Author Topic: Best mail-order ammunition vendor?  (Read 4362 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Best mail-order ammunition vendor?
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:50:02 AM »
I am getting tired with making the drive to my LGS with a specific ammo in mind, only to find it is out of stock.  What is the opinion of the Collective for the best (selection and price) mail-order ammunition vendor?  I have primarily used ammoman in the past.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cordex

• Administrator
Re: Best mail-order ammunition vendor?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 10:02:27 AM »
I like SGAmmo: http://www.sgammo.com/

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 10:36:52 AM »
I've heard laxammo is good, but SGA always seems to have better prices and ships fast.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
Depending on the ammo, especially if European, Chinese or Russian you could try one of the mail order bride sites and insist on a rather large dowry of ammo.  ;)

bob

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:42:27 AM »
I don't know if there is one.  Different vendors have different brands or types of ammo in stock or for better prices.  They will have a great price on one thing, but be twice as much on something else.

I noticed Ammunition Depot has some good prices on Federal and Speer self defense ammo.  I don't know about their bulk ammo.

A smaller outfit started up recently in Needville, TX.  I have shot a little of their 9mm so far.  I have some 223 ammo from them I have been intending to try.  http://www.orrtactical.com/

I will have to check SGAmmo next time I order some.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:44:35 AM »
I use Wal-Mart's website to see if the local store has what I want in stock if they do I go pick it up.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »
Another vote for SGAmmo - good prices, shipped promptly, ammo exactly as described.

SOMETIMES you can get a good deal from Cheaper Than Dirt. Now, CTD is FAR from my favorite company (long story there), but about 2 years ago they had some clean Greek HXP non corrosive milsurp .303 British ammo at a good price, already on Enfield stripper clips. Shipped promptly and the ammo was good. But this case may have been the exception to the rule when it comes to this company.

FWIW, when buying ammo I avoid someone else's reloads, most small "boutique" ammo brands, milsurp ammo that comes from countries where I wouldn't drink the water, and anything with an overly impressive name. ("Cooter's Megadeath Extreme Tactical Ninja Dragon Exploder Ammo" is something I'd pass on.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 12:19:31 PM »
While places like SGammo are likely to more consistently have good prices, it never hurts to check the "mainstream" vendors on occasion for sales. I've actually found really good deals at Cabelas on occasion. Or "free" if I use Cabelas bucks. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »
There are a number of good sites, SGammo, LuckyGunner, AmmunitionDepot, etc.  I used a new-to-me site, Outdoor Limited, the other day.  They had the best price, best shipping, and the ammo was in stock.  It'll be here tomorrow, so shipping was pretty fast as well.  They're in NC.

Chris   

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »
I've used Cheaper than Dirt a few times without issue. Of late I've been finding good pricing from Sportsman's Guide.  I wasn't sure if that's what is being referred to as "SGammo"  but that looks  to be a separate company.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 01:37:09 PM »
Don't forget to check PSA for deals. And Weidner's has been really good on 1K case lots of 9mm lately.

SGAmmo would probably be my go-to if I had to "pick just one" though.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 01:50:13 PM »
Very good prices on a couple of items I checked out.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 02:59:04 PM »
While places like SGammo are likely to more consistently have good prices, it never hurts to check the "mainstream" vendors on occasion for sales. I've actually found really good deals at Cabelas on occasion. Or "free" if I use Cabelas bucks. :)
Note that with some mainstream companies (e.g., Cabela's) you'll get nicked for sales tax. Even so, combining sales with coupons and Cabela's bucks sometimes results in a good deal. But GOOD coupons from Cabela's are much rarer today than they were a couple of years ago.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 03:46:21 PM »
Www.gunbot.net

Gives you prices of a variety of places.

I also use Natchez Shooter Supply and Freedom Munitions.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

JN01

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 04:57:14 PM »
I sometimes use Aim Surplus as they are 10 miles from my home which eliminates shipping charges.  SGAmmo has a wider selection and great prices, so I have used them as well.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »
I go to Dan's Ammo, Graf's, J&G Sales, and Midway. Never a bad experience at any of them. Screw CTD.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2017, 07:02:00 PM »
Screw CTD.

With a telephone pole, between them and Dick's (it's not just a name, it's an attitude) I am hard pressed on which to put on my #1 spot not to even piss on them if they were on fire.  It's pretty much a dead heat.  >:D

bob

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2017, 08:01:33 PM »
Www.gunbot.net

Also try www.ammoseek.com to search for deals.

As others have mentioned, sgammo.com has consistently good prices.  Also check Outdoor Limited, ammunitiontogo.com and jgsales.com as they have sales from time to time.

[Screw CTD] With a telephone pole, between them and Dick's (it's not just a name, it's an attitude) I am hard pressed on which to put on my #1 spot not to even piss on them if they were on fire.  It's pretty much a dead heat.  >:D

Amen, for a number of reasons.
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 10:14:13 PM »
LuckyGunner, great people and lots of useful info on their website.

However, most of my ammo I make myself.   So I'm always on the search for deals on components.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »

Previously I used ammoman.com , free shipping is always nice.

A lot of the web scraper sites for ammo do not include shipping costs, so something to keep in mind. Lot of ecommerce stores make their profits on shipping markups.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 07:11:52 AM »
FYI, LuckyGunner has a deal on Federal 9mm 115g FMJ @$89/500 after a $20 rebate from Federal.  That is a good price.

http://www.luckygunner.com/9mm-115-grain-fmj-federal-american-eagle-trayless-500-rounds
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2017, 01:34:21 PM »
Previously I used ammoman.com , free shipping is always nice.

A lot of the web scraper sites for ammo do not include shipping costs, so something to keep in mind. Lot of ecommerce stores make their profits on shipping markups.

As I am doing my comparative searches, I am finding that when I factor in shipping to the Pacific NW (since most of the vendors seem to be in the Midwest or East Coast), ammoman is coming in cheaper, if you order at least $99 of product to qualify for free shipping.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 03:07:47 PM by MillCreek »

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »
As I suggested earlier in this thread I've been placing about an order per month with SGAmmo because they seem to consistently have the best deals on case lots, I'm comfortable with them and I've been shooting a lot more.  They have some steel-case 9mm bulk-packed into an ammo can for under $0.16 per round shipped so I bought one.

Six minutes after placing the order I got notification that the order was filled.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »
Some 2.5 years later, any updates on your favorite online ammo vendor?  I just ordered six 50 round boxes of Federal 9 mm from Ammoman, since they had in stock, and I ordered sufficient to get free shipping. 

BobR

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 03:26:04 PM »
No new favorites but I still hate CTD and Dick's *(it's not a name it's an attitude).

bob