Author Topic: Dash Cams?  (Read 3858 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Dash Cams?
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 04:04:38 PM »
It isn't if they never ship it.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 05:07:25 PM »
A colleague told me that current legal advice is not to get one. The reason is that in collision, you are more likely to implicate yourself, than exonerate yourself. Your dash cam data will be subpoena'd, and destroying it or refusing to turn it over will be destruction of evidence or contempt of court. But because dash cams are still rare, other parties in your accident will not have dash cams and it will be their word against your dash cam evidence. They can cook up any plausible story that meshes with your footage to make you look bad. Sort of like what happens when cop shootings happen, and a backstory gets concocted, and the video evidence "proves" the story. IANAL YMMV.
If the dash cam is not noted by first responders, then it would seem that nobody except you would even know footage would exist. Then you and/or your own lawyer can decide whether or not to introduce it later on after reviewing it yourselves.

Or . . . if it wasn't on, or the memory card wasn't in it . . . how could someone who decided to subpoena the footage prove its existence anyway?

IANAL YMMV
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
Or . . . if it wasn't on, or the memory card wasn't in it . . . how could someone who decided to subpoena the footage prove its existence anyway?

This; I generally stored my GoPro in a suction mount on my windshield.  Maybe 1% of the time it was actually on, and that pretty much when I was in Dallas or on ice.  The 2 hour battery life generally precluded using it for the entirety of long trips, and the PITA startup process kept it from being used on normal daily driving.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2017, 12:46:44 PM »
I bought a cheap one direct from china. Instructions sucked but it works. Has a g sensor that locks memory if g force is high. It continues to record for 5 mins then it locks that and the 15 mins before.
I am curious about the 360 versions
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »
This site and forum are tough to beat for in-depth reviews of different dashcams: https://dashcamtalk.com/

I use this one in my commute car: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U0OJMYG/

While the outer plastic shell is the same as some units others have posted, the sensor and lens glass are superior. Though you have to pay for what you're getting. There are often Youtube videos for different dashcams, sometimes two or three units on the same drive so you can compare the video quality directly, again dashcamtalk is a good place find links to same.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2017, 06:03:03 PM »
I bought a cheap one direct from china. Instructions sucked but it works. Has a g sensor that locks memory if g force is high. It continues to record for 5 mins then it locks that and the 15 mins before.

Looked at some like that at one point, but personally I'd rather have 5 minutes (or less) before and as much as possible, with audio, after.  (Since virtually all of my driving is in Texas, with single party recording consent, no issues with audio recording.)  No point having 15 minutes of driving (with any possible violations) when it's highly likely that only the last few seconds before impact are relevant, but if someone inadvertently admits to something, or just starts getting belligerent in the aftermath, I want that caught.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 01:29:04 AM »
We use DriveCam on our company vehicles.  It saves 10 seconds before, and 10 seconds after.  2 lenses, 1 forward, 1 rearward.  It records all sound for the 20 seconds, and the video shows a readout of g forces on 3 axes at all points in the video.  Also has speed and GPS coordinates.

Works well!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.