Author Topic: College conservatives  (Read 1041 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
College conservatives
« on: February 17, 2017, 05:02:59 PM »
There have been several responses to campus censorship in the United Kingdom and the United States. One of the most interesting developments has been the rise in demand for conservative thought. In the United States, college tours by speakers popular with conservatives such as Milo Yiannopoulos, Steven Crowder, Ben Shapiro and Christina Hoff Sommers have become huge events. There has been a spike in membership in conservative college clubs including Young Americans for Liberty, which boasts 804 chapters filled with 308,927 members.

In the United Kingdom, free speech societies have been started across the country.

‘Speakeasy’ groups have been founded at the LSE, Leeds, Queen Mary, Cardiff, Oxford, Manchester and at Edinburgh, where I study. In these groups, ‘unacceptable’ conservative thoughts are debated amongst liberally-minded (as all good conservatives are) students.

Moreover, some student unions have voted to disaffiliate from the National Union of Students (NUS).

Analysis from market research firm, The Gild, shows that ‘Gen Z’ is the most conservative generation since 1945. The research reveals that ‘Gen Z’ Britons are more likely to favour conservative spending, dislike tattoos and body-piercings, and oppose marijuana legislation.

The youth and student members of the British Left have given up trying to win arguments on principle, preferring to shut down the views of those they opponents. But ‘Gen Z’ live in the time of mass media where anyone’s political views can be shared worldwide at ease. By pushing a “you can’t say that” attitude, the young Left in the UK and the US are reducing their opportunity to respond to conservative ideas, and, as a result of this, conservatism is on the rise.

May their tribe increase.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
Re: College conservatives
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
May their tribe increase.
Indeed.

IMO, part of it is many liberals have given up debating ideas hence the shutting down of debate.  Many conservatives are doing a good job of making common sense arguments and distributing it across the internet. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 07:56:20 PM »
For a while about a decade ago there was a site called "noindoctrination.org" which data-based documentable complaints from college students being shut down or otherwise "punished" by liberal instructors and classmates for their opinions.

You could search by college or instructor or type of complaint, etc.  The professors involved were notified of a complaint and given the opportunity to respond or rebut.

My recollection was that few of them did.  One interesting thing was that it seemed like if one complainant filed a complaint, there would often be successive complaints, "pile-ons," if you will, about the same instructor or situation.

It was pretty good.  Stingemeister me even contributed to them.

I got a 501 (non-profit) receipt from them so I might still have the name and physical addresss of the site owner.

The site shut down for unknown causes but I sure wouldn't mind seeing something like that re-instituted.

Terry

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 12:26:49 AM »
Doh! :facepalm: