Author Topic: Landing on the Moon again  (Read 2954 times)

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Landing on the Moon again
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »
Make the Moon America Again.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »

Make the Moon America Again.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Still got to wonder if there is any value in "mining" space junk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »
Good points, Lee. I was just suggesting there might be another perspective that A.J. left out - the We're Not In This Alone perspective. And while I wouldn't categorically rule out the possibility of humans colonizing other planets, I would suggest that Biblical prophecy seems to suggest otherwise. Just a thought.

Recolonizing Earth after the Rapture... I hadn't even considered that angle.  ;)
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2017, 07:21:36 PM »
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Still got to wonder if there is any value in "mining" space junk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_debris

Probably so, but you would need to get the cost of retrieving it down a bit. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2017, 07:38:37 PM »
I just don't get this train of thought.  If the plan is to move our population to another planet where we, A) can't breathe the air, B) have to work to find water to drink, C) need to bring all tools, equipment for farming, life support, etc with us, and D) need to use massive amounts of the fuel (ironically obtained from the very plant we are leaving) just to get there, it seems like a good way to die as a species.  I've never been to any other planetary body, but I believe the best place we know of in the universe to "start over", IE, make a sustainable habitat from scratch, is right here beneath our feet.

It's an air gap. Literally and metaphorically. Anything that could take out multiple planets is statistically far less plausible. The lack of dinosaurs running around should be enough to convince one that eventually, something changes the world dramatically enough to kill off the majority of lifeforms.

A, B, C are not entirely correct. There's air, water and metal on other orbital tracks. It just takes some work to make it useful for us. Sending probes to pre-position supplies would be the smart thing. If one was sufficiently ambitious... For the cost of the second Iraq war, we could have sent a good number of robots and some nuclear reactors to Mars to get things kicking. Both poles are primarily water ice, with CO2 coatings. Nitrates have been found in the soil. Have robots build shelter, stockpile water/O2, prep soil for crops, form metals of various kinds, build tools and machines for a decade or two before we send people.

Hard and expensive, definitely. Again, the alternative is eventual species death. AJ mentioned only a handful of the ways humanity could die. Mars is the best choice with near term technology. Mid term, Galilean moons. Longer term tech is Venus.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2017, 08:39:17 PM »
And no one is seriously proposing to move large percentages of the Earths population to the moon, Mars, asteroids or anywhere else, just to keep picking away at it as our capabilities increase until they have viable human populations, mostly local born on their own.
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2017, 11:41:38 PM »

My attitude is that I'm pretty sure God is in charge. I guess it's possible He's going to wait long enough that we need to move into new digs, before He ends things. But I can't bring myself to worry about it much. Maybe, on the other hand, He wants us to go and bring religiosity to the Martian fuzzie-wuzzies.

Now if there is no God, or just not one who's worried about us? Well, then, yeah, our extinction is just another non-event in a universe in which our troubles have no real meaning.

Some troubles might have a really gnarly meaning.....................................................
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

markdido

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2017, 04:06:32 PM »
Has China been working on sending people to the moon?

Ralph Kramden has been trying to do that for years!
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.