Author Topic: Oregon gun laws  (Read 1498 times)

zahc

• friend
Oregon gun laws
« on: January 17, 2017, 08:25:42 PM »
I am getting recruited to the Gresham, Oregon area, just east of Portland.  Or at least, they are trying, but I hear housing prices have really shot up recently, and I despise commuting.

What are the gun laws like? Better/worse than North Carolina?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Oregon gun laws
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 12:53:11 AM »
Hey, we'll practically be neighbors. Gun laws are ok-ish. Just passed mandatory background checks for private party sales. Suppressors are legal. Currently no AWB or magazine size nonsense, but I expect that to come down the (sewer) pipe soon. Concealed carry preemption on a state level, so no municipal silliness if you have a CHL. Open carry preemption if you have a CHL (some cities have an open carry ban). Multnomah County is super liberal, but depending on where you're working can be in slightly more conservative Clackamas county without too much of a commute.

If you want to, shoot me a PM and I can send you my number and we can talk and answer more questions you may have.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 07:26:35 PM »
As typical for 3rd party recruiters, they are bidding $20k too low. So it probably won't happen. Intel layed off almost 2000 people from its development fab in Hillsborough, so I don't know why they are reaching across the country anyway. Still, it's fun to scheme.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:18:13 PM »
As typical for 3rd party recruiters, they are bidding $20k too low. So it probably won't happen. Intel layed off almost 2000 people from its development fab in Hillsborough, so I don't know why they are reaching across the country anyway. Still, it's fun to scheme.
Seeing if you will take less money than those 2000? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 09:41:37 PM »
Hillsboro, or Hellsbario for those of us that used to live there.  Ex-wife still lives in my ex-house there.
You're probably better off for it not getting any traction.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:06:41 PM »
Well, if things change, let me know and I'll be glad to answer what I can.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 04:05:02 AM »
If you do get recruited and end up working in the Hillsboro area, then Yamhill County isn't a bad place to live. Yamhill, Carlton, and McMinnville are smaller towns with decent housing prices all within reasonable driving distance (about 45 minutes to an hour). I live in-between Carlton and McMinnville, and one of the neighbors down the road from me works for Intel and makes the commute.

Yamhill County is pretty solidly red, and our sheriff has promised not to enforce the background check law (for what that's worth, anyway).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 07:48:46 AM »
I declined the on-site interview. They said the salary range is 90-100, maybe 110k. I told them truthfully that I could not see it working out for less than 140k. I have closed salary gaps before, but $40k is not a salary gap, it's a salary. Even if I did get them to stretch that far, the folk wisdom in the industry is that doing that makes you the first layoff target.

Still, declining an expenses-paid interview is not good salesmanship, because the smart thing is always to accept the interview, even for practice, and to make contacts, and be very enthusiastic, and then try to negotiate higher. Without the on-site interview, there's no way they are going to come up on the salary for someone they never met. Also, at my last company I did not get the first job, but they were inspired to call me back a couple weeks later for a different job that I took. When I put it this way, I'm kicking myself in the butt for not siezing possible opportunities, in violation of my "stochastic hill-climbing" method of career planning.

But, the three good reasons I did decline are 1) I'm very busy this quarter with travel 2) When company ownership changes in February, all my PTO is paid out, so I would effectively forfeit 3 days pay to make the trip, which would be more expensive for me than the trip expenses would be for them and 3) I don't want to live that far from family, and pastor says to stop chasing money. My bil turned down a $40k raise to move a couple hundred miles, for family reasons, so I would feel bad moving across the country.

Although me and my wife are both in the mood for a big move. I think we are nomads. We don't so much settle in anywhere, as eventually get sort of bored with anywhere. An exception was Dallas. That almost became "home", but we were there 7 years too.

Oregon is the only West-coast state I could live in. I have told 3 recruiters this year that I simply won't move to California for all the tea in China, and I invite them to call me back if the company ever establishes facilities in a free state. I wonder how often they hear that.
--Tallpine