Author Topic: Texas A&M ranks Obama the 5th best U.S. president  (Read 2698 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Texas A&M ranks Obama the 5th best U.S. president
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »

I did laugh when on "Between Two Ferns", the presenter asked President Obama why he was awarded the Peace Prize and he admitted he had no idea. I assume this is the same thing. "Not Bush" award.

President Obama wasn't as bad as most of the hard righters think and say. He wasn't a particularly great president either. He was alright, overall. Part of that is because the President has a lot less power than people believe and it takes a long time to get anything done. Of course, this was my perspective on President Bush (the second one) as well. Not great, not terrible, just helped create more debt and ratchet the government to being slightly more authoritarian.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »
Part of that is because the President has a lot less power than people believe and it takes a long time to get anything done. Of course, this was my perspective on President Bush (the second one) as well. Not great, not terrible, just helped create more debt and ratchet the government to being slightly more authoritarian.

I've been trying to say this to my more Democratic friends and anti-Trump Republican friends.  The power of the presidency is not limitless.  And it takes the feds a long time to do anything.  So relax.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
I did laugh when on "Between Two Ferns", the presenter asked President Obama why he was awarded the Peace Prize and he admitted he had no idea. I assume this is the same thing. "Not Bush" award.

President Obama wasn't as bad as most of the hard righters think and say. He wasn't a particularly great president either. He was alright, overall. Part of that is because the President has a lot less power than people believe and it takes a long time to get anything done. Of course, this was my perspective on President Bush (the second one) as well. Not great, not terrible, just helped create more debt and ratchet the government to being slightly more authoritarian.
Wasn't bad compared to what?  See this thread and lets talk about that.  
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=39981.0

I agree the President's power is limited.  However, that is one of my issues with Congressional Republicans over the last several years is they seemed to do little to obstruct what he was doing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »

???   He was an incompetent ideologue in  way over his head............ [barf] [barf]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 10:05:05 PM »
???   He was an incompetent ideologue in  way over his head............ [barf] [barf]

He was also an unrepentant race baiter, and that puts him WAY below fifth in the rankings of presidents.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 10:08:40 PM »
Not on THIS scale.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 08:43:24 AM »

I've never seen a President in my lifetime that wasn't. And I don't expect to either.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »
That's cute, but I can see an arguement that he's the fifth best president. It's a hard judgement, as it's between him and Carter. Personally, I'd put Carter as 5th and him as 6th, but people could flip that and I wouldn't think it a huge change.

Oh, I forgot the asterisk. 5th best president* in my lifetime, which encompasses 6 presidents (for 2 more days, at least).
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 12:22:40 PM »
I've never seen a President in my lifetime that wasn't. And I don't expect to either.

I have. ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 12:40:50 PM »
I have. ;)

Sigh. Some of us aren't old enough to have known Andrew Jackson.

I'm kidding, last truly competent President was Eisenhower.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »

I would have to mostly agree with this.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
In my lifetime, I put Obama at 2nd worst . . .

LBJ was the worst, thanks to >58,000 dead Americans in Vietnam, a war in which his decisions actively aided the enemy. And his "Great Society" is the #1 source of today's national debt, and all the problems that go along with it.

BHO . . . what can I say? He was the 1st POTUS in which I could never recognize any shards of patriotism - his entire philosophy seems to revolve around diminishing the USA. 2nd worst POTUS overall, since he doesn't have as much American blood on his hands as LBJ.

During his term, I viewed Carter as well meaning, but naive and inept. For a time after leaving office he did some good (Habitat for Humanity) but later became anti-semitic and, well, wacky. So he still gets a solid 3rd worst.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 01:50:07 PM »

Carter was a good man, but not a good President. Probably the best person in that office in a long time.
Jackson was an epic and terrible human being. That committed genocide and murder on a regular basis. Good President however.

Go figure. It's a rough job. It has way more power than it ever should have been allowed, but it's still a lot of responsibility without the power to directly do anything on a wide range of subjects. That's what it was meant to be.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 03:01:52 PM »
During his term, I viewed Carter as well meaning, but naive and inept.

Agreed.

Quote from: RevDisk
Carter was a good man, but not a good President.

Also agreed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 11:16:17 PM »

Eisenhower was competent,  and I was alive (but politically unaware) when he was in office, but I was thinking of another who came later  (note: he was like all men, imperfect, but some republicans want to deify him still).

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 08:24:49 AM »
Eisenhower was competent,  and I was alive (but politically unaware) when he was in office, but I was thinking of another who came later  (note: he was like all men, imperfect, but some republicans want to deify him still).

Meh, Reagan mouthed the right platitudes but his actual track record wasn't nearly as good as the deity that Republicans tried to retcon. He wasn't a terrible President, but he wasn't as great as many people associate him with being. Mostly when folks talk about Reagan, they mean the persona or icon of Reagan rather than the person or actual stuff he did as President. He was a better icon of a President than he was of being a President. That's not common. See FDR, Washington (during his term as President) or Lincoln. Their icon or persona far outweighed who they were as actual Presidents.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »
Meh, Reagan mouthed the right platitudes but his actual track record wasn't nearly as good as the deity that Republicans tried to retcon. He wasn't a terrible President, but he wasn't as great as many people associate him with being. Mostly when folks talk about Reagan, they mean the persona or icon of Reagan rather than the person or actual stuff he did as President. He was a better icon of a President than he was of being a President. That's not common. See FDR, Washington (during his term as President) or Lincoln. Their icon or persona far outweighed who they were as actual Presidents.

Without going through a list of what I consider his mistakes,  I still think you're shortchanging him. 
But atleast you didn't demonize him.    Meh....okay.