Author Topic: CT Gun Taxes  (Read 957 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
CT Gun Taxes
« on: February 20, 2017, 10:34:02 AM »
I'm just hearing this on Fox Business right now. The CT Governor apparently wants to make up for the budget with up to 400% increases in various firearm related fees (i.e., taxes). The example I heard was a five year pistol permit going from $70 to $300, with first time permits going to $370. I assume "pistol permit" means CCW permit (since MSM often messes up terminology)?

I think we have a few CT members. Any ground zero intel?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: CT Gun Taxes
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »
Ben, IIRC CT is turning into the next CA/NY in regards to firearms, so the pistol permit is probably just that.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Connecticut
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 11:42:06 AM »
Ben, IIRC CT is turning into the next CA/NY in regards to firearms, so the pistol permit is probably just that.

ETA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Connecticut

Interesting. We actually don't need a pistol permit per se in CA (yet), though we now have to have a "handgun safety certificate" to purchase a handgun. I only got the cert once, when I bought my LCR six or seven years ago (I'm not buying pistols again till I move out of CA), but I recall is was like twenty easy questions and 30 bucks. I think good for a few years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 12:11:34 PM »
I'm just hearing this on Fox Business right now. The CT Governor apparently wants to make up for the budget with up to 400% increases in various firearm related fees (i.e., taxes). The example I heard was a five year pistol permit going from $70 to $300, with first time permits going to $370. I assume "pistol permit" means CCW permit (since MSM often messes up terminology)?

I think we have a few CT members. Any ground zero intel?

Truth. This was the main topic of discussion at the February CCDL (Connecticut Citizens Defense League) meeting. It's really "just" a bump from $70 to $300. Connecticut has a convoluted permitting system that requires applicants to first take an NRA Basic Pistol course, then apply through the local PD for a "temporary state permit." So there's the cost of the class, then there's a fee to the local PD for a background check. Then, after getting the temporary state permit, you have 30 days to go to the state police, pay another fee, and convert to a regular permit.

Technically, it isn't a "CCW" because it is a "Permit to carry pistol or revolver," and once you have one it is not necessary to carry concealed. Open carry is legal -- with a permit -- but generally frowned upon.

In Connecticut people now need either a pistol permit, a long gun certificate, or an ammunition certificate just to buy ammunition -- even a box of .22 Shorts.

The Wikipedia is wrong. Connecticut also has something called a certificate of eligibility to purchase handgun. It allows you to buy a handgun without a carry permit -- but once you take the gun home, it stays there. You can't even transport it to a range for target practice. The process is about the same as to get a carry permit, so basically nobody ever gets a certificate of eligibility.

And Connecticut doesn't have preemption.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
And laws this convoluted worry me when I think about national recognition of CCW permts.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:14:50 PM »
I doubled down on CT; got a fiancee, full time job with the Air Guard, and bought a house.  Times like these I cast a forlorn eye back toward NH, but that's just a pipe dream now.

I've been vocal to my reps regarding this new scheme, as I was with the post-Newtown debacle, for what it's worth.  Malloy can (insert most certainly non-APS invectives here).  It's a goat rope.

As far as my current permit, I got around the system by obtaining a non-resident permit when I lived in NH.  When I moved to CT, all I had to do was e-mail my new address to DPS, and put a sticky on the back of my license.  But this time around I'm not up to renewal until 2019, so if we fail, I'm stuck goring the ox.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 07:32:41 PM »
 :facepalm:  I lived in Ct. from 1961 through 1994.   The place has turned into Kommiefornya East since I left.  Plenty of nice memories (and family photos) but I won't be moving back. :'(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:32 PM »
:facepalm:  I lived in Ct. from 1961 through 1994.   The place has turned into Kommiefornya East since I left.  Plenty of nice memories (and family photos) but I won't be moving back. :'(

1965 - 1984.  Not going back and trying to convince family to move away.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 08:43:10 PM »
And laws this convoluted worry me when I think about national recognition of CCW permts.

In reality, laws this convoluted are crying out for national reciprocity. Like NY, MA, and a handful of other states, CT doesn't recognize or honor licenses/permits from any other state. To carry in CT you must obtain a CT permit. If we get national reciprocity, and especially if (as some have opined) that's written such that your home state would have to recognize any out-of-state permit you have, states like Connecticut will have to either shape up or be left on the outside looking in. If I have a PA license that costs me $25 for five years and it's valid in Connecticut, why would I pay CT $300 for five years? I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design