Author Topic: Eugene Cernan has passed  (Read 3633 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Eugene Cernan has passed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 03:30:55 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/01/16/eugene-cernan-last-man-to-walk-on-moon-dead-at-82.html

Last man to walk on the moon.

As in, last one to have done it, not the last one still alive.

How sad is it that we have witnessed the death of the last human to have stepped foot on a celestial body other than our planet. Soon, no one who has been on the moon will be alive.

But, we've got boys sharing showers with high school girls. So, PROGRESS!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:41:37 PM »
But the vulnerables all get checks now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »

Normally I don't buy the "greatest generation" BS, but I do admit our priorities have slipped. We're doing decent work sending out drones, and that is a very cost efficient solution for the moment. Makes sense to gather good data before we try moving humans off planet.

But I do worry that we may stick to the cost efficient, rather than jump to the next stage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Direct#Mars_Semi-Direct

Eventually, we have two options. Spread out across the solar system, or die as a species.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 03:59:09 PM »
Very likely the last, forever.  We have gone "handicapper general" on our civilization and expect it to soar to teh heavens.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 04:18:37 PM »
And the outgoing president celebrated the retirement of the Space Shuttle, and the loss of America's manned space flight capability.  :'(   :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 06:42:02 PM »
High Flight

John Gillespie Magee, Jr

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, --and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of --Wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark or even eagle flew --
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 06:46:12 PM »
Eventually, we have two options. Spread out across the solar system, or die as a species.

We don't have to die out.  We will have to scale down or limit the population, but we don't have to go extinct.

We still have alligators, cockroaches, and horseshoe crabs.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »
We don't have to die out.  We will have to scale down or limit the population, but we don't have to go extinct.

We still have alligators, cockroaches, and horseshoe crabs.

I get the cockroaches will work in Washington DC but where do the alligators & crabs find employment?    [tinfoil] [popcorn] >:D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 07:49:44 PM »

Or both!   =)

Or:
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »
I get the cockroaches will work in Washington DC but where do the alligators & crabs find employment?    [tinfoil] [popcorn] >:D

As lawyers and on hookers?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 09:22:57 PM »
Netflix has a great documentary titled Last Man On the Moon.  I recommend watching it.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 10:01:37 PM »
Why is it we have never put another person on the moon? It seams kind of odd.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 10:38:49 PM »

Obviously it is because all that money is better spent on welfare programs.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 11:32:19 PM »
Obviously it is because all that money is better spent on welfare programs.
Cumulatively, about $20,000,000,000,000 so far . . . the annual expense topped $1,000,000,000,000 back in 2012, including everything from direct payments to "free" Obama phones.

Compare these numbers to both the annual deficit and the national debt.

:mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 11:58:29 AM »

Here's a great article about Gene Cernan.  The story revolves around his testimony to Congress regarding the need for space exploration.

http://townhall.com/columnists/robertcharles/2017/01/17/godspeed-apollo-17s-gene-cernan--you-taught-us-well-n2272702
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »

At the time? We beat the Soviets and that is all that mattered to people. Space is hard. We finally sorted out that drones are cheap and space isn't nearly as hard if you don't need atmosphere. That's not a bad idea until we can sort out cheap launch platforms. Currently, ANYTHING that the US government uses to touch vaccum comes with a 100x (maybe couple more zeros) markup.

The moon? Are you friggin kidding me? We could put people on Titan or Eros or Europa. THAT is easy.

Government procurement? Now that is hard, gentlemen.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.