Author Topic: Big Cheap Houses  (Read 1362 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Big Cheap Houses
« on: March 07, 2017, 04:19:47 PM »
Technically inexpensive rather than cheap. :)

I get these kinds of lists from the interwebz real estate sites a lot and some of them are quite enlightening. Like this sample of humongous homes at very reasonable prices. Especially so when I compare to CA. These would all be way too big for me to want to heat/cool/maintain, but it's an interesting comparison of price/geography.

https://www.trulia.com/blog/big-houses-for-sale-under-400-k/?ecampaign=con_eyecandy&eurl=www.trulia.com%2Fblog%2Fbig-houses-for-sale-under-400-k%2F
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: Big Cheap Houses
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 05:19:08 PM »
Wonder what condition these places are actually in . . . along with insurance, taxes, utilities, etc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091541/
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
Wonder what condition these places are actually in . . . along with insurance, taxes, utilities, etc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091541/

I can tell you the utilities are ridiculous on a big house. I have a family member in Texas that has a 5000 sq foot house. His utilities are on the order of $2500 a month IIRC.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 10:32:50 PM »

The first one I looked at was built in 1840-something, so...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 12:37:11 AM »
I don't want a big house.  I want a big outbuilding.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 07:18:35 AM »
I can tell you the utilities are ridiculous on a big house. I have a family member in Texas that has a 5000 sq foot house. His utilities are on the order of $2500 a month IIRC.

Unless he's got 20 people living with him I call no way.  We had 3200sqft and our high was during the summer of about 350 for electric, but then gas was lower at about 30 and water was about 60. He might be pushing a grand for his utilities, but if he's got a two story he's got multiple zones which keeps the house more efficient. 
That was in Houston, btw.  We ran the AC from about March to Nov.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 07:24:23 AM »
I would VERY much be at home in that Edwardian Queen Anne.

It's absolutely gorgeous.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 07:59:33 AM »
My Mother's house is about 4,200 sq feet, built in 1903.

The only bill that's outrages is the heating, primarily because it's oil fired. Electric is about $120 a month, averaged out.

So, to average $2,500 a month, he's either in an insanely priced area, or he's running the heat and air conditioning at the same time 24x7 and leaving every light on in the house all the time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 10:43:27 AM »
I'm in Texas . . . my house is considerably smaller than 5000 square feet, but making due allowance for size, $2500/month for utilities is way, WAY out of line unless he's keeping indoor temperature at 65 all summer and watering a couple of acres of lawn every day.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
I'm in Texas . . . my house is considerably smaller than 5000 square feet, but making due allowance for size, $2500/month for utilities is way, WAY out of line unless he's keeping indoor temperature at 65 all summer and watering a couple of acres of lawn every day.

Depends on the size of his grow operation.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »

Apparantly it's about 4500sqft

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »

I guffawed!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »

You probably know a lot about that stuff these days. What percentage of your customers are "gardeners"?  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »

Fistfuls wins innernetz today
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 02:52:59 PM »
You probably know a lot about that stuff these days. What percentage of your customers are "gardeners"?  =D

We have a hippy-dippy, "sustainable" gardening/composting/virtue-signalling business just down the street from where I work. I guess they soak up most of that business. Plus, they advertise, and we don't.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
I am old enough to know that list price is always, always a scam (to some degree)... you WILL forever end up paying much more for "the thing" of your interest.

The exception is, ironically, if you are buying off the black market. There the stated price, is usually the OTD price, IF you make it out the door

For a house that would be ITD price... in the door ;) :P
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 11:13:53 AM »
There are lots of older big cheap houses where I live, but you don't want to live in that neighborhood, (you won't get shot but anything not bolted down outside will walk off or your vehicle will be broken into several time), or the house is such bad shape it goes for land/lot price.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536