Author Topic: The female Trump  (Read 615 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
The female Trump
« on: February 21, 2017, 11:59:07 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-election-lepen-idUSKBN1600R6

French candidate Marine Le Pen cancelled a scheduled meeting with Lebanese grand mufti because he insisted that she wear a head scarf.

I'm a bit conflicted on this, but I think I support her position. I am a Christian, but I have no problem wearing a yarmulka when attending a service in a synagogue, or when dining with friends who are strict Hebrews. That said, I don't believe it was ever presented to me as a requirement -- the yarmulka was offered, and I chose to wear it as a gesture of respect. Their house, their rules.

Should Le Pen have worn the scarf as a gesture of respect for Islam? Maybe. Should Islamic terrorists stop killing Christians as a gesture of respect for Christianity? Probably. The key is, I think, that she wasn't going to visit him for a funeral service or a social encounter, she was to meet with him as a political encounter. On that basis, I don't think he had a right to demand that she kowtow to his religious beliefs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The female Trump
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 12:12:18 PM »
The key is, I think, that she wasn't going to visit him for a funeral service or a social encounter, she was to meet with him as a political encounter. On that basis, I don't think he had a right to demand that she kowtow to his religious beliefs.

I agree with this. Looks like she did the right thing.

The thread title amuses me, because I recall reading an article last year about Ivanka Trump being the American Marine Le Pen. I.e., her Dad would never get the big chair, but she'd be the less divisive daughter that could actually get elected.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 06:14:09 PM »
I support her 100℅
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 06:44:31 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-election-lepen-idUSKBN1600R6

French candidate Marine Le Pen cancelled a scheduled meeting with Lebanese grand mufti because he insisted that she wear a head scarf.

I'm a bit conflicted on this, but I think I support her position. I am a Christian, but I have no problem wearing a yarmulka when attending a service in a synagogue, or when dining with friends who are strict Hebrews. That said, I don't believe it was ever presented to me as a requirement -- the yarmulka was offered, and I chose to wear it as a gesture of respect. Their house, their rules.

Should Le Pen have worn the scarf as a gesture of respect for Islam? Maybe. Should Islamic terrorists stop killing Christians as a gesture of respect for Christianity? Probably. The key is, I think, that she wasn't going to visit him for a funeral service or a social encounter, she was to meet with him as a political encounter. On that basis, I don't think he had a right to demand that she kowtow to his religious beliefs.

Yeah, when Islam starts respecting women  then maybe he'll have a leg to stand on