Author Topic: Battery for old JD tractor  (Read 1945 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Battery for old JD tractor
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »
I'm in Houston for a week, and my dad wants me to replace the battery in his old tractor.  Not sure what model it is, but it's 6V positive ground.  The battery that's in there now is a  Group 1.  The battery tray looks like it would accommodate a much longer battery.  Should I consider putting a bigger one in there, like a Group 4?  There's not much difference in price, $79 vs $99 from TSC.  The Group 4 battery weighs twice as much and it's 1/2" taller -- both of which will make a lot harder to wrassle into place.  (the tractor is in a shed with a muddy floor, poor lighting, and just enough weeds and blackberry vines to grab your ankles occasionally and rip them up)

There are no battery tied-down straps.  I probably ought to gerry-rig something.

BTW, dad is in the hospital, recovering from sepsis 2 weeks ago.  He's doing much better now, but probably won't be released for another week.  I don't know what that has to do with this thread, maybe goes to "what does your dad want?"  (I haven't asked him yet.  I just pulled the old battery out to see what it was)
"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Battery for old JD tractor
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »

Get a solar powered motion light. Install solar panel outside, install light inside.

Bungie cords probably would work well, but a battery tie-down kit would be better for longer term. They're actually really economical, under $20.

If Group 1 works well, I'd continue using what works rather than experiment with something new. Does your dad often run the lights without the tractor going?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:18:30 AM »
If the bigger one will fit and it's only $20 more, I'd say get that one.  I run a lawnservice / snowplowing business and I've learned that upgraded batteries are worth it, if only for the higher CCA in cold weather.  As for the tie-downs, keep it simple.  Motorcycle bungees or the black rubber ones will work just fine.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 11:23:33 AM »
If the bigger one will fit and it's only $20 more, I'd say get that one.  I run a lawnservice / snowplowing business and I've learned that upgraded batteries are worth it, if only for the higher CCA in cold weather.  As for the tie-downs, keep it simple.  Motorcycle bungees or the black rubber ones will work just fine.

For tractors, there's a decent chance of tips. Spending an extra $5 for a proper tie down strap or mounting kit is probably justified. Bungee cables are absolutely fine to hold you over, but it's a tiny increment in cost for much higher safety and reliability.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:25:40 AM »
In general I get the biggest battery that fits easily. Solar LED motion light is a good idea.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 11:29:39 AM »
This is Houston, there is no cold weather!   :laugh:  And AFAIK, he never uses the lights.  The battery is just for starting.  But he doesn't start it often enough.

I figure if they are equally crappy batteries and age just as rapidly, the bigger one will be adequate for an extra couple of years.  But I don't know if that's worth the extra hassle installing it.  I should measure the battery tray.  If it's only 12" long, a 13" battery is no longer an option.

A small solar panel to keep the battery topped-up is not a bad idea. 
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 12:06:41 PM »
I thought I saw some large plastic wire/cable ties in one of the Harbor Freight hardware fliers I get in the mail.  You can string two or more of them together to make up any length.  A couple of these in tandem ought to be able to take moderate bouncing from a farm tractor.   Or other fabric tie-down/equipment clamps as long as you keep the metal parts away from the terminals.

Know any cops?  Maybe they can donate a couple of those plastic handcuff-type things to you, or at least provide you with a source.

I would not recommend bungee-type cords in this application.  <Argue if you will, but I don't think that's a good idea.

Terry, 230RN

REF (Samples only):
http://www.harborfreight.com/quickview/index/index/id/11332/
http://www.harborfreight.com/household/cable-ties.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:23:29 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 12:17:31 PM »
A Group 4 would probably fit.  The battery tray is just long enough; the problem is the height at the forward end.  I don't think I wanna mess with "probably".

O'Reilly has a Group 2 battery that's an inch or so longer than the 1, and has marginally better specs.  (675 ranking amps vs 625 and 185 minute reserve capacity vs 160)  It costs $97, and I don't think it has enough extra capacity to be worth it.
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 02:39:33 PM »
Det chord?

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
Det chord?

There's a "T" note in the musical scale?

Wiseassed Terry, who can't resist a wisecrack response when something like that is thrown at me. :apologetic:
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 02:55:41 PM »
In the "measure twice, cut once" sense, why not go out there and actually take a tape measure to the battery stand and figure out what will fit?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 04:10:34 PM »
Hey!!  It's more fun to cut first, then measure. :P
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 04:15:01 PM »
Buy both batteries, return the smallest or non-fitting one?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 05:32:58 PM »
In the "measure twice, cut once" sense, why not go out there and actually take a tape measure to the battery stand and figure out what will fit?

I did that.  The tray is 7x13".  The potential problem is there's only 9.5" clearance at the very front of the tray.  The big battery is about 9.5 inches tall, and I don't know how they measure that WRT the posts.  I could measure the battery and see, but I haven't been to Tractor Supply yet.

Just got back from visiting at the hospital.  My dad says the bigger battery will fit, cuz he's had one in there before.  But it's too heavy.  (too heavy for the tractor?)  So I think I have my answer: put another GS1 battery in there, unless I can find a GS2 starting battery for the same price...

And NAPA has a GS2 battery with a better warranty than TSC's and it;s the same price after a 10% "reserve online for store pickup" discount.

For a tie-down, I thought I might get some small polypropylene rope and wrap it around, and tie it off with a Truckers Hitch.  But I'll need to reinforce the corners with with some steel angles so I don't crush the battery case.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
12 volt battery gm 1 wire alternator ballast resistor a little bit of rewiring.

Most old tractors around here have 12V Neg Ground written on the hood.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG