Author Topic: Fireplace Insert 10/10 highly recommend will buy again.  (Read 1152 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Fireplace Insert 10/10 highly recommend will buy again.
« on: January 17, 2017, 01:02:52 AM »
So today we finally started on all the remodeling work on the house.  Re-do the kitchen, the boys bathroom, dining room, install a Fireplace insert and some other minor things that I've put off.

First thing was to install a fireplace insert. I got this one:
https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/fireplaces-stoves/wood-stoves/drolet-escape-1800-i-wood-insert/p-1444444141020-c-6884.htm?tid=7198324058716334669

Took them only about an hour to get it installed.  Much easier and simpler then what we all thought it would take.   Instructions are to build small, low fires the first few times to get things baked in, and to burn off the oils from machining and assembly.  

It took the fan about 30 minutes to kick on.  (It's temperature activated, box has to be hot enough.)  Fan is fairly quiet, not much louder then when the furnace is running.  

Now normally, everyone is usually gone during the day, so the thermostat is set to allow it to drop to 60F during day (It kicks back up to 69F by 2:30pm when the boys get home from school).  

Today was cold, mid 30's, wet and rain off and on all day.  Not brutally cold, but that miserable damp cold that just cuts right through you.  Normally, I would be sitting in a sweater.  Not tonight, smoked a pipe in my T-shirt in the living room once we got back from dinner.  

Even though the construction guys where going in and out all day, the furnace never kicked on and the temp inside never dropped below 69F.  In fact, an hour after they left the temp rose to 72F.

So far, we have burned 10 pieces of wood, including the three pieces I just threw in and then dampered all the down just to see if they will make 8 hours as the marketing people assured me.

Since I can get firewood I want for free, I'm good there.  All you have to do is follow the sound of the wood chipper.  Ask the tree trimmers what kind of tree they are trimming, and if it's a good hardwood, ask if they will dump it in my driveway.  Since they normally have to pay to dump it, most will buck it, and then dump it for free.  We have also have Emerald Ash Borer here, so everyone is cutting down all the Ash trees as they are all either dead, dying, or infested.

So given that my gas bill runs about $150-$180 a month since we opened up the back bedroom, the ROI should be about one heating season.  

It's almost midnight here, and the furnace still has yet to kick on since about 8am this morning.

Seriously considering getting one for the basement fireplace.  Since it burns so little wood, puts out lots of heat, and leaves very little ash behind (it's supposed to be something like 73-86% efficient depending on the type or wood and on how dry the wood is.)

Very, very happy with this purchase.  I knew I should have done this long ago.  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 02:00:06 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Fireplace Insert 10/10 highly recommend will buy again.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:03:13 AM »
I really wish I could find one for a 2 sided fireplace. I only ever load it from the great room side but I enjoy falling asleep with the fire on the bedroom side. My fireplace- great for ambiance, not so great as a supplemental heat source.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:20:55 AM »
Drolet pellet stoves are equally good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 07:19:01 AM »
I'm going to install a gas fireplace insert next year. Pellet stove in the basement when I finish the family room. Thinking about a pellet stove for the three season room.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 07:28:11 AM »
Barring any unforseen disasters, I should have my pellet stove for the next heating season.

I've been slowly saving up my Visa rewards, and I've almost got enough for the stove.

The big question is whether I want to go PelPro or Castle Serenity.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 08:41:19 AM »

I have a pellet stove. I like it. Bit annoying moving around the pellets when they're delivered. 3 tons is 3 tons regardless of the form. Maintenance isn't that problematic. I burn a bag or two per day, and it takes a month to fill the the ash drawer. I clean out the inside of the stove every couple weeks. The hopper is 66 pounds, though I could easily make an extension if I felt like it.

I'm still planning on switching out the old oil furnace for a gas one.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:10:05 PM »
Scout, I am surprised that the EPA hasn't busted down your door and detained you yet for burning wood.  =D :P :lol:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 09:16:10 PM »
Scout, I am surprised that the EPA hasn't busted down your door and detained you yet for burning wood.  =D :P :lol:

When they pry my maul from my cold, dead, hands...

:P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.