Author Topic: One Nerd Ruler To Rule Them All!  (Read 2161 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
One Nerd Ruler To Rule Them All!
« on: February 06, 2017, 02:22:52 PM »
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/digi-key-electronics/PCB-RULER-12INCH/PCB-RULER-ND/5767550

http://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%20Sheets/Digi-Key%20PDFs/PCB-RULER-ND_7-DEC-2015.pdf

Digi-Key sent this to me today. I don’t know if I got one because I bought a couple of LED drivers from them, or if it’s just because I was on their contact list. Of course, it’s actually made from FR-4, or some other kind of PCB laminate, with what appears to be copper plating in various places. (Maybe I should cut it up, and make some knife scales out of it.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: One Nerd Ruler To Rule Them All!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 06:31:30 AM »
Why would the Pakistan Cricket Board hand out rulers made of Polychlorinated Biphenyls?

Was it mandated by the President's Council of Bioethics through a Proposed Committee Bill?

Sounds like a Politically Correct Buzzword to me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »

Seen a similar one at Adafruit. Definitely useful, but not sure how tempted I would be at $5 plus shipping.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:13:47 AM »
I like the idea of AvE's version better, even if it costs twice as much.  It uses a more common measurement scale.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 11:57:52 AM »
Ultimate Nerd Ruler:

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 12:28:11 PM »
No.... THIS is the true nerd ruler...

My Father had one of those on his desk until he replaced it with one of the first generation HP programmable calculators in the early 1970s.

He also had one of these bad boys... A Curta mechanical calculator...

I've got it. I also have my Grandfather's Curta. He and Dad were both engineers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »
I've got it. I also have my Grandfather's Curta. He and Dad were both engineers.
A Curta is on my short list of "expensive things I have absolutely no use for, but would still love to own for some reason."  Another mechanical calculator on that same list is a Norden bombsight.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 02:36:18 PM »
A Curta is on my short list of "expensive things I have absolutely no use for, but would still love to own for some reason."  Another mechanical calculator on that same list is a Norden bombsight.

This...

On both counts....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 05:11:10 PM »
A short ton of Curtas on sale on Fleabay right now, with very high reserves and the like.

But I couldn't find a single with with a single bid on it. Lots of lookyloos, but that's about it.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 05:56:15 PM »
A short ton of Curtas on sale on Fleabay right now, with very high reserves and the like.

But I couldn't find a single with with a single bid on it. Lots of lookyloos, but that's about it.

That's the Catch-22. You want an expensive calculator, to help you compute large numbers, but since you don't have an expensive calculator to help you compute large numbers, you're unable to properly budget for one.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »

That's the Catch-22. You want an expensive calculator, to help you compute large numbers, but since you don't have an expensive calculator to help you compute large numbers, you're unable to properly budget for one.

The Catch-22 is that a Curta today is a nostalgic paperweight, and you can buy a solar-powered electronic calculator at Wal-Mart for under ten bucks that does far more than the Curta, and faster. I would love to have one, too, "just because," but I can't justify spending big bucks to buy one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 11:01:30 PM »
Sure, now.  But the $10 Walmart one won't appear on Antiques Roadshow in 2053. 

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.