Author Topic: Oh The Noes - Russian Intelligence Ship off East Coast is Armed with SAMS!  (Read 819 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/russian-spy-ship-loitering-coast-9823975

Yep - those navalized manpads and 30mm CIWS are a big threat.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Oh The Noes - Russian Intelligence Ship off East Coast is Armed with SAMS!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 11:30:59 AM »
With a crew of about 150 to 200 military personnel, the 310ft Viktor Leonov can reportedly transmit data back to superiors via onboard antennae linked to satellites orbiting earth.

Shocking!  What happened to having to print it out, put it in a bottle and hope for a favorable current?

The official said the Viktor Leonov was "loitering" in international waters.

Which is pretty much what spy ships are for.  And international waters, for that matter.  Might as well complain that people are loitering in the section of the park where they can see in your picture window.

Meanwhile officials at the Pentagon believe the ship will eventually sail south along the US coast and return to the Caribbean, Fox News reported.
In recent weeks it has crossed the Atlantic and stopped in Jamaica as part of a journey that had been planned for months.

So they gon run ouf of ganja eventually, mon.

He wrote on Twitter: "Russia is acting like it has a permission slip to expand influence, test limits of reach. Questions are obvious: does it, and if so, why?"

They don't need a permission slip to fart around in international waters, as long as they're not interfering with other ships.

Last Friday four Russian jets flew past a US Navy destroyer, the USS Porter, in the Black Sea, ignoring radio calls from the ship.

Set the CIWS to track them but not fire.  See if they're feeling so brave when they know they're a single button push from being confetti.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:31 AM »
He wrote on Twitter: "Russia is acting like it has a permission slip to expand influence, test limits of reach. Questions are obvious: does it, and if so, why?"

Yes, Senator Murphy. That's brilliant analysis there.

Personally, I know if I'm a President who is interested in betraying the US to the Russians (as you are not so subtly implying with your tweet) that I'd tell them to go ahead and spy on us in very open and obvious ways.

THAT'S certainly the way I'd expect a compromised official to act. Exactly.

Moron.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »
This seems to happen at least once a year. Somebody's recon ship or aircraft is obviously and overtly transiting somewhere within 100nm of our territorial sea or ADIZ, and some lame ass congressman or reporter or somebody hears about it and goes into ZOMG territory.

Nevermind there are probably 50 boats right now sitting around 13nm of our coasts that are run by Russians, Chinese, Norks, Canadians, French, and Japanese that are engaged in active intel gathering. And we're doing the same thing.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »
News flash !!!

Russian Spy ship continues to do what Russian (and US for that matter *cough* USS Pueblo *cough*) ships have been doing since the end of WWII.

Obama tells Putin he'll be more flexible after the 2012 election and no one bats an eye.   But anything and everything the Russians do these days is PROOF !!!   PROOF, I TELL YOU !!!  that Trump is in their pocket and under their control. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 03:03:37 PM »
Yes, Senator Murphy. That's brilliant analysis there.

Chris Murphy is a ... well, I was going to say "moron," but that would be unfair to the morons of the world. Connecticut is uniquely blessed/cursed with not one but TWO U.S. senators who are unrepentant attention whores. Murphy is the junior, and it appears that he is on a crusade to out-whore Dick Bloomenthal.

Good luck with that, Chris. Not possible.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 06:04:11 PM »
We had a ceremony for some of our airwing who are deploying later this year.  Blumenthal, the LT Governor, the AG, and Congresscritter Courntey were present and made comments. I declined to applause, and I noticed that very few of our folks were doing so. (D) is not popular on my base.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
 [popcorn]

What a concept.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams