Author Topic: Here we go...  (Read 8262 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Here we go...
« on: February 16, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »
Finished the last cigarette in the pack about an hour ago.

Put on my first nicotine patch about 5 minutes ago.

Brave new world here I come.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Here we go...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 04:42:01 PM »

Not sure how the patch works compared to the route I went, but wishing ya the best of luck!
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 05:15:17 PM »
You can't quit smoking. ManBearPig needs the revenue.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »
A guy at work has chronic bronchitis.  I wish he would do that.  He needs to quit.  I doubt he will though.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 09:17:53 PM »
Best of luck.  I kicked the habit after one cigarette -- in the third grade.  Let's just say the post chaplain's son was a bad influence!
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »
Luck to you man.  It's a PITA,  but worth it.

Cowboy Killers and coffee is still the breakfast of champions,  that I miss.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
Good luck. Nicotine is a damned evil slave master.
I take my nicotine cold but still the same monkey.
I've "quit" twice, longest was for 18+ months, still not sure if the 60 pounds I packed on was worth it, took me 2½ years to shed most of that.
I keep hoping I can get my wife to give up the cigarettes, she has a family history of Emphysema, COPD, her father, grandfather and an uncle died from emphysema, and a personal relationship with heart disease, (heart attack at 44 years old, open heart surgery, double bypass and a follow up bi-femoral bypass) cardiovascular disease and still she smokes 11 years later. I really don't have much expectations of her making it to 65.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »
Good luck. Nicotine is a damned evil slave master.
I take my nicotine cold but still the same monkey.
I've "quit" twice, longest was for 18+ months, still not sure if the 60 pounds I packed on was worth it, took me 2½ years to shed most of that.
I keep hoping I can get my wife to give up the cigarettes, she has a family history of Emphysema, COPD, her father, grandfather and an uncle died from emphysema, and a personal relationship with heart disease, (heart attack at 44 years old, open heart surgery, double bypass and a follow up bi-femoral bypass) cardiovascular disease and still she smokes 11 years later. I really don't have much expectations of her making it to 65.

Yes, please make quitting work for anyone who is trying. Enjoy the life you have left by spending less of it in a hospital.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »
I quit after reading a book called "addictive thinking" by Rabbi Abraham Twerski,  in 1991.
One of the things I did was to spend my free time after work meditating on why I wanted to smoke and telling myself I was no longer allowed to do that.
But, addictive thinking really really helped.

YOU CAN DO IT
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 11:16:47 PM »
Put on my first nicotine patch about 5 minutes ago.

Brave new world here I come.

You are so going to love the hallucinations dreams!!   
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:05 PM »
I got off cigs by going vape. This month marks four years since my last smoke. Don't miss a single thing about them.

I used to not notice cigarrete smoke. Now I can smell it when someone is having a puff on their back porch two blocks over.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 07:45:58 AM »
About 16 hours in right now, and I'm doing well. Not had any desire to smoke, and not had any of the roller coastering emotions that I got when I tried cold turkey.

Only side effects I've had so far were some itching where I applied the patch, and a pretty constant low-grade headache since putting it on. Just took some Tylenol for that.

One of my big triggers for smoking is driving.

This morning I drove Seren to doggy daycare, and then drove from there to the office.

I didn't even think about a cigarette.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 10:14:13 AM »
How much does a pack of cigarettes costs these days?  I see people forking over a lot of money at convenience stores. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »
This morning I drove Seren to doggy daycare, and then drove from there to the office.

I didn't even think about a cigarette.

See?  Without nicotine to regulate it, your Alzheimer's is getting so bad you can't remember your daily routine.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 10:55:28 AM »
How much does a pack of cigarettes costs these days?  I see people forking over a lot of money at convenience stores. 

40,000 quatloos.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
Hang-in there, Mike.

I quit 15 years ago; took three tries on the patch.

Can't tell you how much better I felt not long after quitting.

You can do it...
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 02:16:02 PM »
I'm already feeling different, but a bit better.

My throat, which has been chronically sore for several months, is feeling better. My voice, which was also chronically hoarse, is doing better, as well.

I've not had a craving yet, and the only untoward burst of anger I've had today was at the douchenozzles on a multiperson phone meeting who were on speaker phone AND carrying on background conversations at the same time.

But that kind of crap pisses me off no matter what.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 08:33:17 PM »
3 plus days without a smoke. Feeling good!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
I got off cigs by going vape. This month marks four years since my last smoke. Don't miss a single thing about them.

Guy at work killed a decades long smoking habit that way.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re:
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »

If you made it that long, you can make it forever. Excellent work.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re:
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 09:01:41 PM »

Good for you, just one day at a time type of thing. One of my lectures to help motivate people to quit was the cost. I would add up a years worth for them and tell them they could take their wife to Hawaii or somewhere. The wife with them usually loved that!!  :)

I see people in the commissary here pay 55+ dollars a carton for cheap cigarettes and a lot more for the premium and I am just amazed.

At least when I smoked I bought mine at sea for 15 cents a pack, 35 cents if I had to use the exchange. :)

bob  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:48:14 AM by BobR »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 06:43:34 AM »
86 hours as of right now!

What I didn't mention yesterday (because I was so freaking tired) is that I spent the afternoon with my brother and sister in law, and they are both smokers.

They were worried about smoking around me, and I told them not to worry, that I would be fine.

And I was fine. I didn't want a cigarette at all.

The only time I even thought that I'd like a cigarette was coming home. I expected traffic to be light because it's a 3-day weekend for a lot of people (not my company), but traffic was extremely heavy. Flowing, but heavy.

Driving is one of my big triggers. I tended to chain smoke when behind the wheel, and for a split second I caught myself thinking I'd like one. Then I told myself to stop being a dumbass and concentrate on not playing bumper cars.

According to my average of 1 pack a day, I'm going to save about $2,200 a year.

At the end of every month I'm going to move a month's equivalent of cigarette money into my savings account.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2017, 09:35:49 AM »

The only time I even thought that I'd like a cigarette was coming home. I expected traffic to be light because it's a 3-day weekend for a lot of people (not my company), but traffic was extremely heavy. Flowing, but heavy.

Driving is one of my big triggers. I tended to chain smoke when behind the wheel, and for a split second I caught myself thinking I'd like one. Then I told myself to stop being a dumbass and concentrate on not playing bumper cars.

At the end of every month I'm going to move a month's equivalent of cigarette money into my savings account.

On the former, good for you! Your "trigger" situation is pretty tough to fight through, since you're stuck in your car with little diversion. If you powered through that, I bet you're going to breeze through this.

On the latter, it's always better to have a carrot than a stick. Given what I know about your investment knowledge, the potential of the saved money is probably a great carrot for you. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »
"Given what I know about your investment knowledge, the potential of the saved money is probably a great carrot for you."

Huge carrot (PHRASING! :rofl:) given the fact that I've shelled out a horrific amount of money the last couple of months on the house.

I've also discovered yet another ancillary benefit.

For years I've had edema problems in my right leg. Another family thing. It's been problematic in that I've had a number of bouts of cellulitis because of the edema, even though I've worn compression socks on the leg for a long time.

Well, over the last two days I've noticed that my leg doesn't seem to be swelling nearly as much as it was when I was smoking. I'm really hoping that this is a trend that continues as I address both the weight and the smoking.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 10:15:22 AM »

That was the one flaw in switching to Clipper "cigars;" pack a day only costs $600/year.  Saving ~$50/mo is a lot less urgent than saving the ~$200/mo that Camels were costing.