Author Topic: Lady Gaga's halftime show  (Read 2283 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Lady Gaga's halftime show
« on: February 06, 2017, 12:28:11 PM »
Just for kicks I watched a Youtube video of Lady Gaga's halftime show. I was expecting some anti-Trump screed, lots of vulgarity, and ridiculous costumes.

I was pleasantly surprised that there was no politics, but rather some praise for America. No vulgarity, and costumes weren't vulgar.

Amazing that a pop star figured out how to do a show without offending half the country. Hats off to her.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Lady Gaga's halftime show
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 12:37:06 PM »
I felt the same. She went the high road. If everyone did it her way, there would be a chance for dialog. Sadly, progressives bashed her for not pulling a Meryl Streep.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
You two are just not clued in: she sang 'Born this way', which of course is an anthem in support of the LGBTBBQ crowd, for which any right-thinking conservative would criticize her.  Or at least so I read this morning on my Facebook feed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 01:28:21 PM »
And don't forget "This Land is Your Land" was a protest song from the 30's, or so I read.

I read an article about the "hidden meanings" in her show. I guess I am among the clueless in America, until I saw that I just figured it was a decent show. The drones were kind of cool.

bob

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »
You two are just not clued in: she sang 'Born this way', which of course is an anthem in support of the LGBTBBQ crowd, for which any right-thinking conservative would criticize her.  Or at least so I read this morning on my Facebook feed.

Being subtle about it is still along the high road in most cases.  The High road doesn't mean that you can't disagree with somebody, it means that you follow certain standards.  Standards that maximize the chances of you having a productive debate that can actually settle differences, as opposed to an argument where the only 'winning' is by exhaustion, or physical *expletive deleted*it-throwing contests.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 01:38:50 PM »
The drones were very interesting, and I read this article about them:  https://www.wired.com/2017/02/lady-gaga-halftime-show-drones/

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 01:47:20 PM »
I watched the video.  It was a pretty good show.

Lady Gaga (even if you don't like her style and/or message) has quite a bit of artistic talent.  That let's her build an interesting show that still sends a decent message, and lets her tailor her shows to the audience.  I imagine her early shows at gay clubs in NYC were different then her mainstream stadium shows.

Performers with less talent and ability have to make their show memorable by shoehorning in overt political/racial messages. (or breasts)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 01:52:35 PM »
The drones were very interesting, and I read this article about them:  https://www.wired.com/2017/02/lady-gaga-halftime-show-drones/

Synchronized programmable drones are entertaining for sure, and you can see them providing a wow factor like fireworks. They’re easier to control, allow for more elaborate effects, and are reusable. But the technology offers far more practical, and potentially life-saving, applications.
“I see them searching for a lost hiker with multiple drones at night with the right payloads looking for them,” says Nanduri. “Or search and rescue efforts after a landslide, when it’s hard to get people on the ground.”
There are commercial applications, too. Instead of sending humans to inspect hazardous areas of, say, a construction site, send a few dozen drones. And what better way to inspect hectares of crops than to outsource it to a fleet of quadcopters?

We already use a $150 off-the-shelf FPV unit to do visual inspections and photography of solar arrays, and there are companies out there running them with IR cameras to look for hot spots in large arrays.  Others have them set up to do programmed photo passes, which can then be used to create point clouds for impressively high-res 3D modelling of very large things.  GPS-based drones on programmed flight paths are a natural match for stuff like VisualSFM, where lots of angles make for better models, and higher accuracy positioning paired with a laser or ultrasound scanner can get really amazing results from limited effort.
Some of these critters can handle a 30mph wind, while still maintaining 6 inch accuracy in their flight path, so they're a real boon when you need a close up of a hold down bolt that's in the middle of a large array, and only visible from above.  A drone that costs less than a few minutes of helicopter flight time is the natural choice, and dangerous winds only risk a little equipment damage, not the lives of a pilot and inspector.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 03:32:57 PM »

Performers with less talent and ability have to make their show memorable by shoehorning in overt political/racial messages. (or breasts)

Snort-giggle.  What an image, that !

Actually, several images.

Well, two, anyhow.

Terry (in his high school sophomore mode)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
Snort-giggle.  What an image, that !

Actually, several images.

Well, two, anyhow.

Terry (in his high school sophomore mode)

Just for you, Terry :)

"It's good, though..."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 06:47:38 PM »
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 07:59:17 PM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 09:35:05 PM »
Leave it to Negan to figure a new way to "spike" the ball....... [popcorn]

Deflategate revisited.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 09:42:04 PM »
MKHam and the Federalist applaud.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/06/lady-gaga-tom-brady-made-america-great-sidelining-boring-partisans/
She transitioned to the Pledge of Allegiance, pointing at the sky for “under God” and adding special emphasis to “for all.”
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
She transitioned to the Pledge of Allegiance, pointing at the sky for “under God” and adding special emphasis to “for all.”

I noticed that, too. Surprised me.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2017, 11:05:34 PM »
Just for you, Terry :)

You scoundrel, you.

I came across that one a while ago while I was searching for something about comic book covers.

Held it in reserve, waiting for the right pouncable moment to pounce with it.

Blast you !  Foiled again !

:rofl:

Terry

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 10:38:15 AM »
Just read a student column in the Ohio State newspaper crying the blues about how Lady Gaga missed the opportunity to stand with all the disaffected little flowers, and how she's lost SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much support for the entertainer.

Then she goes on to call her father an ultra conservative, and blah blah blah blah blah. Just more of the same bullshit.

Were I her father, I'd give her a quick lesson in reality and true conservativism...

You're cut off. Figure out how to pay for your own Bioethnographics of Woman Values in 4th century AD underwater basket weaving cultures degree...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.