Author Topic: Here we go...  (Read 8227 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Here we go...
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
That was the one flaw in switching to Clipper "cigars;" pack a day only costs $600/year.  Saving ~$50/mo is a lot less urgent than saving the ~$200/mo that Camels were costing.
Given your preference for very low cost vehicles, $50/month is a car or two each year, no?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 12:45:27 PM »
Given your preference for very low cost vehicles, $50/month is a car or two each year, no?

One car, roughly, on average, not counting initial repair costs.  About 2 cars every 3 years with the cost of getting them roadworthy to my standards.

Of course, not having a car right now, insurance savings alone pay for the Clippers, and frankly, ~5 hours of cardio a week probably balances out the health effect compared to the average American.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 01:49:05 PM »
One car, roughly, on average, not counting initial repair costs.  About 2 cars every 3 years with the cost of getting them roadworthy to my standards.

Of course, not having a car right now, insurance savings alone pay for the Clippers, and frankly, ~5 hours of cardio a week probably balances out the health effect compared to the average American.

So an engine that runs, a transmission to get it moving and four round tires.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 02:42:30 PM »
So an engine that runs, a transmission to get it moving and four round tires.

And brakes.  I hate having to circle the block until I bleed off enough speed to stick a rock under the wheels.

And headlights.  I like good lighting.

And a stereo to cover up the assorted other noises until I get around to them.  Though I'm thinking I just need a receiver with amplified speaker outputs and a volume knob these days.  Bluetooth OBDII reader and a 7" tablet with a 128G microSD pretty much handles most entertainment and engine monitoring at a reasonable price and more flexibility than purpose-built car stereos.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 03:44:44 PM »
And brakes.  I hate having to circle the block until I bleed off enough speed to stick a rock under the wheels.

And headlights.  I like good lighting.

And a stereo to cover up the assorted other noises until I get around to them.  Though I'm thinking I just need a receiver with amplified speaker outputs and a volume knob these days.  Bluetooth OBDII reader and a 7" tablet with a 128G microSD pretty much handles most entertainment and engine monitoring at a reasonable price and more flexibility than purpose-built car stereos.

:facepalm:

I'd try to explain why I think you have the wrong perspective on money and vehicle safety, but I'm giving up and throwing in the towel. Please don't ever drive near the East Coast.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
I'd try to explain why I think you have the wrong perspective on money and vehicle safety, but I'm giving up and throwing in the towel. Please don't ever drive near the East Coast.

I've seen the traffic there.  Rather use a boat if I have to travel that area.

Though boat brakes tend to suck pretty bad too.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2017, 11:48:06 PM »
That was the one flaw in switching to Clipper "cigars;" pack a day only costs $600/year.  Saving ~$50/mo is a lot less urgent than saving the ~$200/mo that Camels were costing.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2017, 01:22:16 AM »
Guy at work killed a decades long smoking habit that way.

FWIW, I passed the 10 year mark last November.  And I was a 2 pack a day menthol smoker.  Did it cold turkey with the patch.  I say that not for the glory, but to say that if I could do it, as bad as I was, surely Irwin can do it just out of orneriness.   :laugh:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2017, 06:42:12 AM »
110 hours. Going just fine. No cravings. Just the occasional "it would be nice to have a cigarette," which I quickly quash with "don't be a dumbass, dumbass!"

I'm noticing so many more benefits it's not even funny. Last night I got out in the back yard and did a bunch of cleanup, then carried two big bags of leaves and the garbage out to the curb. That used to leave me feeling as if I was going to collapse. Overall I have a lot more energy.

For years I've been having problems with edema in my right leg. Partially hereditary, but since I quit smoking, the edema has reduced dramatically by the end of the day. Food is tasting better, of course.

As someone mentioned, though, the dreams the last couple of nights have been quiet vivid and strange.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2017, 09:30:31 AM »

As a smoker your health isn't comparable to the "average american".  The average American is just obese and likely to die from symptoms of that.
You, however, are more likely to die from fun things like cancer and emphysema.  No amount of cardio will save you from that.  It'll just mean you're a skinny corpse when the day comes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
FWIW, I passed the 10 year mark last November.  And I was a 2 pack a day menthol smoker.  Did it cold turkey with the patch.  I say that not for the glory, but to say that if I could do it, as bad as I was, surely Irwin can do it just out of orneriness.   :laugh:
How does putting a patch on a turkey help? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »
The average American is just obese and likely to die from symptoms of that.

Obese and sedentary and full of random junk food.  (It's definitely possible to eat enough healthy food to be obese while still being quite active.  After all, cows are vegans and walk everywhere and they still get fat.)  Tends to lead to not doing a whole lot of real living before the dying part.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2017, 12:43:52 AM »
How does putting a patch on a turkey help? 

Smartass!   :laugh:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2017, 06:32:53 AM »
"Did it cold turkey with the patch."

Is that anything like Andre Cold Duck?

Holy crap, that made me think about the sparkling wines that were all the rage in the 1970s, which made me remember a Christmas commercial for Andre from that time frame...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGOr3s1VEYI

God, talk about bringing back memories...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2017, 01:32:06 PM »
"Did it cold turkey with the patch."

Is that anything like Andre Cold Duck?

Holy crap, that made me think about the sparkling wines that were all the rage in the 1970s, which made me remember a Christmas commercial for Andre from that time frame...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGOr3s1VEYI

God, talk about bringing back memories...

I have enough strange dreams without having to endure yours as well.... :P

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2017, 01:44:39 PM »
Holy crap, that made me think about the sparkling wines that were all the rage in the 1970s,

Ah...a surreptitiously obtained bottle of Ripple and a soon-to-be-obtained impressively stacked brunette...

Yeah, those were the days.

Wait a minute...I was 4 in 1980...how old was that bottle of Ripple by 1991?

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2017, 06:05:12 PM »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2017, 07:26:12 PM »
Oh!!!  I have the perfect motivational patch for Mike:

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2017, 12:58:07 PM »
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:25:58 PM by Mike Irwin »

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2017, 01:56:54 PM »
Mike,
How's it going, where you at with this?
The knowledge that the malaise will disappear on that first puff isn't worth the the self loathing when I crumple a pack of 18 sticks and throw it out the window in disgust.
Even today, 17 years later, I think to myself "If I was still smoking, I'd smoke RIGHT NOW!"
Just quit again if you need to.  Sooner or later you won't be a smoker anymore.

With apologies to Terry, I'm using my real name because this is real life
-Steve
7-11 was a part time job.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: Here we go...
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »
Oh!!!  I have the perfect motivational patch for Mike:

Isn't he trying to avoid the suck?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2017, 05:41:34 PM »
Well, I just passed 16 full days (hour wise) since my last smoke.

Averaging a pack a day, so far I have:

NOT smoked 320 cigarettes (averaging a pack a day when I quit)

NOT spent $96.20 (figuring roughly $6 a pack)

Regained 1 day, 13.4 hours of life.

Even better, the edema in my right leg is markedly better. That's the leg that I've had routine bouts of cellulitis in. Hopefully with the increased circulation that comes with quitting I won't have nearly the problems.

There have been some times when I'd really liked to have had a cigarette, but those have passed pretty quickly and I don't think that they were really fullbore cravings.

I'm 2 weeks into my initial nicotine patch set -- 4 weeks on the highest, 4 weeks on medium, then 2 to 4 weeks on the lowest.

I'm fully committed to quitting. I've spent enough money on cigarettes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2017, 08:41:17 AM »
Little update on this...

Right after Memorial Day, after finding out about Mom's will, I fell off the wagon. HARD.

For 3 days.

The second I left town, I climbed right back on the wagon and have been on it ever since.

Taking into account those 3 days...

I have been smoke free for 129 days.

I have passed on 2600 cigarettes.

And I have saved about $780.

All in all, I recognize just how easy a time I've had quitting.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2017, 12:46:00 PM »
Well done. Stay with it -- your lungs will thank you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2017, 11:42:20 AM »
Update on this...

With all the stress over the last couple of months, I've started smoking again, unfortunately.

I made it nearly 4 months before I fell off the wagon, requit for a couple of weeks, and then started again -- hard and heavy.

sigh.