Author Topic: This is going to cause a ruckus...  (Read 1674 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
This is going to cause a ruckus...
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:52:04 AM »
Go to immigrant day, lose your job...

http://www.abc2news.com/news/national/18-people-fired-after-participating-in-a-day-without-immigrants

Tennessee is an employment at will state, so it's going to be interesting to see where this falls out.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: This is going to cause a ruckus...
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 09:27:56 AM »
Works for me.
If their "employment at will" law is similar to Oklahoma I think that are legally OK. (IANAL, YMMV)
On the other hand I fully expect civil-rights law suits and mass demonstrations.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
What did the people promoting this think would happen??  Of course the promoters are not the ones being hurt, so if they thought of it at all they didn't care.  THAT should be the message.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 01:44:56 PM »
What did the people promoting this think would happen?? 

Probably that a slew of lawyers will start filing lawsuits against business owners who (rightly) canned people who didn't bother showing up for work.

Maybe if people had put in a vacation request well ahead of time they could have gotten a day off.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 02:54:51 PM »
Probably that a slew of lawyers will start filing lawsuits against business owners who (rightly) canned people who didn't bother showing up for work.

Maybe if people had put in a vacation request well ahead of time they could have gotten a day off.

But if they had done that, the employers would have arranged for other staff coverage, so the missing "immigrants" wouldn't have been missed and the "protest" wouldn't have made any impact. (Not that it did anyway. My corner of the universe seems to have survived unscated.)

So they made their statement, and they had an impact. Unintended consequences can be a female dog.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
What's the big deal? If an employee of mine had not shown up for work without a good excuse, he or she would have been fired.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2017, 08:37:19 PM »

In the two cases I've heard about, there were multiple personnel skipping work on the same day, from the same company. Depending on the company, that could be a bit more than they're willing to put up with.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 08:47:53 PM »
The instigators of this little shindig forget a major truth: "Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance."

Along with, "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Their whole point was to inconvenience the public, to make a demonstration of how "essential" illegal immigrants are to the American way of life. What they either forgot or chose to overlook was that inconveniencing the public necessarily also inconvenienced the employers for whom the demonstrating [former] workers [formerly] worked. But ... people who run companies are in business to make money, so if the workers don't show up, they (the employers) will find another way to get the work done, or hire someone else to do it.

Just think of the irony -- all these formerly-employed immigrants can now stand around outside their former places of work and look at Americans doing the work that the illegal aliens didn't want to do.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »
Misleading title.  

Should've been "this is going to be awesome".

*expletive deleted*ck everyone involved with this stupid *expletive deleted*ing stunt.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 10:28:17 PM »

In the two cases I've heard about, there were multiple personnel skipping work on the same day, from the same company. Depending on the company, that could be a bit more than they're willing to put up with.

That was why I always put in for Christmas leave way early.  :)  At some point the boss says, "Can't have any more people take off." If everybody wants to just take off anyway, I guess they shouldn't be shocked if there are consequences.

I would say that it's amazing to me that people think they can just shut down somebody's business for their own self interest and get a "thank you" for it, but then I was reading the local rag from where I used to live and saw that some business owners there were closing their places "in solidarity" when their workers told them they weren't coming in. So I guess depending on where you live, you actually could get a "thank you" from your boss for shutting them down.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 10:37:10 PM »
That was why I always put in for Christmas leave way early.  :)  At some point the boss says, "Can't have any more people take off." If everybody wants to just take off anyway, I guess they shouldn't be shocked if there are consequences.

I would say that it's amazing to me that people think they can just shut down somebody's business for their own self interest and get a "thank you" for it, but then I was reading the local rag from where I used to live and saw that some business owners there were closing their places "in solidarity" when their workers told them they weren't coming in. So I guess depending on where you live, you actually could get a "thank you" from your boss for shutting them down.

"In solidarity" or because they know they can't fight it without getting trashed?

I'm betting not one business in this area dared make a stink over employee's not coming in and I wouldn't be surprised if some pulled the "in solidarity" thing as well, simply because to do otherwise around here would bring the crazies out in full force.  =| I'm betting at least some of those boss's "thank you" is very hollow and said with a false smile and clenched teeth.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 10:48:51 PM »
I'll just leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiNUnlyfTmM

Does anyone speak Spanish?

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 11:25:21 PM »
In the one report I read, the people approached management about taking the day in question off the night before.   They were told in no uncertain terms, "we have contractual obligations to fulfill.  If you don't show up, you'll be fired."

They didn't show up.

They were fired.

Pretty cut and dried to me.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 12:25:58 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC8FLVgQwj4

"Each and every one of those guys are welcome back to work on Monday if they only come to the office and talk to me."

In other words ... he's wimping out.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2017, 07:33:10 AM »
They have a facebook page if you want to counter some of the hate they are getting, https://www.facebook.com/pg/IDCGrill/jobs/1425727847447177/?source=post
Wish I was close to them so I could give them my business.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 11:37:43 AM »
Just read that the womyn who marched on D.C. a couple of weeks ago are trying to organize "A Day Without A Woman" . . . even to the point of refusing to do their share of the housework.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/general-strike-womens-march/index.html

Hmmm . . . if that means womyn drivers will stay off the roads, too . . .  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 12:18:36 PM »
Just read that the womyn who marched on D.C. a couple of weeks ago are trying to organize "A Day Without A Woman" . . . even to the point of refusing to do their share of the housework.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/06/politics/general-strike-womens-march/index.html

Hmmm . . . if that means womyn drivers will stay off the roads, too . . .  =D

No big deal, the housework will still be there the next day.  ;)
"It's good, though..."