Author Topic: American College of Physicians issues new back pain treatment guidelines  (Read 1085 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-02/acop-aco020717.php

http://annals.org/aim/article/2603228/noninvasive-treatments-acute-subacute-chronic-low-back-pain-clinical-practice

These recommendations will not make a lot of people happy.  In America, we generally want the quick fix, and things like yoga, massage or biofeedback sounds like work.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: American College of Physicians issues new back pain treatment guidelines
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »
ohhhhhhhh..

That's going to make a lot of people very happy  :mad: . Now if the docs will just take it to heart. :)

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 10:19:59 PM »
When my back laid me out in 2013 the back doctor sent me to PT. Helped a bunch. Unfortunately the arthritis that is one of the underlying causes is still progressing. X-rays in October came back with the diagnosis of "moderate to severe arthritis, lower lumbar and right hip". I was having problems walking more than 5-10 minutes. In my case a little pharmaceutical help was warranted. Mobic (meloxicam) and Tylenol got me moving again. I started walking every day. First for 15 minutes at a time and gradually built up. I like ot get out at least 4 days a week to walk and I've gone 5 miles several times but usually keep it to around 3 miles in a session, more due to time constraints than anything else. Weather and other things have kept me a little more sedentary for a couple of weeks and I'm starting to stiffen up again.
Weather is improving so back to the grind.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »
I absolutely vouch for yoga and specific stretching exercises. Call me a hippie all ya want, I'll happily smile back at you pain and medication free.

I hardly ever have back trouble anymore, because between the yoga and just piddling around the farm, plus having a stand up desk where I do a lot of stuff, I don't put my back in bad situations. For a while there when I was working, between being a big guy in a cramped tiny cockpit, and sitting at the desk a lot when I was in the office, then zoning in the recliner when I got home, I was having really bad lower back issues. That's when my doctor at the time first got me into yoga and gave me a stretching regime designed for the back. I actually started to see improvement within a couple of weeks.

Depending on the yoga, it can be hard. I started with the Budokan regime. I thought all yoga was sissy stuff, but the yoga portion of Budokan kicked my butt harder than the martial arts part when  I first started, mostly from the strength side. I couldn't even finish the beginner regime the first couple of times.

I have a DVD called "Yoga for Inflexible People". Takes you through some of the same general exercises as Budokan, plus a lot more, but in a much easier fashion. Highly recommended for anyone that wants to try yoga out but wants to start slow. It's more focused on stretching than on strength. I think Netflix has a bunch of beginner stuff on streaming.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 10:52:16 PM »
If been thinking about yoga to give my body a work/stretch out. I spend a lot of my time working on my ass in a car seat, so I need something to move all my joints. I know I feel a lot better when I get my regular bike rides in when the weather is nice.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
Like Road King, I have that dang osteoarthritis in my lower vertebrae and right hip.  I mostly just live with the discomfort,  and still manage to get around.  I believe in "better living through chemistry", and welcome the relief that Mobic, Tylenol and Norco provide.   :)