Author Topic: No wonder web forums are dying  (Read 5113 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 06:22:58 AM »
Oh, that is independent of the texting.

Chris

Almost missed this...

It's all part of a very rich tapestry!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: No wonder web forums are dying
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
see!
I have no idea what that reference is, I missed a lot by not being here.
i only had phone so didn't participate.
We used to have this thing called "thread drift" in the old days.
I would ask a question about this thing called "myspace" and the thread would end up about how dumb it was to even use myspace.
Which, in its day, was a wonderful way to find out about music and date  girls with similar taste in obscure country metal bands.

You like countrymetal bands?
OMG I like countrymetal bands!!
(Not a grill)
7-11 was a part time job.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 12:42:54 PM »
Facebook groups quickly get annoying with 25 people posting the same articles or memes within a week, then new members repost them months later. And then there's teh stupidz arguing 45vs9mm at hyper speed, as if I didn't get sick of seeing that crap 25 years ago...
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 07:23:21 AM »
Facebook groups quickly get annoying with 25 people posting the same articles or memes within a week, then new members repost them months later. And then there's teh stupidz arguing 45vs9mm at hyper speed, as if I didn't get sick of seeing that crap 25 years ago...

I'm seeing that issue now.  I joined a Pistol Caliber Carbine groub on Facebook and it is just the same questions over and over.   I also joined a Dillon Precision group and, although the same questions come up, it is more useful information.  The biggest problem with the Facebook discussion is that there is no search function.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 12:56:57 PM »
I'm seeing that issue now.  I joined a Pistol Caliber Carbine groub on Facebook and it is just the same questions over and over.   I also joined a Dillon Precision group and, although the same questions come up, it is more useful information.  The biggest problem with the Facebook discussion is that there is no search function.

The biggest issue with Facebook discussions is that nobody knows where the search function is. Look just underneath the group's photo for the "search this group" text box.

Oh, and you can follow threads on there without commenting, too. Click on the top right part of the thread you want to follow and select "turn on notifications for this post".

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2017, 01:08:50 PM »
The biggest issue with Facebook discussions is that nobody knows where the search function is. Look just underneath the group's photo for the "search this group" text box.

Oh, and you can follow threads on there without commenting, too. Click on the top right part of the thread you want to follow and select "turn on notifications for this post".

Well, how about that.  Thanks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

markdido

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
I tried to register at a smaller, topic-specific gun forum and got this message:
I'm not sure I'll bother.  This is not a high volume board, they probably get in a week what a board like TFL gets in an hour.  I doubt they have a significant problem with spammers.  

I tried registering at a trumpet forum several months ago.  My registration has to be approved by an admin.  Nothing.  Attempts to email the admin, based on the system generated email I got, have gone unanswered.

Chris

Have you heard of The High Road.

www.thehighroad.org

The mods don't let the conversations get into the weeds. Lots of good info too,
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 10:05:37 PM »
Have you heard of The High Road.

www.thehighroad.org

The mods don't let the conversations get into the weeds. Lots of good info too,

This is a bit like wondering into a Domino's and asking if anybody there's heard of pizza.  :lol:

APS was founded as an off-topic board for THR. The vast majority of APS regulars came here from there.

Also, most of us haven't gone there since the hostile takeover.  =|
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 06:37:37 AM »
And THR was an off-shoot of TFL when TFL closed down for several years about 12-14 years ago or so.

TFL is back, and has been for a number of years now.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 07:36:15 AM »
I lurked at TFL through the late 90s and joined in mid 2000.  I joined THR right when it started (as part of the exodus from TFL), then came over here when Oleg moved the THR subforum, Roundtable, to a dedicated forum called ArmedPoliteSociety.  So yeah, I've heard of it. :)

Chris
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:09:51 AM by mtnbkr »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 07:44:22 AM »
"then came over hear"

How's that APS Soundstar v0.02 working for you?

Still buggy?

I keep telling you, it's the chair to keyboard interface that's the problem.

:rofl:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »
Because you've never typed the wrong word.  Ever.  :P

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2017, 08:49:48 AM »
Because you've never typed the wrong word.  Ever.  :P

Chris

And don't you forget nit!