Author Topic: Give me light bulbs or give me death.  (Read 9751 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: Give me light bulbs or give me death.
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
That's because the thinner you make the filaments, the more efficient they are, but also more fragile.

The rough service bulbs at this point are, I think, limited more to furnace type environments, where 'rough service' is implied and an extra bit of heat isn't that big of a deal.

Otherwise, well, a well-potted LED is just as resistant to vibration(but CFLs aren't, which was the competitor when the regs were written) and cold(again, CFLs not good for).

The only area where incandescents are better than LEDs are hot environments.  Heck, even in refrigerated places LEDs are double good because the lowered energy use means that you don't need to cool the environment back down as much because of the heat from the lighting.

Or applications where light quality matters. Because incandescent still have 100CRI by definition. This is more applications than you might suppose; spectrometers, printers, evaluation lights, people like me who aren't blind and can easily see the difference, etc.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 11:43:08 PM »
Where I work, we still sell rough service bulbs by the case. Some people just like the way they look, and don't want to change.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2017, 11:00:48 AM »
Where I work, we still sell rough service bulbs by the case. Some people just like the way they look, and don't want to change.

Women seem to like lighting on the less-harsh yellow side.

Hence the proverbial "candle-lit" restaurant or boudoir.

Same thing with old-time camera films.  B&W photographers rarely used the panchromatic (blue-end-sensitive) films for glamor photography unless they used a softening yellow filter on the lens or xenon flash lamps.  Orthochrome (red-end-sensitive) film was preferred for glam shots.

Blue-end lamps and films emphasize skin faults.

And a little spit or Vaseline on the lens was often used to soften details.  (But don't spit on coated lenses.)

The heavy-duty incandescent lamps would give a more yellowish (candle-like) light.

Terry, 230RN

zahc

• friend
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2017, 11:28:45 AM »
Women seem to like lighting on the less-harsh yellow side.

Hence the proverbial "candle-lit" restaurant or boudoir.

Same thing with old-time camera films.  B&W photographers rarely used the panchromatic (blue-end-sensitive) films for glamor photography unless they used a softening yellow filter on the lens or xenon flash lamps.  Orthochrome (red-end-sensitive) film was preferred for glam shots.

Blue-end lamps and films emphasize skin faults.

And a little spit or Vaseline on the lens was often used to soften details.  (But don't spit on coated lenses.)

The heavy-duty incandescent lamps would give a more yellowish (candle-like) light.

Terry, 230RN

True, but your terms are flipped; orthochromatic films are NOT red sensitive, and panchromatic are all-color-sensitive.

Red filters with panchromatic film give a strong whitening effect on skin and makes many blemishes, even freckles, disappear. But it also causes unattractive, white lips, so you have to use dark lipstick then, or in practice, use both makeup and filtration are needed. Yellow or orange filters are a bit less extreme.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »

I like rough service lamps because they are typically 130-volt rather than 120-volt, so there's at least an outside chance that they'll last as long as they're supposed to. They do give off a bit less light, though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »
We've heard you like your service rough...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »
I stockpiled incandescent bulbs to heat my reptile cage.

I buy leds for the house.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2017, 11:31:54 PM »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.