Author Topic: Han Solo Needs to Quit Flying  (Read 7494 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: Han Solo Needs to Quit Flying
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 11:48:52 AM »
Happens more than you think, and at airports without parallel runways too.  BTDT

Somewhere there is a pilot deviation with my name on it and the quote
...deemed it was more safe to let N12345 land on the taxiway rather than send him around and let him menace the sky for another lap in the pattern..."

Granddad once had a rather heated discussion with a small airport manager near Abilene who was complaining about him landing on the "taxiway" of a grass strip.  He'd spent plenty of time setting tail draggers down in pastures, and just aimed for the greenest path he could see in what looked to me like a ~80 yard wide lawn with some ruts along one side.  Apparently the manager thought it was better to have everybody keep chewing up the same slot rather than spread out the 3-4 takeoffs and landings a day over the whole usable surface.

And that was after a really steady tail-up landing where he didn't drop the back until just before turning off the "runway" area.  He threatened to land in their ~4 car parking lot next time he came through there in that Super Cub.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »
Airport managers can be morons.  The one at EFD tried telling us we couldn't let helicopters land in the hanger area.  Um...we pretty much can't stop them.
"Landing at your own risk, use caution for _____ (if applicable), wind.  Report landing assured"
We can only tell them no for published prohibited areas/restricted areas and TFR's.
I had a heated discussion with the Airport manager, laughed at him, hung up on him. 

I've had a few tail draggers request grass landings.
"Landing at your own risk, area west of runway one seven right is uncontrolled, use caution for ditch on right side of runway, wind."
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 02:01:09 PM »
I remember hearing a story about a commercial airliner that accidentally landed at a military base - they allegedly were worried that some passengers may have seen or taken pictures of something secret so the .mil cops supposedly issued dire warnings about talking about the incident to everyone on the plane.

Another incident had a jetliner land at some really tiny airport - as I recall, the runway was too short for a normal takeoff, so they brought in a prize crew and took everything they possibly could off the plane (including seats and reserve fuel) to lighten it, waited for ideal weather conditions, and then took off, with a direct, pre-cleared flight to the nearest legitimate airport.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 11:20:42 PM »

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote
I remember hearing a story about a commercial airliner that accidentally landed at a military base - they allegedly were worried that some passengers may have seen or taken pictures of something secret so the .mil cops supposedly issued dire warnings about talking about the incident to everyone on the plane.

Another incident had a jetliner land at some really tiny airport - as I recall, the runway was too short for a normal takeoff, so they brought in a prize crew and took everything they possibly could off the plane (including seats and reserve fuel) to lighten it, waited for ideal weather conditions, and then took off, with a direct, pre-cleared flight to the nearest legitimate airport.

The second incident you mentioned was a Piedmont Airlines 737 which landed at Daniel Field in Augusta, GA in 1986 (same field I learned to fly at). They didn't strip the seats out or anything but they did put in minimum fuel and flew it to Bush Regional, the original destination which is a very short 6 miles away. The pilot was flying a night visual approach  and was unfamiliar with the area. The tower at Bush had already closed for the night. He realized he was at the wrong airport while on short final and elected to land rather than attempt an abort.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2017, 07:42:51 AM »

The second incident you mentioned was a Piedmont Airlines 737 which landed at Daniel Field in Augusta, GA in 1986 (same field I learned to fly at). They didn't strip the seats out or anything but they did put in minimum fuel and flew it to Bush Regional, the original destination which is a very short 6 miles away. The pilot was flying a night visual approach  and was unfamiliar with the area. The tower at Bush had already closed for the night. He realized he was at the wrong airport while on short final and elected to land rather than attempt an abort.

Which is why we practice low altitude go-arounds now.  I've had the main gear bounce off the runway during a go around in the sim.  No big deal.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2017, 07:45:11 AM »
I think we all know Chewy was the real pilot in the team.  All Han does it get the jobs.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 07:55:46 AM »
I think we all know Chewy was the real pilot in the team.  All Han does it get the jobs.

That means they are all...... Han jobs.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
Happens more than you think, and at airports without parallel runways too.  BTDT

Somewhere there is a pilot deviation with my name on it and the quote
...deemed it was more safe to let N12345 land on the taxiway rather than send him around and let him menace the sky for another lap in the pattern..."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2017, 12:55:54 AM »
I have seen one of those heavy lift Air Force jets land and take off at an air show.  I figure it was empty when I saw it, but it was amazing how little room it needed to land and take off.

Are you thinking of the C-17? That thing is like a rocket ship. I saw it at the Dayton air show, pretty impressive.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 12:58:07 AM »
That means they are all...... Han jobs.

I guffawed!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »
For your consideration, TACA Flight 110.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »
For your consideration, TACA Flight 110.

You can find an episode of Mayday: Air Crash Investigation on Youtube that's about this incident. To make it even better -- the pilot was blind in one eye.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
Granddad once had a rather heated discussion with a small airport manager near Abilene who was complaining about him landing on the "taxiway" of a grass strip.  He'd spent plenty of time setting tail draggers down in pastures, and just aimed for the greenest path he could see in what looked to me like a ~80 yard wide lawn with some ruts along one side.  Apparently the manager thought it was better to have everybody keep chewing up the same slot rather than spread out the 3-4 takeoffs and landings a day over the whole usable surface.

And that was after a really steady tail-up landing where he didn't drop the back until just before turning off the "runway" area.  He threatened to land in their ~4 car parking lot next time he came through there in that Super Cub.

You mean like this?

https://youtu.be/bPSElw8qEsI

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 06:10:20 PM »
You mean like this?

https://youtu.be/bPSElw8qEsI

Heck, even unmodified, a Cub that isn't too heavily loaded can set down in an impressively small space.  Give it a 15-20mph headwind and a good pilot and that landing isn't too unusual.  No-wind roll for takeoff is 250ft and landing 300ft, so it doesn't take much to put those unnervingly close to zero.  Given a really good pilot with excellent timing and a strong gusting wind, it's possible to hover and set down vertical.  I've heard of them landing at negative ground speed, but even the braggarts that used to come through the local airport when granddad managed it never claimed to have had the guts to do it.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »
I've never landed going backwards, but I have had a negative ground speed.  A Cessna 150/152 with full flaps and a decent headwind.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »
Are you thinking of the C-17? That thing is like a rocket ship. I saw it at the Dayton air show, pretty impressive.

Local guard unit has 141s,  which are pretty impressive in that regard too.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 11:23:50 AM »
I've never landed going backwards, but I have had a negative ground speed.  A Cessna 150/152 with full flaps and a decent headwind.

Tricycle gear is a little less...weird. 

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 12:31:55 PM »
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame