Author Topic: This could get interesting  (Read 4059 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: This could get interesting
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 04:49:15 PM »
What part of "substantial risk" are you not getting?

Where are you getting the words "substantial risk" from? We have 50 states, and then we have federal law. I don't claim to have read the self defense laws of even half the states, but I have read a number of them and I have not yet encountered the words "substantial risk." The usual language is something along the lines of "in danger of suffering death or grievous bodily injury."

The other thing you're either forgetting or choosing to overlook is that ALL the states' self defense/lethal force laws are based on the victim's (meaning the person who engaged in the self defense act) perception of the risk of death or grievous bodily injury. In other words, you don't really have to be in danger (that punk trying to stick you up doesn't have a real gun, it's an unloaded airsoft replica), you only have to reasonably believe that you're in danger ("It looked like a real gun when he pointed it at me, your Honor").
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »
The other thing you're either forgetting or choosing to overlook is that ALL the states' self defense/lethal force laws are based on the victim's (meaning the person who engaged in the self defense act) perception of the risk of death or grievous bodily injury. In other words, you don't really have to be in danger (that punk trying to stick you up doesn't have a real gun, it's an unloaded airsoft replica), you only have to reasonably believe that you're in danger ("It looked like a real gun when he pointed it at me, your Honor").

There you go; reasonable belief.  You're not going to have such an easy time in court if it was a clear squirt gun, and your argument is that it might have been filled with poison.  That's about as sensible as going Dirty Harry on kids tossing rocks from a distance.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 05:10:50 PM »
 :facepalm:
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 07:56:23 PM »
Just try shooting someone for throwing rocks at you from 100+ feet away and see how that goes in court. 

How do you know the kid was 100+ feet away?  And what really matters here is the Border Patrol Use of Force Policy, not state law.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 08:03:06 PM »
D. Use of Deadly Force

1. Deadly force is force that is likely to cause serious physical injury or death.

2. The Department of Homeland Security Policy on the Use of Deadly Force
governs the use of deadly force by all DHS employees.

3. Authorized Officers/Agents may use deadly force only when necessary, that is,
when the officer/agent has a reasonable belief that the subject of such force
poses an imminent danger of serious physical injury or death to the officer/agent
or to another person.

a. Serious Physical Injury - Injury which creates a substantial risk of death or
which causes serious disfigurement, serious impairment of health or serious
loss or impairment of the function of any bodily organ or structure or involves
serious concussive impact to the head.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/UseofForcePolicyHandbook.pdf

Blakenzy

• friend
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 09:22:32 PM »
There you go; reasonable belief.  You're not going to have such an easy time in court if it was a clear squirt gun, and your argument is that it might have been filled with poison.  That's about as sensible as going Dirty Harry on kids tossing rocks from a distance.

Wait! I misread the article. Did it say the Mexican kid was pointing a clear squirt gun at the Border Patrol Agent? I could have sworn I read "rocks."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 07:47:32 AM »
Wait! I misread the article. Did it say the Mexican kid was pointing a clear squirt gun at the Border Patrol Agent? I could have sworn I read "rocks."

:rofl:
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!