Author Topic: Mattis is In!  (Read 1180 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Mattis is In!
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:57:53 PM »
Mattis is in, 98 to 1. Gillibrand voted against. For some reason Sessions didn't vote. Don't know if it's because of his current status or what.

http://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2017/01/20/mad-dog-is-back-sec-mattis-gives-a-shout-out-to-the-intelligence-community-in-message-to-dod-employees/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Mattis is In!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:20:49 PM »
Great!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 10:21:46 PM »
Oorah indeed.  Hope he can keep his soul in that cesspit.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »
98 to 1

gonna be hard to get riled up about obstructionist democrats on that one.
I'm sure there will be other opportunities.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:03:54 AM »
gonna be hard to get riled up about obstructionist democrats on that one.
I'm sure there will be other opportunities.

Well, as excuses go, she has a fairly reasonable one. She would prefer the SecDef be a civilian. Which is a fairly reasonable concern.

Now, overwhelmingly the senators [and] members of the armed services committee, me included, have expressed enormous gratitude for the extraordinary service of General Mattis, that is not in debate,” said Gillibrand. “But if there is no civilian, in all the world, as of today in this moment, who can meet the needs of the incoming administration, then who is to say that there will be no civilian in the future who can meet the needs of this administration, should they need another secretary of defense, or the next administration?”

Honestly, toss up between whether she really believes that or is not happen with Mattis not supporting social engineering being a higher priority than combat effectiveness. I'd give her the benefit of a doubt. She likely has no idea how worshipped Mattis is by... Well, everyone. Or that while I think it's unlikely that even Mattis can reform the DoD, if anyone can, he's the only one who potentially could.

Still 100-0 would have been more preferable than 98-1, but for an insanely divided political landscape, that's already a miracle.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 06:02:54 AM »
I found it amusing that the Youtube clip of Gillibrand questioning Mattis was like a mirror image of Trey Gowdy going after someone on the left. Mattis basically punted each time she asked about women in combat and LBGTs in combat, and instead stuck to his talking point about combat effectiveness. Personally, I thought he gave a weak performance. If that had been Gowdy instead of Gillibrand, and a Democrat instead of Mattis, we would all be chortleing over how effectively the senator destroyed the appointee.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
In other news Gillibrand suddenly collapses in the Senate chamber; clutching her throat as if someone was choking her.

Political positioning, remember that Gillibrand is a piece of Legacy Clinton hardware. It is going to be her or Warren that is the next leader of the party. A principled looking vote like this is good campaign material, especially to the loony make pussycats not war crowd.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.