Author Topic: counterfeit Glock mags  (Read 722 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
counterfeit Glock mags
« on: February 18, 2017, 04:43:39 PM »
http://www.guns.com/2017/02/17/customs-seizes-2-million-worth-of-counterfeit-glock-mags/

I've never been to guns.com b4, a little too much clickbait but it seems as if this is true.
Having your mag malfunction could really ruin your day!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: counterfeit Glock mags
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 05:18:27 PM »
This looks borderline to me.  It's 'counterfeit' because Glock's name is too big or prominent on the packaging.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
Looks to me like the author mischaracterized the mags as counterfeit when it's actually a licensing issue.  They appear to be using the name Glock to describe what the mags are for, not claiming they are actually Glock manufacturer products.  Glock is way into protecting its brand.  A couple of years ago, I was shopping for a cheap Airsoft Glock to use for a teaching tool. Several companies had posted the "cease and desist" threat letters from the Glock legal team.  No unlicensed use of their names or copies of their designs.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 06:23:55 PM »
Looks to me like the author mischaracterized the mags as counterfeit when it's actually a licensing issue.  They appear to be using the name Glock to describe what the mags are for, not claiming they are actually Glock manufacturer products.  Glock is way into protecting its brand.  A couple of years ago, I was shopping for a cheap Airsoft Glock to use for a teaching tool. Several companies had posted the "cease and desist" threat letters from the Glock legal team.  No unlicensed use of their names or copies of their designs.

If you are still looking, there are copies out now.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:36:42 PM »
If you are still looking, there are copies out now.

Thanks.  I might look, or just stick wth the SIG airsoft I bought instead.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 12:45:40 PM »
This looks borderline to me.  It's 'counterfeit' because Glock's name is too big or prominent on the packaging.

To me it's not counterfeit at all. They don't say they are made by Glock and they don't in any way pretend they are made by Glock. This like claiming that if I go into Auto Zone and buy a house brand shock absorber to fit a Ford F150, the fact they tell me what it fits makes it a counterfeit Ford part.

Bullscat.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 12:56:33 PM »
To me it's not counterfeit at all. They don't say they are made by Glock and they don't in any way pretend they are made by Glock. This like claiming that if I go into Auto Zone and buy a house brand shock absorber to fit a Ford F150, the fact they tell me what it fits makes it a counterfeit Ford part.

Bullscat.

That seems to be Glock's M.O.  Threaten/sue anyone who uses the name Glock in relation to making a profit.  Just like your Auto Zone example.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)