Author Topic: We still need pilots.  (Read 4594 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: We still need pilots.
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 10:54:09 AM »
I talk to pilots all day long, and an increasing number of them have various accents. 

Same thing for controllers.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
About $220k/yr for a captain and around $150k for FOs depending on equipment.  Most airline pay scales top out at 12 years, but there are still COLA raises after that.

One thing you might not realize is that $220k/yr is based on roughly 15 days/month of work. 
Is that for the guys flying jumbo jets on international routes?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 12:10:38 PM »
Same thing for controllers.

As long as they are speaking understandable English that is a bonus. I remember the first time we flew into Djibouti, what a cluster that was. We may as well have had total radio failure for the quality of communication we had going on. :(

bob

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »

What's the going rate for washouts in poorly maintained G-21s?

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »

Domestic A320 captains for a US carrier.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 01:31:00 PM »
What's the going rate for washouts in poorly maintained G-21s?

Tree fiddy.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »
Tree fiddy.

I just need a G-21, a drunk mechanic and a hot on-and-off girlfriend, then.

Oh, yeah, and to go back and finish the license someday.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2017, 12:02:32 AM »
honestly, i'm considering a career change. either moving into development or flying.

I passed my private checkride in mid November at 42 hours. I'm now at about 100 hours. I wish I had done this a decade ago.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 01:53:29 AM »
In interesting timing, this was in Stars and Stripes when I cam down this morning.:

https://www.stripes.com/air-force-chief-seeks-to-lower-commercial-flight-hour-requirement-1.452920

Apparently the Air Force is also feeling the squeeze.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 07:16:34 AM »
In interesting timing, this was in Stars and Stripes when I cam down this morning.:

https://www.stripes.com/air-force-chief-seeks-to-lower-commercial-flight-hour-requirement-1.452920

Apparently the Air Force is also feeling the squeeze.

I'm sure they are, but that headline is exactly backwards.  The AF Chief wants to raise the commercial hiring minimums so he can hang on to his pilots longer.

The headline: Air Force chief seeks to lower commercial flight-hour requirement

The body: The Airline Safety and Federal Aviation Administration Extension Act of 2010 was signed into law after the 2009 crash of Colgan Air Flight 3407 in Buffalo, N.Y. Pilot error and insufficient airline safety procedures were identified as factors. The subsequent legislation addressed safety of flight, including raising the number of hours from 250 to 1,500 that a non-military pilot must have before being hired by a commercial airline. Military-trained pilots are required to have 750 hours.

The military felt the impact of the rule change. Getting 1,500 hours of flight can be prohibitively expensive for non-military pilots, whereas military pilots can rapidly obtain the hours required. Those active-duty pilots are often lured to leave the military by the commercial sector, Goldfein said.

To get hired at a FAA part 121 airline (commercial airlines) a person needs a minimum of 1,500 hours.  But to get hired at a part 135 (smaller planes, air-taxi, corporate, etc) only requires 250.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 07:56:25 AM »
To get hired at a FAA part 121 airline (commercial airlines) a person needs a minimum of 1,500 hours.  But to get hired at a part 135 (smaller planes, air-taxi, corporate, etc) only requires 250.

My understanding of the article is that the Air Force Chief would like to lower that number to whatever it was pre 2010, so that more civilian pilots can get started and more military pilots will stay in the Air Force.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 08:18:56 AM »
What's ironic is the Air Force doesn't seem to be aware of the reasons people are getting out

Friend of mine who is about to pin major and is a c-130 pilot says

"Why would i stay in when I can take my 2000 hours in a c130 and go make more money with less bullshit"

The military is blissfully unaware, as a whole, of the real reasons for its talent drain
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
My understanding of the article is that the Air Force Chief would like to lower that number to whatever it was pre 2010, so that more civilian pilots can get started and more military pilots will stay in the Air Force.

That makes sense, but it doesn't work.  Even back then it was about a 1:1 ratio of civilian to military pilots getting hired.  I think it has more to do with the state of the airline industry than the hiring mins.  Job markets suck?  Stay in the military.  Every airline is hiring?  Leave the military and enjoy the good life.