Author Topic: "Shall issue" concealed carry nationwide if Fed national reciprocity bill passes  (Read 6089 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...

We differ in our paranoia level I guess.  [tinfoil] :old:  =D

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
There are many interesting details in this bill. It would allow you to carry any firearm that is legal in your home state along with any magazine or ammo to any other state regardless of local or state laws.

By getting the cheapest easiest out of state permit you can, and not worrying about who honors it right now you, will have 50 state nearly constitutional carry.

This bill barely opens up any new angles of attack on our rights, an outright national carry permit could screw us later, but this is a quick stepping stone to 50 state constitutional carry. It will push us so far forward so fast that we won't easily be able to back slide even if the D's get all three branches four or more years from now.

Out of curiosity what state has the easiest and cheapest out of state permit? I know it isn't Florida which requires training and finger prints.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Out of curiosity what state has the easiest and cheapest out of state permit? I know it isn't Florida which requires training and finger prints.

I'm thinking right now it's UT and AZ. You have to figure in how long the permit is good for as well when considering cost. I can't remember the numbers, but my FL is good for 2-3 years longer than AZ and UT.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I'm thinking right now it's UT and AZ. You have to figure in how long the permit is good for as well when considering cost. I can't remember the numbers, but my FL is good for 2-3 years longer than AZ and UT.

IIRC I think Utah requires training and fingerprints. 

VA non-res is $100 bucks for 5 years.  Hunter Ed, or NRA basic pistol, or a DD214 meets the training requirement, IIRC.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend

Pennsylvania doesn't require any training, but as of a couple of years ago you now have to appear in person to apply for the permit. It's good for five years, but I don't remember how much it costs. You can find that info on www.handgunlaw.us

I also don't recall if PA requires a home state permit. There's a little nag in the back of my head that says yes. I know New Hampshire requires a home state permit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
A year or two ago, when I renewed my Utah permit, they required me to have a residential permit in Washington state as well.  I scanned it and send it along with my Utah renewal application.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
IIRC I think Utah requires training and fingerprints. 

VA non-res is $100 bucks for 5 years.  Hunter Ed, or NRA basic pistol, or a DD214 meets the training requirement, IIRC.

Yeah, I had to send fingerprints to everyone. I can't remember all the training requirements - in CA we take a class that lets you apply in several different states. Some states just want classroom training, others require live fire. Oregon would have let me just take an online class back when I had that permit. As I recall when I got all my permits the first time, I just used a combination of the multi-state CCW course certificate and a defensive pistol class certificate, and copies as that was above and beyond for all the popular non-resident permits. Many states will accept a copy of your CCW from another state as the equivalent to proof of training.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
The nose is already in the tent. How many negative federal regulations do we have? How many more were tried and luckily didn't pass? They don't need to do something positive for a change, the nose is already in the tent
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

wmenorr67

• friend
There are many interesting details in this bill. It would allow you to carry any firearm that is legal in your home state along with any magazine or ammo to any other state regardless of local or state laws.

By getting the cheapest easiest out of state permit you can, and not worrying about who honors it right now you, will have 50 state nearly constitutional carry.
[/b]

This bill barely opens up any new angles of attack on our rights, an outright national carry permit could screw us later, but this is a quick stepping stone to 50 state constitutional carry. It will push us so far forward so fast that we won't easily be able to back slide even if the D's get all three branches four or more years from now.

This right here, because of the states that now have Constitutional Carry are growing and if I have read the proposed bill correctly, if your state allows Constitutional Carry the rest of the states have to honor that.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

T.O.M.

• friend
Curious to see one thing...if this passes, will states stop issuing non-resident permits?  Seems to become a moot issue if every state has to honor a home state permit...

A though crossed my mind as I typed this.  Say the law passes, and I can now legally carry in all 50 states on my home issued permit.  I can now carry legally in New York, California, Hawaii...  People in those states cannot get a home permit because of state laws, need-based permits, etc.  How soon until the "equal protection" lawsuits get filed in those states, and all states become constitutional carry?
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
How soon until the "equal protection" lawsuits get filed in those states, and all states become constitutional carry?

Shhhh.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Curious to see one thing...if this passes, will states stop issuing non-resident permits?  Seems to become a moot issue if every state has to honor a home state permit...

A though crossed my mind as I typed this.  Say the law passes, and I can now legally carry in all 50 states on my home issued permit.  I can now carry legally in New York, California, Hawaii...  People in those states cannot get a home permit because of state laws, need-based permits, etc.  How soon until the "equal protection" lawsuits get filed in those states, and all states become constitutional carry?
If they're smart at least one state will continue to issue non resident permits for exactly that reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
I'll go back to reply #6 in this thread.

I wonder how much UT and FL make, after expenses, in Non-res permits ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend

The way I read the bill, it doesn't seem to require that the home state actually issue permits, it only requires that it have provision for permits. That doesn't seem to make sense, but I found the language to be a bit confusing to my non-lawyer dinosaur brain. My thought was that it was written specifically so that people in places like New Jersey and Hawaii, which have permitting laws on the books but are effectively no-issue, would still be able to carry in other states.

Marnoot

• friend
I'll go back to reply #6 in this thread.

I wonder how much UT and FL make, after expenses, in Non-res permits ??

Some (3-1/2 year old) relevant info: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=27268239 . Though that only says how much budget surplus they had for one fiscal year, at the fees charged at the time, and don't separate out what portion came from non-resident permit fees.

zahc

• friend
So what are the chances of this bill passing?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
 =D
NATIONAL RECIPROCITY!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
So what are the chances of this bill passing?

The bigger and better question is probably "What are the chances of this passing without it's having been neutered by liberal poison pill amendments?"