Author Topic: Day Without an Immigrant  (Read 2910 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Day Without an Immigrant
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 05:39:17 PM »
Best Mexican food places I have found are where the wait staff can ALMOST understand enough English to take yer order. It's best to just point at the menu.

If you know
Si - Yes
no - no (who knew!)
Agua - Water
Denada - You're Welcome
Gracias - Thanks/Thank You
bueno - good
Mas - more
cerveza - beer
por favor - please
then yer golden!
I think for most who are here, if you are just using those English words, they will understand just fine.  Just don't expect to rattle off a paragraph and have them understand. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 08:43:18 PM »
Best Mexican food places I have found are where the wait staff can ALMOST understand enough English to take yer order. It's best to just point at the menu.

If you know
Si - Yes
no - no (who knew!)
Agua - Water
Denada - You're Welcome
Gracias - Thanks/Thank You
bueno - good
Mas - more
cerveza - beer
por favor - please
then yer golden!

I've found that if you can manage please and thank you in the local language you are halfway there. Being able to order a beer and ask where the bathroom is and understand the answer is the other half.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »
No, that's Cinco de Quatro.
Hurray!
Hurray!
The first of May...
7-11 was a part time job.

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2017, 09:13:34 PM »
I've found that if you can manage please and thank you in the local language you are halfway there. Being able to order a beer and ask where the bathroom is and understand the answer is the other half.
Donde esta casa de pepe?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2017, 10:08:42 PM »
Donde esta casa de pepe?

No, señor. "Donde esta el baño."

And spelling in el español is highly phonetic. Unlike in English, pronunciation of vowels doesn't change from one word to the next.

A = "ah"
E = "eh"
I = "eee"
O = "oh"
U = "ooh"

Thus, your phrase should be "Donde esta la casa de pipi?" (And, yes, they do use the word "pipi" for peepee.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Tuco

• friends
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2017, 07:58:06 AM »
Nevermind. Too late.
Donde esta...
How you say...
"Aventar?"
"Secador?"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2017, 09:30:20 AM »
http://ktul.com/news/local/catoosa-restaurant-fires-12-workers-for-not-showing-up-on-day-without-immigrants

Wish I lived near there.

I wasn't watching the news yesterday, I'll keep an eye on this one, only about 30 miles away. [popcorn]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2017, 10:45:08 AM »
http://ktul.com/news/local/catoosa-restaurant-fires-12-workers-for-not-showing-up-on-day-without-immigrants

Wish I lived near there.

Despite the shock of being fired, the employees say they aren’t mad and they expected a possible reprimand but they weren’t counting on getting canned.

“They feel like he could’ve done something for them since they’d been working for him," said the friend.

And maybe if they had bothered to call in he would have done something for them. Or maybe not. The article states that the owner had fired others in the past for not showing up without calling in, so I fail to see why it should be a surprise to these people. Why SHOULD he "do something for them," if they didn't even have the basic courtesy to call in and let him know that he wasn't going to have any staff for a day?

And, once again, there's no mention in the article about "illegal." Immigrants aren't the problem - ILLEGAL immigrants are the problem. Like the woman in California (?) who was arrested a couple of days ago. She's been in the U.S. illegally for decades, working under a fake social security number. Her "defense" is that she needed a fake social security number so she could work -- as if that somehow makes it okay. Never mind that the work she's been doing for all those years could have been done by someone who is here legally and has a legal right to be working.

Multiply that by a few million and pretty soon it starts to add up to some real money.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design