   =D

I'm shocked!

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
They should have gone with an even earlier antiquated mode of transportation: "high speed solar powered canals."

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 01:51:16 PM »

. . . and in other breaking news: water is wet.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 02:03:32 PM »
Large government-funded public works projects are an EXCELLENT way to convert public funds into private fortunes; I've little doubt that a sleuth with the resources to pursue this would find undisclosed connections between the elected officials (& their minions in the .gov bureaucracy) who arranged funding for this nonsense, and the people who won the contracts to build, design, and manage it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 02:04:05 PM »
And the funniest part is that the only section that was approved for building is from point middle of nowhere to point slightly left of nowhere. The whole "LA to Sacramento to SanFran" would cost probably 50 times as much.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 02:05:15 PM »
And the funniest part is that the only section that was approved for building is from point middle of nowhere to point slightly left of nowhere. The whole "LA to Sacramento to SanFran" would cost probably 50 times as much.

You dropped a few zeroes there.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 02:30:36 PM »
Large government-funded public works projects are an EXCELLENT way to convert public funds into private fortunes; I've little doubt that a sleuth with the resources to pursue this would find undisclosed connections between the elected officials (& their minions in the .gov bureaucracy) who arranged funding for this nonsense, and the people who won the contracts to build, design, and manage it.

Trump wants to try his hand at it too. I agree with the article, it could work  =|
http://www.redstate.com/diary/jdrucker/2016/12/21/trillion-dollar-infrastructure-play-stimulus-done-right...-wrong/
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 03:37:27 PM »
Large government-funded public works projects are an EXCELLENT way to convert public funds into private fortunes...

How it works in Texas:
1. Siphon off 47% of state fuel taxes for other non-road spending.
2. Promote a private tollway as the only way to build new capacity.
3. Private Firm #1 (PF1) underbids in building cost or over-estimates revenue and wins contract and state issues state bonds to help finance.
4. PF1 builds and starts toll road but then goes tango uniform bankrupt.
5. PF2 steps in, buys up the toll road at a steep discount, and then runs it at the old toll rates, which are now enough to finance the debt.
6. Taxpayers screwed hard about every step of the way. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 12:17:46 AM »
I think I read somewhere that Dianne Feinstein's husband owns shares or is the owner of the company that got the contract.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 07:41:32 AM »
How it works in Texas:
1. Siphon off 47% of state fuel taxes for other non-road spending.
2. Promote a private tollway as the only way to build new capacity.
3. Private Firm #1 (PF1) underbids in building cost or over-estimates revenue and wins contract and state issues state bonds to help finance.
4. PF1 builds and starts toll road but then goes tango uniform bankrupt.
5. PF2 steps in, buys up the toll road at a steep discount, and then runs it at the old toll rates, which are now enough to finance the debt.
6. Taxpayers screwed hard about every step of the way. 
How it works in Austin, TX:

1. Pay a consultant to determine how to manage traffic along Riverside Drive.
2. Get consultant's report that building peninsulas out from the curb to periodically NARROW the road is a great idea, and will have a "traffic calming" effect.
3. Ignore (or denounce and condemn) everyone who points out it's an ineffably dumb idea.
4. Let the contracts and build the peninsulas.
5. Discover(!) that not only are cars damaged by hitting these peninsulas, but bicycles are forced into traffic lanes and traffic actually backs up and is obstructed.
6. Pay more consultants to report that it really WAS a dumb idea.
7. Let new contracts to remove the peninsulas.
8. Profit!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain