Author Topic: UK national goes to Gitmo, gets released, sues, wins, blows himself up  (Read 1013 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-iraq-britain-militant-idUSKBN1611A8

Originally from Manchester, UK. Converted to Islam in his 20s. Detained in Afghanistan by US Special Forces folks and was sent to Guantanamo in 2002. The UK govt threw a fit, and we released him in 2004. He sued the UK government after his release and received up to a million pounds in compensation. There's disagreement on the size of the settlement.

At some point after that, he went to Syria to fight with Islamic State. Recently, Ronald Fiddler aka Abu-Zakariya al-Britani blew himself up in Iraq with a car bomb.

There's a reasonable argument that quite a few people were radicalized in Gitmo. But if someone was captured in Afghanistan, odds are quite a bit lower of that.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
Re: UK national goes to Gitmo, gets released, sues, wins, blows himself up
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 03:05:27 PM »
I didn't quite understand why he won compensation in court.  No point in worrying about it now I guess.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2017, 04:40:47 PM »
I hope he's enjoying his 72 Virginians.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »
I hope he's enjoying his 72 Virginians.

Raisins, actually.   Not even juicy grapes,  shriveled dried-up raisins. :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 06:29:33 AM »
I didn't quite understand why he won compensation in court.  No point in worrying about it now I guess.

Because Britain has turned into an nation of weeping snowflake pussies.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 08:13:51 AM »
Because Britain has turned into an nation of weeping snowflake pussies.

Quoted for truth.

G-dammit, I'm in a pissant mood this AM.  Barometer must be dropping.