Author Topic: Is NOTHING sacred?  (Read 2246 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Is NOTHING sacred?
« on: February 15, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
https://vinepair.com/booze-news/walmart-sued-craft-beer/

http://coed.com/2017/02/15/walmart-lawsuit-fake-craft-beer-trouble-brewing-company-info-details-updates/

Wal-Mart is being sued for selling store brand "craft" beer that's not craft beer. In fact, it's produced by a Costa Rican plant owned by weasel pee brewer Genesee Brewing Company, under a nomme-de-bloom "company" that apparently doesn't exist.

Looking on the bright side, it's one thing Wal-Mart is (or was) selling that's not made in China.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Is NOTHING sacred?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »
https://vinepair.com/booze-news/walmart-sued-craft-beer/

http://coed.com/2017/02/15/walmart-lawsuit-fake-craft-beer-trouble-brewing-company-info-details-updates/

Wal-Mart is being sued for selling store brand "craft" beer that's not craft beer. In fact, it's produced by a Costa Rican plant owned by weasel pee brewer Genesee Brewing Company, under a nomme-de-bloom "company" that apparently doesn't exist.

Looking on the bright side, it's one thing Wal-Mart is (or was) selling that's not made in China.

Costco is selling beer now that says "Craft" on the label so many times it must be fake.  ;/ But it tastes pretty good for $20 per case, so who cares? 
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:18:40 PM »
I think the Kirkland Signature craft beer was made by the same contract brewer that also does Trader Joe's private label beer: Gordon Biersch in San Jose. .

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:42:01 PM »
Stuff like this is why I don't drink beer anymore. I've moved on to craft malt liquor. It's made by really small, local breweries. You've probably never heard of them.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:50:22 PM »
I think the Kirkland Signature craft beer was made by the same contract brewer that also does Trader Joe's private label beer: Gordon Biersch in San Jose. .

It might just be the Kirkland light beer, but I thought I read they actually used a couple of different brewers, East Coast and West Coast, for more efficient distribution.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 08:11:28 PM »
Stuff like this is why I don't drink beer anymore. I've moved on to craft malt liquor. It's made by really small, local breweries. You've probably never heard of them.
My drink of choice is very geographically exclusive. You can't even buy it outside of their special distribution region. Best of all, they pipe it directly to my house.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 08:25:14 PM »
Ummm.... I'm guessing craft water...?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 10:53:54 PM »
Cordex, I thought the pipes were supposed to take the yellow liquids out of the house?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 04:49:43 AM »
Cordex, I thought the pipes were supposed to take the yellow liquids out of the house?

It's a closed loop system.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
It's a closed loop system.
Pretty much. At a certain scale, anyhow.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »
Just because a product - ANY product, but in this case beer - is made by a small company, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's good.

Just because a product - ANY product, but in this case beer - is made by a LARGE company, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad.

If the guy bought some beer and didn't like it . . . the solution is to not buy it again. NOT FILE AN <EXPLETIVE> LAWSUIT.

Next up: Lawsuit against Keebler. It turns out the cookies AREN'T actually baked by elves in a hollow tree - they've been lying to us for decades!
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
Are the beer hipsters just angry that someone made a pine tar flavored beer with a fake 'craft' designation? :rofl:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 07:24:32 PM »
Just because a product - ANY product, but in this case beer - is made by a small company, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's good.

Just because a product - ANY product, but in this case beer - is made by a LARGE company, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad.

If the guy bought some beer and didn't like it . . . the solution is to not buy it again. NOT FILE AN <EXPLETIVE> LAWSUIT.

Next up: Lawsuit against Keebler. It turns out the cookies AREN'T actually baked by elves in a hollow tree - they've been lying to us for decades!
Was the guy actually harmed by the beer?  Probably not.
Did the product information on the package have the correct source of the product?  Probably so.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 08:21:34 PM »
Are the beer hipsters just angry that someone made a pine tar flavored beer with a fake 'craft' designation? :rofl:

http://coopaleworks.com/beers/f5-ipa/

My initial impression was that some one fed horses with pine tree, collected the horse pee, mixed it 50/50 with pinesol, fermented it and sold it as beer.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »
^^^I know we have a lot of hate for IPAs on this board, but I bet I would love this beer.  Give me a double or Imperial IPA with at least 80 IBU any day of the week.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 09:53:19 PM »
^^^I know we have a lot of hate for IPAs on this board, but I bet I would love this beer.  Give me a double or Imperial IPA with at least 80 IBU any day of the week.

I like IPA's, although I think they are overrated.  

What drives me nuts is the "session IPA."  It's not a session IPA, it's just a pale ale, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Just don't make it too bitter.  If you want 80 or 100 IBU's you need lots of malt and lots of alcohol to balance it out.

Local brewpub makes a nice hoppy tripel that's amazing.  That's the next fancy beer style I'm going to try making.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2017, 11:39:11 AM »
Brewing is a highly automatable and industrializable process. The creative input comes from the recipes and  ingredient selection; the rest is just process control. No real compromises need to be made when scaling up to high volume. In fact, larger breweries have the resources to get their beer to the customer faster and fresher... Sierra Nevada just put a brewery on the East coast, and others are doing the same type of thing. And the big companies also get the contracts for hops and malt, leaving smaller breweries fighting over what's left.  Brewing  is not like cooking, where high volume is more or less opposed to highest quality. If the brewmaster is leaving his personal touch on the beer, he's an epically crap brewmaster.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2017, 09:43:29 PM »
Mill Creek - If you are up for an Imperial Stout let me know.  It's in secondary ferment now.  Likely to be bottled in a week or two.  It'll need a while to carbonate and age, but I'm thinking of taking some out to Neah Bay for halibut season (May 4,6).  Should be ready by then.