Author Topic: Give me light bulbs or give me death.  (Read 9752 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Give me light bulbs or give me death.
« on: February 16, 2017, 05:17:58 PM »
Why is there no talk of repealing the light bulb regs?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Give me light bulbs or give me death.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »
LEDs have gone mainstream enough to be legitimized in the eyes of the buying public. Acceptance equals dramatically reduced call for return to the "real thing".

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 06:23:49 PM »
Isn't Fistful on the payroll of Big Lamp?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
Isn't Fistful on the payroll of Big Lamp?

Yes, he's one of those 100 watt fat cats.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 06:59:16 PM »
Yes, he's one of those 100 watt fat cats.

Part of the il-lumen-ati.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 06:59:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VneoEvAJX0g

Substitute 'light bulbs' for 'Mexican avocados', and you have the Big Lamp meetings.  I see Fistful as Kyle.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:32:10 PM »
1.  LED's have gotten popular and cheap enough to afford to some extent. 

2.  It is still less than a month since he took office and he still doesn't have his full cabinet in place.

3.  There are more important things people are waiting for and talking about. 

Give it time.

I would rather see the toilet regulations repealed first.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 07:46:30 PM »
1.  LED's have gotten popular and cheap enough to afford to some extent. 

2.  It is still less than a month since he took office and he still doesn't have his full cabinet in place.

3.  There are more important things people are waiting for and talking about. 

Give it time.

The speech kicking off flushgate would be marvelous. You're gonna be able to take a great crap again! It will be the best ever! My pool is more regular than Hillary's, you don't hear about anyone investigating that. It will be yuuuge! Make #2 great again!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VneoEvAJX0g

Substitute 'light bulbs' for 'Mexican avocados', and you have the Big Lamp meetings.  I see Fistful as Kyle.

Yeah, well you're Scott.  [tinfoil]

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 08:02:58 PM »
After going nearly 100% compact flourescent lamps (CFLs) and getting pissed at the long life lies, I finally broke down yesterday and got two 15W input, 100W equivalent LED bulbs.  (Those things are oddly heavy.)

We'll see if I've been lied to again.

Only a month ago during a cleaning frenzy  I threw out disposed of properly a yuge box of dead CFLs I was saving to dump on the desk of any legislator who dared tout CFLs.  I had most of them marked with date installed, date died.

Terry

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »
After going nearly 100% compact flourescent lamps (CFLs) and getting pissed at the long life lies, I finally broke down yesterday and got two 15W input, 100W equivalent LED bulbs.  (Those things are oddly heavy.)

LED lamps do tend to be quite a bit heavier than other kinds. Some of them require a lot of metal for heat-sinking. The newer generations tend to be less hefty.

And then you have these suckers:

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 09:59:40 PM »

I just chucked a couple CFLs.  One I installed in 2012(I date them), one predated my dating them.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 10:05:54 PM »

We'll see if I've been lied to again.

Only a month ago during a cleaning frenzy  I threw out disposed of properly a yuge box of dead CFLs I was saving to dump on the desk of any legislator who dared tout CFLs.  I had most of them marked with date installed, date died.

Terry

The 75W equivalent LED's seem to be the sweet spot right now.  I like the flat Philips ones (A21 profile, 13W) but they're still a bit expensive.  Anything higher wattage needs a heat sink.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 10:07:26 PM »
I thought he was more of a dim bulb.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re:
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 11:57:49 PM »

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

He's full of bright ideas.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 12:30:14 AM »
I just chucked a couple CFLs.  One I installed in 2012(I date them), one predated my dating them.

I've known of CFLs to last years. 'Course the incandescents in our bedroom ceiling fan have lasted years, as well. LEDs will probably last much longer, until their owners begin to wonder why they're so dim after ten years.

Watt are you talking about?

230RN

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 07:17:44 AM »
I just chucked a couple CFLs.  One I installed in 2012(I date them), one predated my dating them.

2017 minus 2012 does not equal ten years.  While yours (and mine) may have been economical in terms of energy usage, when you add in the initial outlay, I doubt it.  I do have some low-wattage ones in fairly well-ventilated areas which have been running a long time.  Most of the ones I had (discarded now) ran from one to three years, IIRC.  The ones I  had in ceiling fixtures and the bathroom seemed to go south fastest.

Oh, oh, and don't forget the additional cost of properly disposing of them.  Which I'm sure you did, as did I.

We've got to shut down the LLI.... "Lying Lobbyist Industry."

Terry
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:36:24 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 07:50:44 AM »
The problem with most longevity estimates for light bulbs is that it's very limited and, to my way of thinking, rather unrealistic given the lifestyles and patterns of most people.

I think the common assumptions are 3 hours of use a day or less, which includes single turn on and single turn off.

Most people don't do that. A bulb might not accumulate 3 hours of use a day, but it might also be turned on/off 20 or 30 times in a day.

That said, I've had CLFs last for significant periods of time. IIRC one on my patio was on 24x7x365 for something like 6 years, and the bulb in my front post light, dusk to dawn, lasted for close to 7.

But, I've since switched just about all of my bulbs to LEDs. I like the quality of the light better, especially with Gen 2 and Gen 3 LED bulbs.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 08:42:45 AM »
The problem with most longevity estimates for light bulbs is that it's very limited and, to my way of thinking, rather unrealistic given the lifestyles and patterns of most people.

I think the common assumptions are 3 hours of use a day or less, which includes single turn on and single turn off.

Most people don't do that. A bulb might not accumulate 3 hours of use a day, but it might also be turned on/off 20 or 30 times in a day.

That said, I've had CLFs last for significant periods of time. IIRC one on my patio was on 24x7x365 for something like 6 years, and the bulb in my front post light, dusk to dawn, lasted for close to 7.

But, I've since switched just about all of my bulbs to LEDs. I like the quality of the light better, especially with Gen 2 and Gen 3 LED bulbs.

Well, yeah, that's the thing.  They test them under ideal conditions including a 5mph breeze at 20° C, and then represent (sell, hype. lie about, shift their eyes away from you)  them as being better than incandescents and you can save US$XY.NN over ten years.  Pants on fire.

By the way, the longest-lasting one I have is 100W equivalent in an outdoor fixture, no globe surrounding it, is nearly always in that aforementioned 5mph breeze, is cycled once a day, and runs in the coolth of the night. Yay!  But my medicine cabinet, with its rather restricted air flow, screw in, turn on, and poof! <That's an exaggeration for the sake of a good story, but with toothy truth within it.

Any legislator who touts them ought to have to stick his finger in a light socket while I turn it on.  Yeah, yee-haw!

Terry

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 09:03:00 AM by 230RN »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
Is it science's fault that your life is atypical as hell?

:rofl:

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2017, 09:46:35 AM »
I hated CFL's, but LED bulbs so far are very decent.  My only real concern is that cheap driver circuits will eat themselves prematurely.  Bad capacitors, etc.

I'm waiting for the advent of LED shop lights that can economically compete with commodity grade T12 fixtures.  Figure it will be 5 years or so.

Even if standard incandescent bulbs were returned to the shelves, I think I'd stick with LEDs.

I don't like the government limiting my options as a consumer by mandate, however I suspect that LED bulbs would not have become so inexpensive without the economies of scale imposed by consumers having little other choice.  I've seen this in other places, like NEMA premium efficiency motors.  Premium efficiency motors were available, but they were a premium product sold at premium pricing.  Once premium efficiency motors were mandated, demand for them went way up, and the unit cost went down substantially.  They were still more expensive then the old less efficient motors, but no where near the cost one had to pay for premium efficiency in the past.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2017, 09:49:10 AM »

Toilet and gas can.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2017, 09:59:26 AM »
"Even if standard incandescent bulbs were returned to the shelves, I think I'd stick with LEDs."

Yep. I know I would.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2017, 10:03:16 AM »
"Even if standard incandescent bulbs were returned to the shelves, I think I'd stick with LEDs."

Yep. I know I would.

For general lighting, I'll stick with LED's.  But out in my garage I prefer 100W incandescent.

BTW, at Sam's Club last week I bought a 6-pack of 9 watt (800 lumen) GE LED lamps for less than $6.  That's a crazy-good price.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:29:39 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 10:48:23 AM »
Is it science's fault that your life is atypical as hell?

:rofl:

Science is supposed to be for the acquisition of knowledge, not for the development and confirmation of untruths.  :old:

I grinned anyhow.  =D

Terry