Author Topic: Moar Firefly ??  (Read 3772 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Moar Firefly ??
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:42:25 PM »
Fox is open to re-booting the series, but only if Whedon is involved:

http://epicstream.com/news/Fox-is-Open-to-Rebooting-Firefly-But-Only-Under-This-Condition

However, just to be a Debbie Downer about this prospect, remember Joss Whedon has recently gone full blown Anti-Trump 'tard, so re-boot Jayne may be an SJW, Mal will probably spend every episode looking for his safe space on the ship, Simon is apologizing for the patriarchy, with Inara calling everyone a homophobe, and Zoe joins BLM.   Kaylee's only line (repeated over and over) is "Why is everyone so angry?" 

Everyone will be rooting for the Reevers by episode 3.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
Re: Moar Firefly ??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:34:55 PM »

http://epicstream.com/news/Fox-is-Open-to-Rebooting-Firefly-But-Only-Under-This-Condition

However, just to be a Debbie Downer about this prospect, remember Joss Whedon has recently gone full blown Anti-Trump 'tard, so re-boot Jayne may be an SJW, Mal will probably spend every episode looking for his safe space on the ship, Simon is apologizing for the patriarchy, with Inara calling everyone a homophobe, and Zoe joins BLM.   Kaylee's only line (repeated over and over) is "Why is everyone so angry?" 

Everyone will be rooting for the Reevers by episode 3.

They ought to put Tim Minear in charge. He's the one that gave the show its libertarianish flavor. Whedon can still write the dialogue, I guess, so long as Minear gets a Taser to use on him when he goes off the rails.  >:D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 11:18:42 PM »
I was and am a huge fan of Firefly, but the time when they could reasonably pick it back up and maintain the quality has come and gone.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »
I was and am a huge fan of Firefly, but the time when they could reasonably pick it back up and maintain the quality has come and gone.

This.  Picking it back up would be akin to season 5 of Babylon 5, an effort for continued revenue at the loss of what made the show special.  Better to let the live action lay as it is having taken the Farscape path (series ended too soon, major plot points wrapped up with a movie).

If Fox REALLY wants to bring the 'verse back, how about some tales of other ships out in the black.  I'd love to see more of the this ship and her passengers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B24h1SYIxEc&index=32&list=FLdTH8GNxCD1fYPgt2WSQajA
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 12:14:30 AM »
I'm with Regolith.  Without Tim Minear around to kick Whedon in the jimmies when he gets off track, a rebooted Firefly wouldn't work.
If Minear had the same involvement as the first series, then I'd definitely give it a look.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:12:54 AM »
Watch all modern media at your own risk. It seems like it is all leftist propaganda these days.

Some years ago I turned off cable and the internet. Well into that experiment my sister and bro in law came to stay with me to help get their finances together.

They couldn't survive without cable/internet so they had it hooked back up.

Every program I watched seemed to bombard me with images and messages contrary to my view and understanding of what is reality and what is good. Even the most benign of programming was filled with messages supporting a progressive world view, just by taking that world view for granted as the norm.

I'm renting a room to a friend currently. He pays for internet to be hooked up here and enjoys movies so I'll occasionally watch a movie. My opinion hasn't changed.

We like to think that if we are looking for it or because are well grounded in our philosophy/worldview that propaganda won't work on us, that we're immune. Those who've studied the "art" of propaganda would beg to differ. It will effect you, if you are "nudged" enough you will succumb. You will just rationalize that you've looked at the evidence and made a rational choice to change your opinion.

Cthulhu may swim slowly. But he only swims left.

The Hegelian Mambo  (Progress Toward the Abyss)
Thesis step to the left,
Thesis step to the left,
Grab Antithesis on your right and step to the left,
Twirl around
Synthesize
cha cha cha
And step to the Left…

Anything Whedon is dead to me, *expletive deleted*ck him.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:58:33 AM »
Watch all modern media at your own risk. It seems like it is all leftist propaganda these days.

Some years ago I turned off cable and the internet. Well into that experiment my sister and bro in law came to stay with me to help get their finances together.

Every program I watched seemed to bombard me with images and messages contrary to my view and understanding of what is reality and what is good. Even the most benign of programming was filled with messages supporting a progressive world view, just by taking that world view for granted as the norm.

I'm renting a room to a friend currently. He pays for internet to be hooked up here and enjoys movies so I'll occasionally watch a movie. My opinion hasn't changed.

We like to think that if we are looking for it or because are well grounded in our philosophy/worldview that propaganda won't work on us, that we're immune. Those who've studied the "art" of propaganda would beg to differ. It will effect you, if you are "nudged" enough you will succumb. You will just rationalize that you've looked at the evidence and made a rational choice to change your opinion.

The Hegelian Mambo  (Progress Toward the Abyss)
Thesis step to the left,
Thesis step to the left,
Twirl around
Synthesize
cha cha cha
And step to the Left…

There was a time in the recent past where I would have told you to just get over it and enjoy the show. However, I've really noticed this as well in the last few years. It's one thing to have "anti-heroes", like Boyd Crowder in Justified, but for every Justified, there seem to be a dozen shows that want to overtly force into the script some political or social statement that is the antithesis of my world view. They don't do it in the same way as old shows, like All in the Family, but in a smarmy SJW way. In the same way that got me to vote for Trump.

I get tired of "grey hats". Sometimes I want white hats and black hats, people who try to do the right thing, and heroes that ride off into the sunset.

On the OP, I agree about loving Firefly, but it's too late for those actors to make a comeback. It would be like Star Trek 6, senior citizens in space. Also, Joss Whedon has lost his mind. He's like Seth McFarland after Bush won. I used to love Family Guy, where they made fun of everyone pretty equally, but after the BDS it turned into political propaganda and became unwatchable. In the past, I had respected Whedon for having far left views but being able to set aside his views to produce a great libertarian style show. I don't think he could do that anymore.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »
This.  Picking it back up would be akin to season 5 of Babylon 5, an effort for continued revenue at the loss of what made the show special.  
Just in  J. Michael Straczynski's defense, B5 was originally supposed to run for 5 years, but at the end of Season 3 the network was making noises about killing it off after Season 4, so JMS tried to wrap things up in 4 seasons instead of the original 5. But then, the network decided it actually wanted that 5th season after all, so they had to rush to extend the story line beyond what was originally planned. And as you pointed out, the show suffered.  

Quote from: scout26
However, just to be a Debbie Downer about this prospect, remember Joss Whedon has recently gone full blown Anti-Trump 'tard,
Hadn't heard that about Joss Whedon.

That can be a problem - politics has ruined more than one show. M*A*S*H went downhill as it moved from comedy to political commentary (when the episode really sucked, you could tell that Alan Alda would be getting directors credit at the end.) And years ago my mother initially liked the comedy Designing Women, but after a year or two it became a full-bore leftist program with the producer (Linda Bloodworth-Thomason) coming right out and saying she HAD to move the show left, since people weren't voting for Democrats in sufficient numbers for Congress to remain Democrat and support Clinton.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »
Just in  J. Michael Straczynski's defense, B5 was originally supposed to run for 5 years, but at the end of Season 3 the network was making noises about killing it off after Season 4, so JMS tried to wrap things up in 4 seasons instead of the original 5. But then, the network decided it actually wanted that 5th season after all, so they had to rush to extend the story line beyond what was originally planned. And as you pointed out, the show suffered.  
Hadn't heard that about Joss Whedon.

That can be a problem - politics has ruined more than one show. M*A*S*H went downhill as it moved from comedy to political commentary (when the episode really sucked, you could tell that Alan Alda would be getting directors credit at the end.) And years ago my mother initially liked the comedy Designing Women, but after a year or two it became a full-bore leftist program with the producer (Linda Bloodworth-Thomason) coming right out and saying she HAD to move the show left, since people weren't voting for Democrats in sufficient numbers for Congress to remain Democrat and support Clinton.

Yeah, I loved Babylon 5, and give JMS a lot of slack due to having to deal with the fathers of the lame network execs that killed Firefly.

I also wholeheartedly agree regarding MASH. I loved the first few seasons. I loathed most of the episodes in the the last few seasons. If memory serves, I don't think I even watched the last season except for the finale. I think they may have been the precursor to what we see now regarding insertion of production team politics into a series.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 11:26:32 AM »

The Hegelian Mambo  (Progress Toward the Abyss)
Thesis step to the left,
Thesis step to the left,
Twirl around
Synthesize
cha cha cha
And step to the Left…

Got rid of back in 2010.  And have not missed it.  

And to what Ben said about "white hats" and "black hats".   Sounds like it's time for me to go get High Noon and The Man who Shot Liberty Valance from the library.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 12:09:49 PM »
My dad has taken to watching The Lone Ranger, takes him back to his youth when plots were simple and bad guys easy to spot.

Whedon's commentary from Serenity the history of Earth that was:
" The forming of the alliance causes a power so great that there is no way it can justly rule over the entire universe so I'm dealing with the people on the fringes who are going 'you don't belong here, you don't belong on our soil. Yes you guys are progressive, you've got great medicine, an incredible health care plan, you've got freedom of religion, you've got all these great things. We don't have all that stuff and some of our customs are arcane, some of them are maybe a little barbaric, but we have a right to be ourselves.' And that's where the utopian vision stops because whenever you create some kind of utopia you find something ugly working underneath it and that's basically what this movie is about."

If he could reread that, how could he not see the parallels to the fringe planets of red state America that soundly rejected the promise of utopia?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 01:30:06 PM »
I've noticed a lot of leftist who write these things seem to have some serious cognitive disconnect when it comes to political themes.

Whedon and Firefly is definitely one of them. The other one was The Hunger Games, which was written by someone way out on the democratic left and in protest of the Bush administration, but ends up with a huge anti establishment message and the rich, "cultured" urban rulers beat to *expletive deleted*it by the poor rednecks... Anyone see how that relates to recent events?  :lol:

As far as a Firefly reboot... Naw, let it be for now. Maybe in 20 or 30 years someone can revisit the 'verse and that might be cool but I think there is some unintentional magic about how it ended and why it ended that makes it so poignant. Bringing it back now would be somehow wrong.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 02:51:19 PM »
I did without TV for about half my life (never had any kind of cable/dish/anything), but I started watching some shows on Hulu. I don't even do that since last year. I tried watching some silly sitcom, and they just inserted some ad hoc virtue signalling, plus slandering anyone who doesn't want dudes in the ladies' room. It doesn't really bother me, but I just don't feel like being abused, so...

Plenty of stuff to watch on YouTube, or physical media. I read a lot more now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
Some years ago I turned off cable and the internet.
And yet here you are.

There's probably something about babies and bathwater that applies here.

M*A*S*H went downhill as it moved from comedy to political commentary
Then you weren't paying attention, it's always been political, even from the original movie.  The entire series was an anti-war, anti-Vietnam show, but portrayed during the more acceptable Korean "conflict".  The politickin' was just more subtle at times.

Chris

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 10:00:43 PM »
my life improves dramatically with wifi, lack of a computer hurt bad but was compensated a bit by a smartphone , I could do without TV though- as long as I don't see spoilers wrt walking dead.
but a roku box good high speed wifi would be awesome - along with PC for research etc
I like some of fox news, some of local news - just to get a heads up with what the authorities want me to know.
I have to start doing twitter, its a good way to get news but facecrack takes up so much time now-i have to avoid it in the morning because it makes me late for work.
Firefly

Elvis has left the building, but certainly there are plenty of other stories in that universe? There must be plenty of heroic rebels yearning for freedom
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 11:28:52 PM »

Elvis has left the building, but certainly there are plenty of other stories in that universe? There must be plenty of heroic rebels yearning for freedom

Were I a fancy pants TV exec I would want to see the life story of the Shepherd before he was one.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 11:45:50 PM »
Yes, the cast is too old now but you can still film them and rotoscope them young again.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »
Yes, the cast is too old now but you can still film them and rotoscope them young again.

they're talking re-boot, not bringing back the original. That means new cast.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 01:10:09 AM »
I'll pass. Will not spend a dime on Whedon.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 01:18:49 AM »
they're talking re-boot, not bringing back the original. That means new cast.

Bah. A cast like that only comes around rarely. There won't be the same chemistry that made the original so fun.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2017, 01:25:15 AM »
Bah. A cast like that only comes around rarely. There won't be the same chemistry that made the original so fun.
Absolutely right.
In my opinion Firefly needs Mal, Wash, Zoe, Kaylee, and Jayne.  The other characters were less important to the feeling of the show. Bringing the original actors back would be a stretch, a reboot with a new cast would be a disaster, and trying to tell another story in the same universe would be disappointing.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2017, 12:52:18 PM »
Were I a fancy pants TV exec I would want to see the life story of the Shepherd before he was one.

http://firefly.wikia.com/wiki/Serenity:_The_Shepherd's_Tale
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »

It suffered quite a bit from the original stretch that didn't cover all the stuff between seasons 2 and 3 with its own season or spinoff series.  (The rest of the Jeffrey Sinclair story on Minbar, Ranger training, Catherine Sakai's disappearance, etc...and yes, I am biased because I wanted Julia Nickson to have more screen time when she was at her hottest.)  And if they were looking for season 5 filler, they could have done the rest of the closure that was in the comics.  (Sinclair's "at long last I've finally found her" message.)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 07:52:05 PM »
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."