Author Topic: Did you enter the space poop challenge?  (Read 861 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Did you enter the space poop challenge?
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:51:32 PM »
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/15/515261463/space-poop-problem-solvers-take-home-cash-prizes-from-nasa?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170215

If we had known about this, we probably could have come up with something as a group.  And before everyone chimes in, detcord would have been right out.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Did you enter the space poop challenge?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »
I thought this was already solved like three seasons ago?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:25:04 AM »
I thought this was already solved like three seasons ago?

Only if the goal is to launch meatloaf against your ceiling.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 05:21:04 AM »
I love Raj's on-point wisecracks. "You mean when the poop hits the fan?" was a memorable one in that episode.

Incisive, no bullshit, dead nuts on.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 06:50:26 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 02:26:19 PM »
Huh. I was expecting the space poop challenge to involve a target somewhere on earth. Perhaps even moving targets - guys with man buns?

I am relieved.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 05:23:04 PM »

While it's a funny subject, it's still an engineering challenge that has been unmet by any space agency on the planet so far. Everyone relies on diapers inside the suit. That's not practical for long duration EVAs such as emergencies, emergency repairs, exploring Mars, etc. Currently if say, the ISS vented all of the atmosphere and both Soyuz were full, damaged or missing, the astronauts could potentially die from body waste buildup inside the suit even if they had enough air and food to survive.

In space, minor technical problems can potentially kill you. Like having two different sized air canisters in Apollo modules.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 06:00:49 PM »
What's wrong with a big Union Suit butt-flap?  =D

The washing machine underwear might be the best answer, because it would seem that wiping etc. would be pretty hard even if you had some kind of zip out pouch in the crotch and butt that would catch feces, that you could then sort of air-lock it out of the suit, keeping clean afterward would be difficult.

And even if an astronaut didn't have to defecate or urinate, you can get swamp-ass in the region anyway, so having the space suit give you a rinse and a dry every 3-4 days could be hugely beneficial. If you've ever done a long cross-country car trip, or intercontinental plane ride where you're stuck sitting for the better part of 24 hours, you already start feeling "not your best".

IIRC, the Apollo astronauts found defecating into the plastic bags taped to their butt, with inward facing plastic gloves to keep everything moving "away" to the bottom of the bag so disconcerting that they all just got "camping constipation" for the mission's duration. IIRC, they weren't fans of popping the Mr. Tydy Bowl blue stuff packet and kneading everything together in the bag once done either.

And Rev's comments about the food. I'm not sure we've made any externally provisionable spacesuits either, maybe a water/liquid tube, but that's about it.

Hell, done right, might even solve the whole "space shower" problem too. Just put on the space suit, and run the whole thing through a wash and dry cycle. Done right, it could make use of the thermal control tubing that's in the undergarments anyway on "open loop mode". While normal EVA cooling is handled on "closed loop mode" etc.

What really impressed me was the cutaway drawing of the PLSS packs for Apollo, the whole O2 tank was just a little thing the size of a bowling ball in one corner of the pack. The rest of it was all the other environmental control and power systems. I presume more modern Shuttle and ISS suits are the same way.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 06:14:14 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."