Author Topic: Ruger Precision Rifle  (Read 927 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Ruger Precision Rifle
« on: February 16, 2017, 02:48:25 AM »
So I was at the LGS today picking up a couple of ammo boxes (for storing batteries, of all things - it's a long story) and sure enough, for the first time I saw an RPR in the wild.  This one was in .308 - which I'm strongly considering.  I'm torn between that one and 6.5 Creedmoor - another long story.

So anyways, I was able to get the opportunity to handle this rifle.

Here are my impressions:

It's surprisingly heavy.  I mean, I know it's meant to be a precision rifle.   But dang if it wasn't a heavy sucker, and that's without ammo, optics, or bipod, etc.  But it is SOLID.

The adjustable stock is nice.  Lots of adjustment room in the different tweaks you can make on it.

The bolt is slick, easy to open and close, and *really* just about perfect.   Going from the pistol grip to the bolt is really smooth and natural. 

But the trigger.  Oh mama, that trigger.    I thought the Accu-trigger was nice...  This is orders of magnitude better than the Accu-trigger.  It's honestly better than many of the aftermarket triggers I've tried over the years.   It's got the trigger safety "blade" and once you've got that depressed, well it's almost like a set trigger without the set trigger.  It's seriously just a hard wish and it breaks so clean and crisp comparing it to a glass rod would be an injustice to the trigger.  I *really* wanted to bring that rifle home tonight.  It just wasn't in the budget.  But I think I will be saving my shekels for this rifle before I go to my AR-10 build.   This is a 1000 yard rifle all day long.   And a good way to get into the long range game, which is exactly where I'm at.   Ruger pretty much guarantees sub MOA out of this rifle, so that's a definite good starting point.

This one was listed at $1279.99 at the gun shop.

If I'd had that in the toy budget right now, that rifle would be sitting in my safe.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Ruger Precision Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:30:37 AM »
I saw the review of it in the American Rifleman recently.  I was impressed with their apparent attempts to cover all the bases accuracy-wise.  

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/7/17/ruger-precision-rifle/

As far as I can tell, Ruger was never particularly known for accuracy, but mainly for rugged reliability, so that article attracted my interest.

Time will tell.  I'm especially interested in how the 6.5 Creedmoor will do in it, long term.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:46:12 AM by 230RN »

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:58:25 AM »
If I didn't already have a savage 10 FCP in.308, I'd jump all over the RPR.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 09:44:28 AM »
If I didn't already have a savage 10 FCP in.308, I'd jump all over the RPR.
I am in that boat.  I have a Savage 308.  I don't shoot it enough to justify what I paid for it much less getting another rifle.

However, I have seen several of them for sale, but we have a lot of gun shows around the Houston area and a fairly large dealer is close by. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 11:16:23 AM »
So interestingly enough, I started reading up on it a little bit more last night....  Apparently Ruger has been having some.... issues...  with their stated accuracy, especially in .308.   So my enthusiasm is ever so slightly tempered on that particular rifle.   Having said that, I think it's just tending to tip me more into the 6.5 Creedmoor chambering if I do pick one up.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:32:25 PM »
A mutual friend of Monkeyleg and I got the 6.5 Creedmoor and he's in love from what I hear.
I promise not to duck.