Author Topic: H1B VISA's (not sure if this goes in Round Table or Politics)  (Read 2340 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
I have a friend whose team is being eliminated where I work.  He's been looking for a job in other depts and they all say they'd love to hire him but can't get a position opened up.  He's a good worker *and* has a wealth of knowledge that I hate to see disappear because I tap it frequently.

Monday afternoon I saw an H1B VISA notice posted on the legal bulletin board by the cafeteria.   :mad:  I told him about it Tuesday morning, and he went down there and the notice has been taken down.  My boss (who wants to hire the guy) is gonna try to track it down.

So the company has filed a legal notice with fed.gov that they can't find anyone in the USA to fill the job, while at the exact same time telling a worker that he'll have to be let go soon because no work is available.  I don't know if he's qualified for the job or not, but I assume he has a legal claim to apply for the job.

I'd kind of like to report this to the Dept of Labor.   [ar15]
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
Re: H1B VISA's (not sure if this goes in Round Table or Politics)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 11:50:45 AM »
This is pretty standard practice. If DOL cared, they would be doing something about it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
I've known they do it, I just didn't think I'd catch them in a specific example.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
My take on them, if there is a temporary talent shortage I can see their value. Only temporary use, like 18 months or less non renewable for 18 months after term.

If you can't afford to pay market rate wages to an available labor pool, you should sell your company to your competitors because either your greedy or a terrible manager/business owner.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »
There are a LOT of American tech workers - mostly in their 40s and 50s - who are unable to find work because positions they are eminently qualified for are being filled by foreign H1B visa workers who are willing to work for fish heads and rice.

AND - even if the experienced Americans were ready and willing to work for entry level wages, employers STILL PREFER the foreign workers, since their H1B visas essentially handcuff them to the employer.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 06:06:58 PM »
My take on them, if there is a temporary talent shortage I can see their value. Only temporary use, like 18 months or less non renewable for 18 months after term.

If you can't afford to pay market rate wages to an available labor pool, you should sell your company to your competitors because either your greedy or a terrible manager/business owner.

AG workers can have a shorter term between new visas, but only allowed a 9 month visa, have to wait 3 months for a new one.

Uranus is a gas giant.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 08:28:37 AM »
Hell if you really want to save money and are near a prison system, work out a deal where you hire inmate labor.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 09:19:09 AM »
H1B in its current configuration has to go, and I wish to God the Trump admin would make a priority out of it.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 05:27:42 PM »
So you're saying the government should tell business who they can and can't hire?

Interesting
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
So you're saying the government should tell business who they can and can't hire?

Interesting

So you're saying that corporations should control our borders, and not government?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 09:17:45 PM »
So you're saying that corporations should control our borders, and not government?

That's a good point.  Why not let the market determine the best outcome?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »

The true free market solution wouldn't come with many of the "upsides" that these companies like about using H1B labor,such as the "handcuffing" mentioned above. That's governmental intervention.

It'd still depress wages, but not quite as much, because the immigrants would be free to walk as soon as they got a better offer.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:58 PM »

foul

the h1b program is anything but free market. Workers here are tethered to this employer, regardless of how they're treated, for YEARS.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 06:52:40 AM »
It'd still depress wages, but not quite as much, because the immigrants would be free to walk as soon as they got a better offer.

And walk they would because that's exactly what they do in their home country.  I've seen new hires job hop before they even start the new job they just accepted. 

Chris

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2017, 08:01:01 AM »
That's a good point.  Why not let the market determine the best outcome?

Is our "free" market supposed to be for the benefit US citizens or are US citizens just disposable cogs in the global market who can be tossed aside when they lose their utility?

National governments often act like a union for their people, protecting their interests in the global economy.

Our "union" has lost sight of who they are supposed to represent and has been working for themselves and select others.

The people elected a new union boss. If he doesn't get things back on track the people may decide they don't want to be in this union any more.

I spent decades being an open borders global free market proponent libertarian. Decades  
being the proponent of a political philosophy that was just as Utopian and just as unworkable in the real world as Communism.

The open borders global market system has supplanted our national identity and culture. A rich common culture of strong families, strong neighborhoods and national pride of being an American. We are losing our identity as a nation, the glue that binds us and our culture has become debased. Our culture is now a hodge podge of the lowest common denominator in every area. A non-judgmental consumer society of hedonists.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:30:47 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »

I'm a nationalist libertarian. Borders should be used to the advantage of people that already live here.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
I spent decades being an open borders global free market proponent libertarian. Decades  
being the proponent of a political philosophy that was just as Utopian and just as unworkable in the real world as Communism.

The open borders global market system has supplanted our national identity and culture. A rich common culture of strong families, strong neighborhoods and national pride of being an American. We are losing our identity as a nation, the glue that binds us and our culture has become debased. Our culture is now a hodge podge of the lowest common denominator in every area. A non-judgmental consumer society of hedonists.

Wow, I feel much of the same way. I used to big time in favor of open trade/open borders, really changed my mind over the last 5-7 years.

Everyone wants it cheaper, don't even care (or understand) that begins to marginalize their own person wealth.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2017, 12:02:39 PM »
I used to like the free trade stuff, but mainly because I didn't know much about it.  I don't see an issue with reasonable import/export tariffs.  The excessive regulations and restrictions these days are probably much more costly than the actual tariffs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2017, 12:52:53 PM »
Is our "free" market supposed to be for the benefit US citizens or are US citizens just disposable cogs in the global market who can be tossed aside when they lose their utility?

National governments often act like a union for their people, protecting their interests in the global economy.

Our "union" has lost sight of who they are supposed to represent and has been working for themselves and select others.

The people elected a new union boss. If he doesn't get things back on track the people may decide they don't want to be in this union any more.

Excellent and mostly ditto except for the deleted part. I like the union boss analogy.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
I have a friend whose team is being eliminated where I work.  He's been looking for a job in other depts and they all say they'd love to hire him but can't get a position opened up.  He's a good worker *and* has a wealth of knowledge that I hate to see disappear because I tap it frequently.

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2017, 06:36:09 PM »

I agree with this but feel compelled to point out the obvious:  market ideology does not work for people.  It never has.  Part of the confused conservative politics we have now results from an attempt to redefine all the terrible consequences of global markets as positive goods.  There's also this mantra that the market always delivers.

What we need is to clearly articulate what matters (people, our culture, our wealth) and adopt policies that serve it.  Not policies that implement market principles.