Author Topic: Obama Commutes Manning's sentence/Manning to go free  (Read 14077 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Obama Commutes Manning's sentence/Manning to go free
« on: January 17, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »
Sentence commuted.  [barf]

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/17/obama-commutes-chelsea-mannings-sentence-for-leaking-army-documents.html

Nothing to say that wouldn't peg the APS Profane-O-Meters, so I'll just leave this here for y'all to peruse on your own.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:37:10 PM by scout26 »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Obama Commutes Manning's sentence
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 06:18:19 PM »
 Obama has commuted the sentence of Bradly Manning.

About the only positive I can come up with is maybe now the US taxpayer won't be paying for his dickectomy.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/17/obama-commutes-chelsea-mannings-sentence-for-leaking-army-documents.html

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
Re: Obama Commutes Manning's sentence
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Obama Commutes Manning's sentence/Manning to go free
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 08:31:45 PM »
Merginated sans comment.  Otherwise I would have to permaban myself....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:37:25 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:05 PM »
Merginated sans comment.  Otherwise I would have to permaban myself....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ayup.

2 days and change,  and we're at least rid of that clown.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:37:35 PM by scout26 »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 09:23:50 PM »
I thought Snowden did less than that guy.  Maybe I am mis-remembering.  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:37:45 PM by scout26 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 09:36:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/ChampionCapua/status/821506358449238016

Marc Caputo ‏@MarcACaputo 3h3 hours ago

Rubio statement pointedly avoids the first name "Chelsea" in condemning Obama's commutation of the trans soldier's sentence

100 Proof
‏@ChampionCapua

@MarcACaputo You pointedly avoided calling him Senator Rubio. #Vapors #PearlsClutched
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:37:57 PM by scout26 »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Obama Commutes Manning's sentence
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:49:29 PM »

About the only positive I can come up with is maybe now the US taxpayer won't be paying for his dickectomy.

That was my immediate reaction.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 08:16:07 AM »
What is have in store for the goat humping Bergdahl?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »
I'd still like to see a breakdown by ethnicity of the many, many people who he's pardoned or commuted.

The utter absence of comment on this in the news media is . . . suggestive.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 01:56:37 PM »
. . . suggestive.

Suggestive?  Have you been in a coma for the last 8 years?  There is no "suggestive" bias in most of the media.  The bias is blatant and unrepentant.  In many cases the bias is celebrated.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

agricola

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
The thing that baffles me is how much praise Obama is getting for this - as if he wasn't the man in charge when she committed these offences, was arrested for them, was charged with them, was convicted for them and was held under the conditions that she has been.  He isn't even releasing her at once, just dangling her in front of Trump for three months. 
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 03:35:27 PM »
"She"? "Her"? Last time I heard, Manning still had a penis.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 03:53:29 PM »
"She"? "Her"? Last time I heard, Manning still had a penis.

Even if it didn't, can't change DNA.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 04:03:31 PM »
Even if it didn't, can't change DNA.

He'll probably go back to being "Bradley" as soon as he's out of prison.  The whole Chelsea thing was a ruse, and Obama fell for it (probably wanted a date.)  JMO
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 04:06:49 PM »
Well there you go...... it was a tough time for Brad.   ;/

“Chelsea Manning has served a tough prison sentence, so the notion that the average person who is thinking about disclosing vital classified information would think that it goes unpunished, I don’t think would get that impression from the sentence that Chelsea Manning has served,” Obama argued.

Citing the time served and saying Manning’s sentence was “disproportionate,” Obama said: “It made sense to commute, and not pardon, her sentencing.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/18/obama-defends-manning-commutation-amid-criticism-claims-justice-was-served.html

Isn't prison supposed to be tough, well all except for the Fed lockup in Lompoc. ;)

bob

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 04:31:21 PM »
The whole Chelsea thing was a ruse
Well I guess it was an effective one, seems to be a lot of focus on the guy's dick / no dick situation.  

After seeing Clinton & Petraeus avoid jail for mishandled classified info, Snowden idolized in a movie, and Assange being quoted by the president elect, I can't say I'm too surprised to see Manning's sentence cut short. Leaks are just an accepted part of the game now.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 05:55:59 PM »
Isn't prison supposed to be tough, well all except for the Fed lockup in Lompoc. ;)

Don't forget Club Fed in Danbury, CT
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 08:28:38 PM »
“Chelsea Manning has served a tough prison sentence, so the notion that the average person who is thinking about disclosing vital classified information would think that it goes unpunished, I don’t think would get that impression from the sentence that Chelsea Manning has served,” Obama argued.

Citing the time served and saying Manning’s sentence was “disproportionate,” Obama said: “It made sense to commute, and not pardon, her sentencing.”

Let's see. We have a sailor doing a year for taking a selfie aboard a submarine. I haven't heard anything about him photographing top secret equipment, but just for breaking the rule of no photos.

Manning disclosed thousands of classified documents that would have been useful to Al Queda, the Taliban, and other bad actors. The documents compromised some of our troops' activities, and also compromised collaborators. In WWII he would have been executed. But now seven years is "disproportionate"?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 09:28:01 PM »
Well I guess it was an effective one, seems to be a lot of focus on the guy's dick / no dick situation.  

After seeing Clinton & Petraeus avoid jail for mishandled classified info, Snowden idolized in a movie, and Assange being quoted by the president elect, I can't say I'm too surprised to see Manning's sentence cut short. Leaks are just an accepted part of the game now.
Did Assange ever personally mishandle or steal our classified information?  I thought he just received it from people who did.  I am sure there are lots of other examples besides him.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 10:27:13 PM »
Let's see. We have a sailor doing a year for taking a selfie aboard a submarine. I haven't heard anything about him photographing top secret equipment, but just for breaking the rule of no photos.

Manning disclosed thousands of classified documents that would have been useful to Al Queda, the Taliban, and other bad actors. The documents compromised some of our troops' activities, and also compromised collaborators. In WWII he would have been executed. But now seven years is "disproportionate"?

Actually, the equipment he photographed would have been at the minimum "confidential" depending on where in the engineering spaces he took the shot.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 12:11:03 AM »
Actually, the equipment he photographed would have been at the minimum "confidential" depending on where in the engineering spaces he took the shot.

One report I read said there was a sonar screen in the background.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 07:40:22 AM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Obama Commutes Manning's sentence/Manning to go free
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 07:56:52 AM »
It is a well written story and I don't believe it.
?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I