Author Topic: Stockchoker  (Read 901 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Stockchoker
« on: February 09, 2017, 09:09:05 AM »
This was kinda fun. For those who dabble in individual stocks, you can armchair quarterback and go back to see what you would have made or lost. It was interesting to me, because there were a couple of stocks that in the past I had thought, "I wish I would have gotten into them ten years earlier". However when I checked the dates, I would have made less than the shorter term investment.

If nothing else, it's a reinforcer for just buying indexes.  =D

http://stockchoker.com/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Stockchoker
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »
That's pretty neat.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »
You mean like when I bought $500 worth of Sherwin Williams the day someone filed a lead paint suit? Stock crashed, I made 20% in two weeks as reality returned. About $7400 15 years later. Lol.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 02:00:28 AM »
This was kinda fun. For those who dabble in individual stocks, you can armchair quarterback and go back to see what you would have made or lost. It was interesting to me, because there were a couple of stocks that in the past I had thought, "I wish I would have gotten into them ten years earlier". However when I checked the dates, I would have made less than the shorter term investment.

If nothing else, it's a reinforcer for just buying indexes.  =D

http://stockchoker.com/

I'm confused.  Did you mean "I would have made less than the longer term investment?"

And do you mean even considering the time value of money, i.e., inflation?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
I'm confused.  Did you mean "I would have made less than the longer term investment?"

And do you mean even considering the time value of money, i.e., inflation?

No, I mean individual stock fluctuation. See the 20 year chart for yahoo as an example. If you bought a stock at $50 in 2000, but it's only $45 now, you've lost both money and time. If you bought it in 2010 at $15 and sold it now at $45, you made a profit.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."