Author Topic: Dash Cams?  (Read 3859 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Dash Cams?
« on: March 08, 2017, 10:27:25 AM »
I think I need one. Don't have a lot of money to throw at it. Does anyone know anything about this model from Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Amebay-Vehicle-Dashboard-Camera-Recorder/dp/B01MQKW6CY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1488985832&sr=8-5&keywords=dash+cam
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Dash Cams?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:29:43 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:33:32 AM »
Getting your Russian motorist on?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 10:49:21 AM »
Make sure you get the law enforcement kind, that deletes any video you don't want.  [popcorn]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »
I use a Old Shark unit

The mount kinda sucks but everything else is good. I received it as a gift otherwise I'd have gotten a lower profile unit
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
C-clamp your phone to the rear-view mirror.

Funny thing is, one of my friends got a dashcam to capture all the exciting things on I-25 during his commute.

After that, nothing exciting ever happened.

Coincidence?  I think not.

Part of the "PON Effect."  ("Perversity Of Nature.")

(Don't know brand or style.)

Terry, 230RN

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »
C-clamp your phone to the rear-view mirror.

You'll need angle iron for that.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »
Funny thing is, one of my friends got a dashcam to capture all the exciting things on I-25 during his commute.

After that, nothing exciting ever happened.

Sounds like a smart investment.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 07:31:13 PM »
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 08:49:05 AM »
A colleague told me that current legal advice is not to get one. The reason is that in collision, you are more likely to implicate yourself, than exonerate yourself. Your dash cam data will be subpoena'd, and destroying it or refusing to turn it over will be destruction of evidence or contempt of court. But because dash cams are still rare, other parties in your accident will not have dash cams and it will be their word against your dash cam evidence. They can cook up any plausible story that meshes with your footage to make you look bad. Sort of like what happens when cop shootings happen, and a backstory gets concocted, and the video evidence "proves" the story. IANAL YMMV.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 09:21:45 AM »
A colleague told me that current legal advice is not to get one. The reason is that in collision, you are more likely to implicate yourself, than exonerate yourself. Your dash cam data will be subpoena'd, and destroying it or refusing to turn it over will be destruction of evidence or contempt of court. But because dash cams are still rare, other parties in your accident will not have dash cams and it will be their word against your dash cam evidence. They can cook up any plausible story that meshes with your footage to make you look bad. Sort of like what happens when cop shootings happen, and a backstory gets concocted, and the video evidence "proves" the story. IANAL YMMV.

That advice probably makes good sense for people who habitually drive "extra-legally." I don't. I'm the guy everyone hates on the highway -- I drive at the speed limit, I signal before changing lanes, I leave plenty of space between me and the vehicle ahead.

It was the last characteristic that resulted in my recent accident. Heavy, stop-and-go traffic approaching an interstate exit. I was in the right lane, because it was my exit. Left enough space in front that a young woman (with two kids in car seats) came flying up the middle lane, and jumped into the space I had left so she could take the exit. But she was going so fast that she had to slam on her brakes to keep from hitting the car that had been in front of me. I locked up  my brakes -- and a brake line popped, so I stopped when I hit her tailgate.

State cop gave me a break. I showed him that my brake peddle went to the floor, and he could see the brake fluid on the road, so he didn't issue a citation. Dash cam would have shown that she cut me off with no signal and essentially gave me a "brake job."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2017, 10:03:29 AM »
"State cop gave me a break. I showed him that my brake peddle went to the floor, and he could see the brake fluid on the road, so he didn't issue a citation. Dash cam would have shown that she cut me off with no signal and essentially gave me a "brake job.""

Mtnbkr didn't get any such break from the cops or the judge when a very similar thing happened to him years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »
That advice probably makes good sense for people who habitually drive "extra-legally." I don't.

Sorry but this just sounds naive, like people who insist it's ok to talk to the police because they didn't do anything wrong. All evidence can and will be used against you in a court of law yadda yadda...

Also just the fact of having a dash cam may be viewed with suspicion by a jury. Similar to how businesses always have only just as much security as they have to, based on the status quo of what other people are doing. If they use much more security, like people standing around with guns, people start to think it must be more dangerous, or they are "expecting trouble" etc. I'm not saying it's rational.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 02:35:32 PM »
When the weather improves and I start to commute by motorcycle, I see a lot of the same riders every day on the route.  In recent years, more and more of them are riding along with a GoPro mounted to the top of their helmet.  I asked one of them once about it, and he said he used it to document any aggressive drivers or situations that might or would cause him to crash.  He had it set to record 15 (if I recall correctly) minutes of video at a time, and then start the 15 minute loop again.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2017, 06:29:21 PM »
When the weather improves and I start to commute by motorcycle, I see a lot of the same riders every day on the route.  In recent years, more and more of them are riding along with a GoPro mounted to the top of their helmet.  I asked one of them once about it, and he said he used it to document any aggressive drivers or situations that might or would cause him to crash.  He had it set to record 15 (if I recall correctly) minutes of video at a time, and then start the 15 minute loop again.
By loop, does that mean it starts over every 15 minutes and deletes the old file or does it always have the last 15 minutes? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »
^^^My interpretation was that he always had the last 15 minutes of video.  I know nothing about GoPro cameras, so any mistakes in my story are my fault.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 10:18:33 PM »
I use a Phone app and my iPhone and it works quite well! Plenty of features too. It is OsmAnd DVR: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/osmand-dvr/id963873905?mt=8 Dirt cheap and works GREAT! Here's an example of what it looks like in action: https://youtu.be/LDX9Nz4F8F0
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 11:13:42 PM »
The Dash Cam in my truck saved me from a ticket last in 2015.  Nice to have video with GPS speed info embedded in it when I said "I wasn't driving 80, officer."  YMMV

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2017, 11:22:31 PM »
The Dash Cam in my truck saved me from a ticket last in 2015.  Nice to have video with GPS speed info embedded in it when I said "I wasn't driving 80, officer."  YMMV

Now that is interesting. I've never really looked into them and didn't know they do that. I'd look at the speed information as more of a primary use than the video if it's embedded in such a way that a cop or court will accept it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 11:46:05 PM »
I use a Phone app and my iPhone and it works quite well! Plenty of features too. It is OsmAnd DVR: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/osmand-dvr/id963873905?mt=8 Dirt cheap and works GREAT! Here's an example of what it looks like in action: https://youtu.be/LDX9Nz4F8F0

But if I use my phone as a dash cam, I won't be able to text while driving.
--Tallpine

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 11:33:49 PM »
The one I showed will record GPS info, speed, direction, TOD, elevation, audio, save after n minutes and start a new file. After n files/meg, it will overwrite the oldest file. It's also very configurable.

You can still get and answer calls using Bluetooth/hands free with it running.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2017, 07:18:08 AM »
TOD,

Time of Death?  Top of Descent? Torrent on Demand?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »
Totality Of Destruction

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »
Time of day, vs time to or from start.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2017, 03:46:30 AM »
Time Of Day
It is also easily exportable/uploadable to your YouTube account etc..
MOLON LABE!